iPad New Genre?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NotYou, Nov 16, 2008.

1. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    There seems to be a growing trend with retro styled games that aren't retro. Blue Defense (was Defend!) is a good example. It seems retro somehow, but it's definitely not. Vextrax also feels retro but isn't.

Tonight, a game called Incline came out.
    http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=296743758&mt=8
    It has simple bright graphics, sort of like Blue Defense. The gameplay isn't retro at all, but the style is something that seems to be catching on in the App Store.

Is this a genre yet? I hope devs keep making these kinds of games. I think they're a lot of fun.

2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    interesting thought.

I don't know if it's really a genre. I think these games were inspired by the older games. Blue Defense looks very vector based. But it may be a side effect of low budget indie developers who can't afford artists and whatnot.

arn

3. eyemh8

eyemh8 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    To stay stupid
    Estes Park co.
    I'm really enjoying incline. I don't know what to call them but I hope it's the start of a trend. Would you call cube runner one of these I would

4. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I've been enjoying Incline too. The lower difficulties aren't even worth trying, but the harder two are pretty fun. It's one of those games that makes you keep saying "just one more" over and over.

5. monk666

monk666 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    @NotYou

I'm new here and here's my 2cents.

I'm only 50% with you...

Any publisher knows that NEW equals RISKS. Assuming they have a good dev team, it is _always_ safer to assign them to do, for example, a racing game as oppose to something new.

The evidence is right on the appstore top 100 games. There are tonz of cards, sudokus, racing, desktop-game-ports or "tradition games" if you like it, on there. New genre games? Very few. Games like line rider could be considered new and is a rare exception of something new that did well. I came across a lot of new innovative games that flopped terribly. The irony of it all: like the game ZA! (which i saw in your sig) took a risk and tried something new with the TD genre. I like the game, it is a lot of fun for a buck. But it doesn't seem to be doing well at all. The general public just don't snuggle up to new gameplay easily. :(

As i see it, doing another game-port, racing or card game is just safer than doing anything new. The general public is just too adverse to trying out new genre games. Most of us fear things (even games) we'd never seen or tried before. It is not true for everyone, but it is for the majority.

6. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I am a huge retro gaming fan, so if they were to give retro games their own category, I'd be in heaven!

7. monk666

Nov 16, 2008
    :) you just proved my point. Thanks.

8. stemilan0

stemilan0 Active Member

Oct 6, 2008
    A simple game like that only compatible with 2nd gen touch? What are you doing apple are you slowly forcing people to buy your new device??? Damn it!

9. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    #9 rootbeersoup, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
    Yeah, that's the kind of "gamer" I am. I spend most of my time downloading emulators and ROMs more than I do playing any kind of "new" games

I just enjoy them more

My whole list of wanted games are all ports of existing ones

But like I said, that's just me

EDIT: Also, this doesn't mean I don't like the "newer" games. I have downloaded quite a few of the newer games that haven't been seen before. The sole advantage of new games is that people can't be disappointed that the game played better on a different platform or console

10. break5

break5 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    example of another "newer" game that did well:
    Toy Bot Diaries 1 or 2

11. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    The modern-retro style has been around a while but has become more popular ever since Geometry Wars hit it big on the Xbox. Definitely check out games from ABA (Kenta Cho), Puppy Games, and PomPom on PC/Mac/Consoles - all good stuff in this style.

I wouldn't necessarily call this a genre though as it has more to do with the look than the gameplay. It's common for indies to go this route since it can still look cool without requiring a ton of custom art - often things can/will be drawn procedurally in code.

12. monk666

Nov 16, 2008
    Not sure about that. Toy bot 1 didn't stay in the top 100 for very long and i don't remember seeing it in top 10 at all so i wouldn't say it was successful by any measure. I love the game, it is just sad that new games (without a big name) like this don't stand a chance against games like crash bandicoot. Crash had been in top 10/100 like forever and that is successful.

We'll see how long Toy bot 2 stay on the chart. From the looks of it, it isn't doing very well since launch. Rooted at the wrong end of the top 100.