New Nintendo console to be revealed at E3; Sources say more powerful than PS3/360

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Scrooge, Apr 14, 2011.

1. matthewwhatever

matthewwhatever Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2010
    government
    Ottawa, Canada
    The hi-def touch screen idea sounds intriguing, but if they are doing it, it's got to mean that they're abandoning motion gaming -- as Games Radar pointed out, would you want to swing around your iPod/iPhone? On top of that, it seems as though it would make buying new controllers a ridiculously expensive proposition...like, they'd have to be at least three times as much as Wii controllers.

Of course, if they could somehow make it so that you could take your games on the go with the controller, then it'd be totally worth it. (But then they'd be competing with their own portable device, so that's not happening.)

Also, RE: the next Xbox, Microsoft recently posted jobs that seem to be related to their next generation console, so they're clearly working on something too.

2. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    :p - it's the same for every nintendo system (except SNES) - I usually own about 12-13 games, and most of them are first party Nintendo titles.

The games I am mainly interested on the Wii are:

Zelda: Skyward Sword
    Donkey Kong Country Returns
    Epic Mickey
    Goldeneye 007
    Mario Kart Wii
    New Super Mario Bros. Wii
    Super Paper Mario
    The Virtual Console (it would be nice to have my favourite SNES and 64 games again - I completely regret selling both systems to save up for a Gamecube, though I still love my GC)

The Wii Sports and such really don't interest me :p

3. Xyo

Xyo Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2011
    The Wii might have been revolutionary, but it wasn't meant for matured gamers. I have a feeling this new system will be the same.

I'll be waiting for Microsofts new system :D.
    Or maybe.. I'll stick with mobile gaming..

4. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    I still don't understand what makes someone a more "matured" gamer... is it just based on the level of tolerance to violence and profanity, or is it based somewhere on the gameplay.

Because I just don't see where having tons of blood, sex, or profanity makes anything more mature - not saying anything in favour of censorship, but there is something to be said for restraint so the product can appeal to a large(r) age demographic.

And if it is because of gameplay - I always find that Nintendo's first-party games are usually some of the most polished and thoughtful experiences in the medium - though I am biased as I grew up playing Nintendo games.

Don't get me wrong - I too am eagerly awaiting what Microsoft and Sony do next, but I think it would be a mistake to write off Nintendo based on the notion that their games are not for "matured" gamers.

/rant

5. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #45 dumaz1000, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
    I don't want any of those first-party Nintendo IP games. Nintendo is sorely lacking in consistant, long-term third-party support. They will never rise within the marketplace without it.

The controller idea was sort of stolen from Sega, from the Dreamcast. What Sega had imagined back then was kind of ahead of its time. I guess it was only a matter of time before someone revisited it. I cannot imagine that the controller would be as powerful as the system itself and be capable of actually playing the exact same games. It would absolutely change everything if that were possible. But it's not. It can't be. Whatever that controller plays, it almost assuredly won't exceed the quality of game you get from out of dedicated handheld gaming device.

The other aspect of the controller would likely be an attempt to recreate the same general feeling of a PC mouse. Incorporating a mouse into console gaming is certainly an intriguing prospect

6. psykano

psykano Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Student
    Canada
    Of course Nintendo chooses the route of the wacky new controller. I'm genuinely impressed at how their controller design gets wackier each console generation.

7. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
  8. janitor

janitor Member

Apr 14, 2011
    I`m a bit skeptic of the new controllers. Is it really necessary to have another display on them?