New Site Design and Xenforo Migration

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by arn, May 28, 2018.

1. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I love the new design. Now if you could increase coverage to Android games too... I think it would be interesting. I went from Android 2.0 to iOS, and now I've gone back to Android 8.0. iOS and Android are so much more similar now than before in terms of games, that I'd love to see TouchArcade covering both systems.

2. DeNappa

DeNappa Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Netherlands
    #42 DeNappa, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    Overall I like the new design, only checked it on desktop though. And I agree a dark theme option would be nice.

Question though, is there still a Patreon 'vip' status for accounts? And if so, what privileges does it give?

/edit: Additional question, did the forum migration break the search for pre-migration posts? I was trying to check my post history, but I could only find the posts I made today.

Jayg2015 likes this.
  3. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    It might be that we need to rebuild the search index. I'll get that done today.

arn

lezrock and Matt33 like this.
  4. David1953

David1953 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    Are you going to fix the non working tabs at the bottom of the home page? This includes the “contact” link. Currently, running on iPad Pro with latest iOS version, none of these can be tapped on, so there is no way to contact the support team to report any issues.

5. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    It appears they took this option away. Really hope it comes back. The blue is much easier on the eyes than the blinding orange. Easier to read the thread titles as well.

6. moms pubis

moms pubis Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Something is up with the front page. The "News" sidebar tab is highlighted when you're on the home page, which could easily lead users to believe that they're already looking at the "News" page, when in fact clicking on the "News" tab brings you to a different page. News articles don't appear to be making it to the front page, either; the latest story there is from yesterday, while there have been three articles today that are only visible from the "News" tab (which, again, people may not realize they're not already looking at). Reviews should also be more visible on the front page; either mix them in with the news articles in the front page feed, or move the reviews sidebar further up on the left column. As it stands, I can't see the reviews on the front page at all without scrolling a fair bit down.

houseofg likes this.
  7. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Oh wow, you're right. I was wondering why there wasn't much article activity other than "best updates" today! Yeah that seems to make the launch/front page useless.

Sidenote: On my iPhone X (11.4) in Safari, I cannot scroll down, below the quote, to type my response there.

Side-sidenote: I don't think the hot games list is accurate or updating.

8. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    It’s going to take a lonnnnnng time for me to get use to this.

The biggest feature I miss is the game icon for each game when posted in the iPhone games section.
    It helped me locate th games by sight instead of title.
    It seems so crammed now and something about it I just can’t get use to

Jerutix likes this.
  9. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    This new site unfortunately does not let me post on mobile on my iOS 10 devices. I've tried two different phones so it's not an isolated issue. The only thing is I heard my friend on iOS 11 doesn't have that problem. I've did all the usual tricks of restarting the phone, clearing cache, logging in and out. Nothing works. The general problem is that the text input box NEVER shows up on the bottom of the thread pages.

This is so irritating because I mainly post on this site while I'm on my phone and now I can't post unless I'm on my PC. I hope this gets fixed.

10. Finandir

Finandir Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 7, 2010
    Thanks for all of the work to update the site. I'm still getting used to the new look, but I'm sure it will quickly feel familiar.

Is there any way to display more than 20 posts at a time on a thread? I used to show 50 at a time (or was it 100?). Less switching from page to page that way. I can't see any way to do that now, though.

11. Schnarf

Schnarf Member

Feb 25, 2010
    I am in 100% agreement. The forum was my go to location on TA, and I used the game icons to find threads I was interested in and to see new games. The removal of those icons has made something that was insanely intuitive become literal work to use.
    It is akin to a book store instead of putting new books on a shelf with their covers on display decided to show a picture of the publisher's logo and the book titles all in the same font on white pieces of paper on the same shelf.

Jerutix likes this.
  12. slammajamma28

slammajamma28 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Software Developer
    'Murrica
    I would also appreciate a night theme.

Jerutix likes this.
  13. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Really not a fan of this new site at all. Can you not view the desktop version anymore on an iPhone? Can’t stand sites that force you to view the mobile version only...

14. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    #54 nyanpass, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Reports and suggestions on some problems.

* It is more intuitive that the Thread icon is a game icon.

* There is a problem in Safari on iOS 10 that post can not be created.

*Desktop view mode and Night view mode

* In some postings, Google Chrome forbids touch arcade site for security reasons when using advanced editing(More Options menu) mode.

As the Touch Arcade site is being upgraded, administrators will be busy in many ways, but I'm sure that if these things are fixed and improved, it will be even more great TouchArcade. Thanks!

cyberknight23 and Jerutix like this.
  15. David1953

David1953 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    That’s exactly what happens to me if I try to post on my older iPad running iOS 10, which I have kept due to some apps being incompatible with iOS 11.

Fortunately, I can still post using my newer iPad Pro running iOS 11.

I sincerely hope that whoever redesigned this site will take in mind that a lot of people want to post here using either their phone or iPad, and many are reluctant to upgrade to iOS 11. It can be a hassle firing up the PC to properly use this site.

16. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    I can't logon on tapatalk

17. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    I'd like to second my opinion onto these as well. The new forums are really hard to use and taking away from the mission of TA. Key items to me are a different visual theme, and going back to game icons for thread titles. As of right now I'm only using the forum for the 1 game I'm currently playing, as opposed to how I used to look at all the threads for games with interesting icons.

18. Oscar Streaker

Oscar Streaker Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    #58 Oscar Streaker, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Hm... I can’t yet put my finger on why, but there’s something opaque and unintuitive about the new site. Maybe my brain needs time to adapt to the new design due to expectations/familiarity with the old layout. That said, I rarely feel this sense of confusion even when visiting websites for the first time...

Edit:
    One reason may be that the panes for ‘main stories’ at the top of the main page contain images that are improperly scaled and centered. The images accompanying the headlines are cut off or missing altogether. Rather disconcerting.

19. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Honestly I noticed I’m Using the site way less now.
    I hope this isn’t bothering anyone else like it has me.
    Too hard to find the content on my mobile device that I come here for.

20. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Thank goodness the “default” blue style is back as an option. That orange was just too hard on my eyes!