New iMac-Old Backup

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by WellSpentYouth, Oct 23, 2010.

1. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Hey guys/gals!

I'm going to make this simple and to the point. I ordered an iMac Wednesday and it is still on its way. I have a MacBook aluminum and an external hard drive onto which I backup my MacBook. Now, the MacBook has iLife '08 and the iMac has iLife '11. I was going to restore the iMac to the latest backup of my MacBook, but then I would lose iLife '11.

Is there a way to get my MacBook file, folders, programs, settings, etc. onto my iMac WITHOUT kicking out iLife '11 or any other new, cool stuff that it might have pre-installed? Or am I totally shooting from the wrong angle, is there another way that I could/should be transferring over the files? My iMac has a firewire port, but the MacBook does NOT.

Thanks, I appreciate your help :)

-Robert

2. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    Why would you do that?

The only important things on the MacBook are your personal data and Documents.

I´d just copy them and install all the other apps manually on the iMac.

It´s safer this way. And maybe because of different kernels (video, I/O etc.) the MacBook backup might not even work on the iMac.

But you SHOULD get some installer DVDs with you iMac anyway.

3. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    This is the first time that I have needed to transfer all my stuff from an old mac to a new mac.

So how would you suggest copying them over? Connecting the external HD and manually dragging folders over? There has to be a better way...

Ok, I was suspicious about that.

I sure hope it comes with restore discs, I may need them ;)

-Robert

4. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Call Apple support they can walk you through this for free, and I'm sure you can do the transfer over bluetooth through comp share. My old roommate and I used to swap iTunes libraries this way.

5. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Yeah, calling Apple is probably my best bet. Swapping iTunes libraries would be fine over bluetooth, but 120gb of stuff would probably take quite awhile :)

Thanks guys!

6. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Have you thought about using Time Machine?