New Real Racing video and screenshots: heavy downgrade total?

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by arta, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #1 arta, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2009
  2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    not sure about the talk of downgrade.

1) there were no screenshots before (that we posted).
    2) You can click on the thumbnail and get a larger shot in the original article.

arn

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

If watching the HD trailer doesn't knock your socks off... I really don't know what to tell you. ;)

4. Pal Van Marrsterhausen

Pal Van Marrsterhausen Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    The video looks good but nothing better than what we haven't seen already in other driving games. I was expecting much more. :(

5. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    We haven't seen "inside the car, driver's eyes" view in any iTouch/Phone racer.

For that alone I'm looking forward to it.

6. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #6 arta, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2009
    Current video

[hqyoutube]0r9x8Cq3gJU[/hqyoutube]

Previous videos:

[hqyoutube]RViSZUB96LY[/hqyoutube]

[hqyoutube]bDcpeeHxgC8[/hqyoutube]

VAST DIFFERENCE. Talk about a bait and switch campaign! :eek:

7. danc4498

danc4498 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Unrelated, I'd love to see a driving game where when you tilt the screen, the image on screen tilts in the opposite direction so no matter how much you turn, the image is always oriented correctly.

8. Pal Van Marrsterhausen

Feb 19, 2009
    Even if the handling is poor? By looking at the video it looks like more time will be spent off the track than on the track...

9. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Yeah that's a great feature, especially when you're laying down in bed tired. Last place you want to be disoriented.

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I don't think bait and switch means what you think it means.

11. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Someone care to point out the vast differences which are suppose to have happened here? the game looks just like what I seen already with only one difference I see being that the cpu cars are now a little lower poly, otherwise it looks just as good to me.

I think whoever was playing in the latest video was way too jumpy with his steering and generally driving poorly, not the game's fault there.

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

We're just looking at development videos, and this is part of the reason why a lot of developers are apprehensive about releasing much information regarding projects which are works in progress. They said in the interview that they have a lot of experience in making making amazing visuals on meager hardware. I'm guessing the differences you guys are seeing are just optimizations as they made tradeoffs between things like draw distance vs car polygon count or track polygon count vs the number of AI racers the game can support, etc.

With how long this game has been in development, and the experience of the team, I have no doubt what is going to be delivered will knock our socks off. To call this a bait and switch, quite honestly, is laughable.

13. Pal Van Marrsterhausen

Feb 19, 2009
    Handling appears to be a recurring issue with most driving games for this platform, the trailer seems to have not addressed this. It would make sense to post a video of a proficient driver as this just makes me a bit wary, although the graphics do look good but as what's already been stated nothing that we haven't seen already. Still time to tweak though!

14. Looks good to me hope a lite version comes out for it so we can get a feel for it. Didn't like Firemints pink slip as it was too hard for me but graphic wise it was great. I really wanted to get to the cop mode but couldn't. Also didn't have brake or accel but don't think that was firemints fault probably whoever commisioned them (i-play) to make the game. Which doesn't make much since to me since i-play said dumb it down to make it accessible to the casual crowd but make it really hard so hardcore won't complain.

15. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    Hah. I thought the video was intentionally showing off the off-road skid marks and smoke. :)

Not sure it's a handling problem but just programmers happy about their effects.

arn

16. Pal Van Marrsterhausen

Feb 19, 2009
    Why's the thread been moved?

17. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    cause it's an upcoming game?

arn

18. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    That's already a feature used in some racers on this platform

For instance, Firemint's previous racing game, Fast and Furious Pink Slip 3D, employed that "screen tilt".

So does Fastlane Street Racing. And some of FishLabs' games, iirc.

You tilt in one direction, the onscreen visuals tilt in the opposite in such a way that allows for the orientation to remain in the neutral position even as you turn the device.

I think the video is meant to show the different effects, etc. Previous videos of the game showed less off track driving.

Also, I disagree with the assessment that you gave concerning the issues of "poor handling" for racing games on this platform. Fast and Furious Pink Slip, Fastlane Street Racing, and even something like Snail Mail all have pretty superb handling using the accelerometer. I find that gamers who often complain about the handling in such racers often don't "get it", and tilt the device way too much. Remember: it's very, very, very slight movements. That's all that is needed. And the learning/difficulty curve associated with "getting it" is half the fun of these racing games on iTouch/Phone, IMHO.

Same deal with most games on the Wii. Yes, I know in commercials the actors are spazzing out and moving the Wiimote in ridiculously exaggerated motions, and that may enhance the "fun factor" of such games like Wii Sports...but some people seem to think that transfers to all the games. They should avoid making such movements in something like Metroid Prime 3 and then blame the game for their not being able to grasp the idea of slight movements.

19. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    this looks better than NFS

20. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Wasin't Firemint on a plane? He's online.