New Rasta Monkey Gameplay video

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Noam, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I don't think it will be out today but if it is...I will purchase no even at $5.99 I really have no problem forking over 5-6 bucks for an awesome game...

2. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Hi Noam, a few questions:
    1. How many levels will there be?
    2. Will all the levels have similar scenery with same trees, same background and just different layout of obstacles and path? Or would the levels be different like Mario? eg: Mountain, Desert, Sky, etc?

3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Developer
    hi donkei
    We dont believe in giving a lot of levels which are short and have repetitive elements, so Rasta Monkey will include 10 long levels, with each level having new game elements in it. All in all it will provide hours of gameplay in a very affordable price.

4. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    So it's more like Mario and Sonic, isn't it? I agree with you, I also prefer long levels and each level should be different so it feels progressive, not repetitive.

I long for those old platformers days on my Sega Genesis: Sonic, Bubsy, and even Disney games were pretty good back then!! (Lion King, Aladdin)

5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Developer
    Yeah, we really love those old platformers too! and that was the kind of feel we were hoping to combine with a more physics based gameplay. I forgot to answer your other question though - Right now we have two different skins to the levels and we hope to add more once we solve some memory cleaning issues.

6. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Hey Noam, I wanted to ask....does the Rasta Monkey have a name???

7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Developer
    We kinda thought that Rasta Monkey is his name, but you might have a point here. Lemme think and get back to you on this one.

8. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    What about: Jah-mon....get it.... Jamming....I'm dumb sorry Noam.

9. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Hearing that is enough to convince me buy your game :)

Please do. It would be great to travel around the world with Rasta Monkey. I have such a fond memory of how beautiful it was to explore the world with Bubsy – MY first platformer game (I did play many games on older consoles before that, but they're my cousin's or my sis', not mine).

and btw, what's with the title? sorry, but it might sound a bit racist to some extent?

10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Developer
    Hey, I remember Bubsy before he went 3d:) real fun game!
    As to the title, I'm very surprised that people think its racist. We adore the Rastafarian culture and music (all the music was created in-house by our band) and we were actually trying to idolize it by making the likable hero of our game a rasta.
    I'm pretty sure a Rastafarian would not consider this game racist, on the contrary.

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Developer
    lol, youre far from dumb, and its actually pretty good name, thx.

12. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Awesome. I'm a huge Reggie/DUB/Roots fan and the reason I was so drawn to the game was the "vibe". I honestly hadn't thought about it being a race issue until someone on the forum brought it up. I think that is an example of the negative effects of the current "politically correct" culture we live in. The whole monkey comparison is just hyperbole. Personally I love monkeys....and I love the Rastafarian culture....and that's where it should end.

13. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    @Noam:
    Yes, Bubsy was super fun! Too bad the 3D version killed it for good :(

Re name, I was telling my friend about this game and he said, "what? calling us rasta monkey!?". He was only joking though, heheh. Maybe it's the word 'monkey'. I remember him telling me how in elementary school his friends called him monkey because he's black.

@le'deuche123: I quite like your name suggestion :D

14. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009

Thanks donkei, I was half serious when I said it....but now I think I like it:D

15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Developer
    Of course you like monkeys! Once all men were monkeys:)

Yeah, 3d, killed a lot of good games that were not supposed to be 3d in the first place:)
    As to the title, we can't do that now, it's too late and I think it will also attract more negative attention. The story about your friend is awful, people can be so harsh sometimes. I still hope he will understand that this is definitely not the case here.

16. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Just to clarify....I love the Rasta Monkey Title, and have no desire to see it changed:) I agree trying to change the title would cause more harm than good.

EDIT: I was just trying to name the monkey not the game:D

17. cazure

cazure Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Oh, I really, really think that this could be great. I tried the online version, and it was pretty good...but price and reviews will be what makes it for me. :)

Can't wait for this to come out!

18. arono

arono Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Sam's town
    So noam I have a new question
    Will this be released everywhere?
    I don't want that happens with this game what happened with the oregontrail I was excited about it and now I can't buy it

19. renton

renton Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2008
    freelance design
    california
    @noam are you on twitter? i like to follow devs that update their twitter with goals about their games, and also stuff about what makes them tick... ect..

this game is going to be good with a nice spliff and some dubstep.. like burial, djg, appleblim... the dubstep that is more 'roots' connected..

20. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    3D almost killed Sonic too. It's still alive, but plays nothing like the original Sonic.

Re name, sure he understands, and I'm sure everyone would understand too once they actually play the game (not just hear the title).

I like your idea about Rasta culture, exploring it might add some unique elements to the game. eg: Sonic has rings, loops, those little robotic creatures. Mario has pipe, bricks, mushrooms. Now you can have your own elements, eg: certain kind of hats, accessories, etc. Or is it too late to give any suggestions now? :p