New Nintendo console to be revealed at E3; Sources say more powerful than PS3/360

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Scrooge, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

Nintendo needs to go back to their roots, and remember what made them so fun. Hint: its not gimmicky motion controls and graphics that don't compete.

I'm all for innovation, but sometimes I just wanna escape and play a game, not get an arm workout.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Hint: Nintendo's "gimmicks" have resulted in two consoles that basically print money.

3. Paradiso

I don't dispute the fact that they're profitable and popular. I know people will flock to whatever hardware Nintendo releases.

4. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    Exactly why I don't believe the formula will change too drastically for their next iteration. Sure, it'll have current hardware, but I think motion controls are here to stay, whether you like it or not.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gimmicks may make money, but they still suck. Often to the extent they'll simply be phased out later on.

6. Paradiso

That's what I think too. Just cause they can do something doesn't mean they should. But it's about money, so we have to deal with gimmicks galore.

Until they make the perfect Virtual Reality video game, there's always gonna be some distinguishable prosthesis between user and game. Maybe I'm the only one that was satisfied with a controller :p

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

But of course Nintendo is going to do everything they can to make as much money as possible. They're a publicly traded company not some kind of hardcore gamer charity.

8. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    And me ;)

I don't mind technology evolving and trying this stuff out, but I play games knowing they're games. It's how I get away from real life so why do I need to blur the line with motion controls and 3D? I've never wanted games to emulate realism to the extent I can't tell the difference but some companies seem to think it's the way to go.

Edit: there we go, I knew we'd agree on something :p

9. Paradiso

I wish life was more like Game Dev Story. There are quite a few people in the industry I'd like to level up a few times.

10. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I like motion controls when they're used well. My main beef with the Wii (and the 3DS) is how inept Nintendo is when it comes to online, and I'm not really talking about online multiplayer games, though that too, I mean things like having a great download store with demos for everything, not just a handful of available limited demos, getting rid of friend codes and supporting accounts/profiles, with good and easy to use parental controls, the ability to send messages to your friends (I'm still in shock that Nintendo didn't even consider that people might want to send their friends messages on the 3DS), the ability to see your friends progress in games and for a universal achievements system, etc.

Unfortunately Nintendo has publicly said that they don't like some of these things, and the shortcomings of the 3DS are quite distressing. It's like they just don't get it. Unless they do get it, and soon, the Wii sequel is likely to share many of the same shortcomings as the 3DS and Wii. I'll still buy it and play the 1st party games, and I'm sure there will be great ones, but it will still be a disappointment.

I hope I'm wrong, of course and do look forward to seeing what they announce. I also hope it's coming at the end of this year and not next.

11. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    Microsoft? Last? No, Sony will be the last one just like with the PS3, they wait longer, and their console wins in the long run (like the PS3). They know this and will be last, won't sell as many at first, but it will be the better deal.

12. CaptainAwesome

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    How is the PS3 winning? It's the better console spec-wise, but companies are all about revenue. As far as I know, the 360 still has more sales, and the recent motion control releases have proven more lucrative for Microsoft than Move has for the PS3.

My guess is that they're going to try and close the gap between release dates as much as possible to avoid the huge loss in revenue that was evident with the PS3 launch. But Microsoft seems to be holding their cards close, so whether either company is going to release a home console in the next couple of years is a little iffy; Kinect and Move were released too short of a time ago to justify creating an entirely new system.

13. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    I think I am going to buy back into Nintendo when they release their new console - I've been wanting a Wii for a while because of the new Donkey Kong, and the upcoming Zelda game.

14. CaptainAwesome

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    #34 CaptainAwesome, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
    According to IGN, the console is codenamed "Project Cafe" and has a controller with two thumbsticks (welcome to 1994, Nintendo) and a six-inch touchscreen (Where the heck would they fit it? Perhaps on the back, I guess...). Apparently, you can stream "content" to the controller's screen (a la the Nintendo DS, I would guess, with little add-on activities to enhance the game) and you can actually stream entire games to the controller itself.

Of course, this is all from IGN's "sources," so keep your grains of salt close.

15. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    if it is true - hopefully it will be backwards compatible with the Wii and its controllers as well.

16. MrThreeCats

MrThreeCats Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2011
    The touch screen sounds like an interesting idea. It would be a good place to put HUD elements and quick buttons. 6-inches is a bit much though, and if it's backwards compatible with the Wii then it will have to either detect Wiimote controllers or make the new controller compatible with Wii games. I don't see how that will work.

17. CaptainAwesome

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    Wiimotes connect simply by Bluetooth. Bluetooth devices are easy to distinguish from one another; if the new controller also connects via Bluetooth, I don't imagine it would be a problem, and if it doesn't, then you'll just have to pack two receivers into the box instead of one.

And maybe the sensor bar will be the same. Who knows?

18. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
  19. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
  20. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    That's the trap the rest of us fell into:

"I want a Wii for Zelda, Smash Bros and Mario Galaxy!"

"Awesome, I'm playing Zelda, Smash Bros and Mario Galaxy!"