New most Members online

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by brewstermax, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    This promo thing is annoying as hell especially because I (being located in Europe and stuff) can't redeem the codes.:D

2. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I'm not getting in a political arguement, but WHO CARES WHAT HIS MIDDLE NAME IS, if he's a Muslim, he's a Muslim. It doesn't matter. The U.S. has no national religion, and Muslims are perfectly respectable people. I don't get the hatred of a minority like this.

3. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I have concerns about this too. I found Touch Arcade after searching for user feedback on apps as at that time there were not many reviews in the Australian iTunes store. I lurked for a while and then I decided to join in. I can honestly say that if I had made my first visit to the Touch Arcade forums during the last week then I doubt I would have hung around.

Forums can get heated at times. Words are harsher when you can't see a person and read their body language. It's harder to pick up on sarcasm. It can be harder to tell when someone is joking. Forum users are essentially anonymous and this tends to lead to people being less restrained in what they say and how they say it.

A forum that has more participants has a broader range of opinions and therefore it often has more potential for arguments. I think that the promo code giveaways were a trigger for the recent issues here. There was a large jump in new members. Some exsisting members were resentfull when they missed out on receiving promo codes. And it went downhill from there. Can you imagine what it would have been like if the promo codes could be used outside the US?

I'm hoping that the new forum rules, the new forum moderators, and the developers who are starting to be smarter about how they give away promo codes will prevent the forum from becoming a "beg-fest".

And of course I'm also hoping that both the existing members and the new members will be working hard to keep the forums as a place where we are all welcome and where we can all share our thoughts on apps.

4. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Arn, please make a sub-forum specifically for promo codes and such. It is congesting the main game forum. Every post is about it, and please mods, ban anybody asking for promo codes, and force devs to use the promo code sub-forum. I wish that promo codes were more like beta provisioning, it would keep devs and people from giving/asking for them so much.

I have nothing against them, its just it gets so annoying that 10 posts on the first game page is about promo codes for such and such game.

5. Thanks for your responses from my post guys. I am glad I share my concerns. I will ask Arn to read these posts. It is up to him then if he wants to act on them or see how it goes.

6. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    yeah, I'm aware of the promo code madness. I was waiting to see how it played out before doing anything drastic. I have ideas how to make it better... but just keeping an eye on it for now.

arn

7. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    most users: 260 as of today.

arn

8. Spindler

Spindler Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
  9. arn

arn Administrator