New Responsive Forum Theme Now LIVE

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by arn, Mar 24, 2015.

1. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    It's not as bad on iPad as on iPhone, but not being able to see if there are new posts or whether I have posted in the thread isn't great.

2. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Not familiar with new interface, so I still have some difficult while using...

3. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #103 Primoz, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    The WYSIWYG option in the text editor seems to be only available in the iPhone and iPad Games forum section (but not in it's sub-forums) and not anywhere else. It's also enabled there by default for me, eventhough I have the WYSIWYG option disabled in the user control panel.

4. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I don't know if it was already mentioned here, but when you use SPOILER tag, the text ***Spoiler appears in front of the tagged text (it wasn't there before) but the contents of the tags is still visible. It hides only when you roll your mouse cursor over it. Should be fixed to work correctly. Btw, using latest Firefox if that matters.

5. cthulhufan

cthulhufan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Sep 5, 2013
    Systems Engineer
    Missouri
    This actually was PEBCAK. Just wanted to let you know.

6. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    You weren't the problem. As mention in my post above, the WYSIWYG is enabled by default (only in the iPhone and iPad games section for some reason) and each time you refresh the page WYSIWYG gets enabled again. Very frustrating when you are in advanced settings and keep editing and previewing your post as this option is enabled each time. It's especially frustrating when on my phone, because the buttons don't seem to work there properly.

Could we get [youtube(hd)] tags in the editor?

Oh and a lot of buttons seem to be nonfunctional in the text editor. Ordered list, unordered list, indets, email link, code wrap and previously mentioned increase/decrease textbox.

7. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I am very disappointed with the integrated forum search engine being removed and being forced to search the entire sites catalog of threads, also coupled with the fact that the search engine still does not register results for words containing less than four letters.

8. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    It wasn't removed. http://forums.toucharcade.com/search.php

9. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Liking the new look and theme a lot so far, of course it takes some time getting used to.

The thread I'm mostly in broke down with this new theme though. I'm not sure if it's an account setting or something, please advise if that's the case.

It's about this (old, but still relevant) Phoenix HD thread. It shows 158 pages, but the last 25 pages are empty. The last post is actually on page 133, the following pages are empty. My guess is that this is caused by banned users or hidden posts? I remember it caused some issues back in the days so it seems this has resurfaced with this update.

Or it could be something else :)

Also, it would be amazing if the above thread could be linked on the Phoenix HD App page on TouchArcade instead of the wrong thread. It's been an endless crusade to get that fixed, but maybe mentioning it here again helps :)

10. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009

11. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Yes, but it's usually not like that. The pages in the Phoenix thread are actually empty and they can be visited. Here is another thread that has 2 empty pages, but the nice thing is that if you go to the last page, it won't show an empty page, but it will take you to the page where the last post is.

12. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Used ta through a browser today and it's gonna take some getting used to. It too me ages to fine where the private messages are lol.

13. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Is there any way to switch back to the old theme? I tried some of the other options but they all look the same.

The theme through safari on my iphone (4s with 6.1.3) looks really bad when you view any thread that has appinfo. The appinfo section is cut off in vertical mode and when turning horizontal it just shows a black background instead of the info that was cut off. The old theme worked fine for this. Maybe this new theme is for ipad only or it has no way to determine if you are on an ipad, iphone, ipodtouch? I feel like the font is too big since there's no option to pinch and zoom in/out... but in general the content of threads (outside of any media most importantly appinfo) are easy to read. So one plus but the overall theme seems like a big negative and the old theme was pretty readable on phone especially in horizontal view.

On pc with Firefox the text has too much black bold text. The links to Quote, Multi, Reply are far too bold and big. Maybe another color would look better like a dark gray or blue or something? As is, it just looks weird. Especially the quote marks.

In IE8 (yeah I know it's 8) the formatting looks all funky for the threads. The search box over flows it's boundary. The images in appinfo are restricted to odd dimensions. There are a ton of other errors. It's a mess. Not that IE8 is something worth supporting, just thought you might want to try some other browsers to see how it looks and functions.

14. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Tried them all as well. There is no way to go back to the old theme. *crosses fingers that they'll add that option*

The forum layout automaticaly adjusts to your browser's window size (= device screen size). I guess thats why it is called the "responsive" forum theme.

15. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

When will all this affect the app?

16. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Where is this in the menus, there use to be a search tool in the drop down on the top right of each section of the forum and that's not there anymore. This link you provided will work, it's just not integrated like it use to be. Thank You for the help.

17. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    Could you send me screenshots of the issues?

[email protected]

18. chrberni

chrberni Administrator

Sep 4, 2009
    Developer
    initial deployed fixes given feedback

Sorry, we've been slow in getting back given all your feedback, which is appreciated by the way!

Some fixes that have been deployed live:
    - Top logo now links to main site home. Re: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=3507859&postcount=23
    - Avatar inconsistencies addressed. Re: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=3507873&postcount=24
    - Advanced search link added. It should appear when mousing over the search text field. Re: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=3511519&postcount=116

Thanks again,
    chris

19. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    Bummer, on my work PC whatever code that allows for the pop-up/drop-down menus when hovering with the cursor doesn't work with our IE browser settings, so can't log in or even use 99% of the forum features.

Strictly iOS app reading for me, I guess...

20. chrberni

chrberni Administrator

Sep 4, 2009
    Developer
    Was that not the case before this new theme?