iPad New Game - Upsi Looper - now available

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by shen, Mar 8, 2009.

1. #1 shen, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
    Its time to draw the line.

My new game [app]Upsi Looper[/app] has become available on iTunes

UPDATE A lite version of Upsi Looper is now available on iTunes. [app]Upsi Looper Lite[/app].
    - UPDATE END

There is a gameplay video which shows off some shots of the 2 different play modes.

You control a fast moving line, kind of like the traditional snake games on regular cellphones, but in Upsi Looper you can cross over your tail, and doing so pops everything inside the loop off the screen.

In the main game you use this power to loop enemies and rack up the points. As you get more points, more and harder enemies appear.

In the second play mode, called fruit festival, the screen is filled with bonus fruit, and you rack up as many points as you can before the 60 second timer runs out. There are no enemies, so this is a good mode for learning the ropes and practising your moves.

I've done a lot of work to make this game really fun to play, as well as polishing it up and adding all the little extras so that it really shines. There are over 20 achievements to collect, high scores, and a bunch of statistics saved during play.

I have logged over 10 hours of play time with the game during testing, and I'm not bored of it yet.

The game is currently 0.99$ US, and I think it represents great value for money. Plus I have some great plans for new game modes.

If anyone would like to talk about the game I'd be happy to answer some questions.

Shen

2. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    for convenience, ill post the video here.

3. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    I have it, IT's actually really fun, responsive and really original gameplay. +1 recomendation! :D

4. aleceiffel

aleceiffel Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    art supply buyer/artist
    Oregon

5. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    That looks pretty fun to me. And the guy's expressions in the video look hilarious. Especially in the still befroe you hit play.

6. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey

7. Yeah, that is me in the video.

My flatmate is a music video editor, and made the video for me. It took about 4 hours of editing! Plus the time required to get all the game play footage :)

I think it turned out a lot more exciting than the straight game play videos I made for my first game, [app]Upsi Runner[/app].

8. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    That's the first impressive game trailer I've seen for an iPhone game. Nice job. Not my type of game, though :p

9. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    #9 indyraider4, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
    It looks good, but the background looks eye-straining, and the line could use a make over! Look at the line from glow and try to do something like that. I like some of the backgrounds in upsi runner, so just try to make a scenery shot (maybe a forest would be good to keep a similar color) in that 8-bit style, and it will be much better. I like the concept and will probably pick it up soon.

10. Yeah, I don't think I will be winning any oscars for my "acting". Whenever the camera is pointing at me, I find it hard not to just stare at the lens and drool...

Also, YouTube only gives you a few choices on the front picture that shows before you hit play, and for some reason it decided that all the choices should be from the 2 seconds of footage of my face, and none from the 40 seconds of the actual game.

11. IndyRaider4:

I haven't had any trouble with the background straining my eyes during the last few weeks, and I've been putting in a lot of play time.

Although if people playing it do find it an issue, it is an easy fix for a future release.

If you do get the game, please let me know what you think after giving it a good play through.

12. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Wow, nice game! I would describe the gameplay as an interactive Etch-A-Sketch. I love how the more you "Lasso" with your loop, the bigger your combo score. Certainly ranges from easy to frantic as more and more enemies, fruits, and skulls appear. This is a go-to arcade style game that will have you playing for awhile:D

13. LordGek

LordGek Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'd love to hear a little more about the gameplay. I mean I get the gist, loop around stuff and score points, but what about some of the mechanics themselves.

Are there powerups to blast baddies?

Is there any advantage to, say, circling ONLY a given type of fruit in my loop (is this game going to get the nick, "Fruit Loops")?

Is it safe to assume looping skulls is BAD?

14. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    actually looping skulls doesn't hurt unless you touch email, you gotta loop bombs nearby to destroy skulls. I haven't played enough yet to comment much, but I'm mainly playing the fruit mode right now, big combos, fast, loop as much as possible in set time. No baddies in this mode.

15. LordGek;

There are some achievements for looping different combinations of baddies, or fruit. I haven't put any achievements in for looping just fruit combos, although having a "fruit salad" combo is a strong possibility if I add more achievements in a future release.

The different fruits are all worth different amounts, and as a tip I would say that there is probably more of an advantage to leaving select fruit around for making bigger combos later on with a few enemies as well for bigger points. Of course if you leave a bunch of stuff on the screen and then die, it doesn't do you any good.

I'm away from my work computer right now, but maybe in a few days when I get back I can post a video of the tutorial level, which explains a bunch of this stuff.

Like rich mentioned, in the fruit fest mode the emphasis is on getting big combos, and pushing your score as high as you can in the minute of time you have before the fruit stops appearing.

The Regular game mode is available in normal difficulty and expert, with the main difference being that in normal difficulty your line stays at a constant length. In expert mode it is always contracting behind you, which means that you have to keep moving fast to make your loops.

A touch mode is pretty much a shoe in for a future update, but I didn't put it in this first release because it needs more balancing to get it feeling fun.

I was also thinking a classic snake mode would be good as well, with just fruit, skulls and walls, and not being able to cross over your tail.

With respect to skulls, rich already mentioned that they can't be removed just by looping them, you need to dodge them until you can destroy them with a bomb.

There is quite a bit of code devoted to working out which enemies appear next, based on your score, position and what else is already on the screen. There was a lot of play testing done to get a good balance between difficulty and fairness and fun. For example, nothing will ever appear within a certain radius of the front of your line, to stop cheap instant deaths.

16. traonk

traonk Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    student
    earth
    cool game

17. indyraider4

Feb 8, 2009
    I got the game and love it just as much as upsi runner (by the way shen the update to that was great!). For upsi looper, the background isn't eyestraining, it is just a little bit "beta-ish" and nonimpressive from a screenshot, and that is how you are supposed to sell it to people in the app store! I would change the background to something a little bit more appealing to the eye (and based on the new backgrounds in upsi runner, that shouldn't be too hard). Also change the line a little for the same reason. Maybe just making it have a semitransparent glow would be fine. Also I would change the "game over" and "paused" text to look a little bit cleaner. Even if it keeps the same general style, they look sloppy. I do like the keypad to enter your name, and the menu buttons look nice too. The game is really fun, and it definitely going to be one of my "pick up and play" titles for a while.

I really recommend to anyone to get this game because it is really a fun concept and could be the next huge success with an update or two and a lite version!

Oh yeah, one more thing, it is really depressing that I die when touching the smily face. :)

18. #18 shen, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
    indy:

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm glad to hear that I seem to have got the main part right - making the game fun.

With regard to the background, I can't afford to pay for any more art right now, [app]Upsi Runner[/app] is selling about 1 copy a day, and I have spent about $200 already on the sprites for Upsi Looper. If the game sells a lot of copies, it will give me a lot more freedom in what I am able to do with future releases. I've got high hopes, but it really is a lottery.

I can look at some visual changes for the line though, and one of my ideas was to have some different styles as unlockables given out for completing a certain number of achievements.

Which reminds me, just like in Upsi runner, most of the achievements can be completed in any of the 3 game modes. If you complete an achievement in Fruit fest mode, you get the bronze cup, regular mode gets you the silver cup, and expert mode gets you the gold cup. If you get a bronze cup for an achievement, it will get replaced with the silver or gold once you repeat the achievement in the appropriate game mode.

19. indyraider4

Feb 8, 2009
    Okay, I understand your financial situation with the two of them. Maybe you could push out a lite version with a two line maximum and no fruit fest or extreme mode and have it say "try upsi looper pro" at the beginning and end of every game. Make sure their is a link too! If that helps, keep the lite version up, but if it doesn't help, just take it back down. I hope upsi looper is successful for you.

20. yeah, I'm thinking about a lite version.

I was thinking about putting it out with the fruit fest mode, and maybe a 1 minute mode of the main game.

Thanks for the good wishes.

I'd be interested to hear back about how people find the achievements and how much time people are racking up with the game.

Do people like the achievements as they are? Would it be cool to have a bunch more for different loop combos? Are there some other things that I should be giving out achievements for?

While I was testing the game, I usually got the total play time up to an hour or two before I had to wipe the save game to add a more features, or test some new changes.