iPad New Pocket God update submitted

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by davecazz, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davecazz

davecazz Well-Known Member

#1 davecazz, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
    Hey Guys, been a little under the weather and couldn't write an update. We just submitted a new update on Sunday night for Pocket God. As usual, it contains an engine improvement and some new features.

The engine improvement is a touch input queue that waits for the render loop to process it. Most sample apps on the iPhone use a timer function to render their game, they set the render function to trigger every 1/30th of a second and have that function render their entire scene. The problem with this, is that if the render function takes longer than a 30th of a second, they start to pile up one one another and prevent the input handlers from doing its job, if you have ever had a game that is unresponsive to touch input, this is what's probably happening.

So, we had put the render function and game logic into a separate thread so it wouldn’t interrupt the touch controls. However, there was a side effect that was causing some locking issues with our logic, since the touch handler is in the normal app thread, it was calling functions in the game logic that was in turn modifying some of our data structure at the exact same time that a function in the main game loop was modifying it and sometimes the state flags would get set in a weird state for the pygmies.

so, I created a queue where the app thread just records what happens without interpreting anything and when the game loop gets to a safe place, it just goes through the queue and processes everything.

The functionality change was to play with a Volcano and fire. We now have a Volcano in the background and if you hit a pygmy into it, it will change states from... smoking, lava coming out along the side, full on eruption with globs of lava peppering the island, if one of the pygmies gets hit, then they catch on fire, run in a panic and jump in the ocean.

The cool thing about the engine so far, is most of it is scripted in xml. our artist exports bitmaps after animating it in flash, registers the bitmap as a texture in xml, defines an animation that are made up of various textures, and then adds different animations, sounds, tweens, etc to various scripts that I call when a collision event occurs, or a type of input happens.

Hopefully this update will be approved by Thursday, we are already planning to submit another functionality update on Sunday night again that involved different ways of playing with earthquakes and the accelerometer controls.

We appreciate any feedback that you can give us, a lot of people gave us a link to interactive buddy and we are definitely looking to add some cool features along those lines.

2. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    I really love the game and am looking forward to this new update!

3. kramszed

kramszed Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
  4. emb531

emb531 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Wow, the new update with the volcano and lava sounds awesome! As do the upcoming accerlerometer based earthquake controls, will pick this one up soon for sure.

5. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Awesome, im glad i got this! Keep up the good work!

6. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Really, you recommend?

7. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    throwing

this may sound ridiculous, but is there a trick to throwing them into the volcano. every time i throw them they just land in the water in front of the island or on the island. any help?

8. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Same problem here: it seems impossible to throw them into the background. Please help. By the way, the music loop is funny but too short and annoying.

9. davecazz

You have to flick them really far start way below them, for the next update I could make it easier if everyone agrees. also, you need to aim it at the volcano, if it goes to one side, it will land short and not go in.

10. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    AAAAhahaha, I did it....too funny!!! :)
    Love the clapping sound! :)
    And now after knowing how to (it's clear after watching your info-screen) I like it and wouldn't change it! Then it's kind of a little ingame :)

11. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    But now I also want to see GABO on the iPhone!

12. THEDeliriumTrigger

Dec 4, 2008
    Yes!

No dont change it! Its good! You just have to flick fast, but not so fast it wont pick up your touch, and faster than if you pick them up.

13. davecazz

ok cool, when you develop something it becomes really easy to play the game, wanted to make sure its not irritating.

14. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    D/L Now... Just waiting for this retarded backup time!...?!?!

15. Chumbake

Chumbake Well-Known Member

I'm definitely getting this. In fact I'm picking up my phone to download now!!!

16. davecazz

Yea, it seems like Gabo was canned, I wonder what was so upsetting that it didn't pass. Maybe they had a problem with seeing the cave man's balls.

17. THEDeliriumTrigger

Dec 4, 2008
    No, i figured it out fine on my own, so i think its a good method. If people have an issue, then others could easily explain it.

And kudos to the update, its so fun! I mean, there could def be more to do, but i can tell you guys are still working hard on this, and im more than content with what i have knowing theres more to come.

18. davecazz

Awesome, I'm glad we are turning around peoples impressions, the next update, earthquake, will be fun, we have 3-4 functions along this theme that we will add, and we started talking about some cool ideas for lightning that will probably be the update that follows this one.

I think after 4 or 5 of these kinds of updates we still want to build this into more of a persistent state game. probably the first update in this direction will include getting points for sacrifices (with some kind of balancing system) and spending them on island upgrades. they could be just new types of islands, making the island bigger, or new decorations on your island, another idea I had, was a ressurection station, maybe there is a pygmy priest that you can buy that will automatically hit the plus button for you.

It would be good to get feedback for this direction as well. We want to add game play but it should definitatly be in the spirit of what we already have.

19. THEDeliriumTrigger

Dec 4, 2008
    This all sounds brilliant, i would love getting points for that type of stuff. I also think its good that you keep adding events each update, before getting into value system, i mean we need something to get points with! And im sure the more updates that come out, the more suggestions you will get, which you could add later on down the line.

20. davecazz

Yea, I totally agree. Points are worthless without cool stuff to do.