iPad New word game - Anagramalama

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Tmonine, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    #1 Tmonine, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  2. Tmonine

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
  3. DavidHolliss

DavidHolliss Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2008
    London, UK
    Does look decent yes.

For app info post this (without the two asterisks)

[app*info=full]iTunes link here[/app*info]

4. TheGreenLlama

TheGreenLlama Member

Sep 5, 2010
    West Midlands, UK
    Anagramalama - FEAR THE LLAMA!!!

Hi guys,

I quite like the game - been playing it for the last two months. But then I wrote it! ;-)

It's an 'arcade-oriented' word game which basically means a balance of action vs brain strain. It originally started out as a graphics test.

I don't know if anyone here is aware of an old British cartoon called 'Roobarb and Custard' (sic). It was a test to try to capture the 'wobbly' feel of that and morphed itself into an addictive puzzler. When I say addictive I don't mean to 'blow my own trumpet' (!) - I just mean I wrote it to be a game *I* find addictive - of course I hope others do to!

I'm new to this forum - but it looks like the custom to post some promotional codes, so if you'd like a free copy:

9J9NJK6JT3XY
    H4N6R3LJJHTH
    FR4JLNTMWKMR
    XTYLNXLHKLJR
    4YYEAPATXWN3
    H47K3LTN6EAF
    NP9XHPKLKNTR
    WT3PW9MHF7EP
    JPYA3PKHJMK7
    PT34TWP66TTK
    6EELHR3AAAEA
    W677HF9J7LF6
    YMETMMRF3YEK
    YJ47RMMXWW3K
    XH764WFWJ4MJ
    7X3JF39T36AK
    FJXHTYENFFP3
    X39LTN7JRWFN
    YNNYEH3JNK9Y

A rating and/or review would be appreciated! I'm developing this game independently (my day development job is a lot more mundane) so if there are any features you would like to see, drop me a line. You can also visit the main website at http://www.anagramalama.com

Thanks
    Andy aka TheGreenLlama

5. warcrack

warcrack Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Electrical Engineer
    TA
    Took:H4N6R3LJJHTH

6. secondtime

secondtime Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Thanks, I got 6EELHR3AAAEA.

7. RagManX

RagManX Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Word game? Count me in. Grabbed YNNYEH3JNK9Y. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the code.

8. ZureaL

ZureaL Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I took...

YMETMMRF3YEK -- I'll give it a spin. Thanks!

9. TheGreenLlama

TheGreenLlama Member

Sep 5, 2010
    West Midlands, UK
    @RagManX - Just spotted your review - thanks very much! A mate of mine suggested having the controls work vertically as well so that he can play it lying on the couch(!) - so I'll be tweaking the sensitivity side of things. I've got a number of tweaks ready to roll so I'll slip this one in and get the update out ASAP. Thanks again!

10. Tmonine

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    Game Impressions

Review - (ish)
    Ok; i dont normally do proper game reviews, so bear with me.

Anagramalama
    This is a basic word game where you have to make a word out of a set amount of letters before the time runs out. However, it is unlike conventional anagram games in that instead of simply pressing on the letters in order, you have to navigate your little red blob guy, Bob Wobbly, around the screen through the letters in order by way of tilting, all the while avoiding the annoying green llama who rushed across the screen, causing you to lose all your current collected letters.

Art; The art in this game is great. The wiggly doodle style is reminiscent of 'Roobarb and custard' (if you know that show) and the random varying backgrounds for each level has a really good effect. Each time the loading screen shows bob is decorated with different facial features which is also nice to look at rather than a boring loading screen. The letters are represented by newspaper-clipping style squares that doesn't really fit with the effective doodle theme but works well anyway.

Sound; The Main menu music is absolutely brilliant, yet sadly in the current version this does not carry over to in the actual game, where the only background audio is the beep of the timer. But when the llama comes he yabbas on about himself for the duration of his trip across the screen which is pretty funny and sounds cool. The game does not let you play your own ipod music, which is a real shame.

Gameplay; Unfortunately, due to a lack of tilt calibration, you have to be holding the device horizontal to play. This is probably one of the most damaging attributes to the game, as if you want to play in any other position (for example lying on the couch), you cant really do so comfortably. Collecting of the letters is really smooth and they are conveniently placed around the edge of the screen so you dont have to worry about hitting the wrong letter, but when you do there is a convenient red 'X' button to put back the last letter you picked up.

Highscores system; The game feature 6 slightly different game modes. you can start at either 5, 6 or 7 letter words and play with either 'common words' or 'anything goes'. Unfortunately, the only highscores there are is the top local score for each mode. No online scores, acheivements or even local top ten.

Overall this game really exceeds in both graphical and sound areas but is slightly lacking in gameplay and replayability. This is a good pick for it's first tier price point, considering that is probably less than a bar of chocolate will cost you, wherever you go and this will probably provide you with more enjoyment and not be as bad for your health. If this game was free i don't think may people would appreciate it as much as the app store is full of example of decent games going free then losing all their itunes ratings due to cheapskates with overly high expectations of free apps.

11. TheGreenLlama

TheGreenLlama Member

Sep 5, 2010
    West Midlands, UK
    Youtube gameplay video

I knocked up a quick gameplay video for Anagramalama last night - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRspr...ure=youtu.be&a

Shot by dangling my ageing camcorder from a cupboard door and playing in the dark! The true spirit of DIY game making...!

12. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
  13. deadclown

deadclown Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Looks great. I'd love to check it out. In fact, I am, and I took code YJ47RMMXWW3K

Thank you very much! I will put up a review if I like it (and I like all word games) :D

14. TheGreenLlama

TheGreenLlama Member

Sep 5, 2010
    West Midlands, UK
    v1.1 Submitted!

Hi Guys,

Hope I'm posting in the right place...mods, please obliterate this if I've done something wrong :eek: - anyway...

Version 1.1 was submitted to Apple yesterday - hopefully live in a few days. I've knocked up yet another video of the gameplay covering some of the new features. I hope you like it!

Cheers,
    Andy aka TheGreenLlama

iPhone Word Game - Anagramalama FEAR THE LLAMA updated!