iPad [New game] PunchPunchRevolution!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Pyrofer, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Pyrofer

Pyrofer Member

Aug 26, 2008
    #1 Pyrofer, Oct 22, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
    Ok, Its submitted, waiting approval !! My new app...

Its a touchscreen fighting game, react quicker for higher scores.

There is an early video of it here,
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=magwi90namc

Let me know waht you think. Its a $1.99 game (£1.19)

There are 3 different characters to fight, with hit/miss reactions, sound etc in the finished version.

the music in the video is NOT in my game, its just showing you can play your iPod tunes while playing, there are game sound effects but the music is from your own collection.

2. ITrocks

ITrocks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Hmmm, i'm not too sure about this game. I don't think it warrants the 1.19 pricetag, i'm afraid. When you hit the guy, he doesn't seem to react. Also, you don't know how much health the dude has left (the enemy who's trying to kick your ass). It doesn't look like an app that would attract my attention, maybe someone else might. Good effort anyway!

3. I'm sorry, I like beat-em-ups and I don't like the look of this at all. It's not really a beat-em-up is it? I mean, by the look of it, it's just a reaction test as to how fast you can tap the fists that appear on the screen. Why you have the man standing in the middle of the screen is a mystery- he doesn't do anything.
    If my assumption is correct and it is a reaction test game as to how fast you tap something when it appears, then I already have the perfect game for that in iShooting Gallery. In actual fact, that game is only £1.79 (a little more money than yours) and has a lot more to it and looks a lot more polished. Sorry.

4. Pyrofer

Pyrofer Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Points well taken, please note this is an Early beta video (new one soon) and yes, he does move/react more in later versions.

Yes, it is quite a bit based on reaction, it gets harder with multiple pads on later levels. Its all about how quick you are.

The character is indeed just eyecandy. But then again, arent most game graphics? It doesnt mean games shouldnt look good.

5. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    I take it you've licensed the images you're using? It looks like you've just picked them up off the net and a quick few searches on images.google.com came up with these:

http://www.dailyspeculations.com/FIST.jpg
    - that's the fist you're using, you've just stretched it to make it taller

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r163/InsultComicDog/pow.jpg
    - that's the 'pow' you're using, and it's been around for ages (wasn't it originally in the Batman tv series?) Looks like you even left some of the purple around the background.

Give me enough time and I bet I can find the anime character on the screen and the original background images.

6. Pyrofer

Pyrofer Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Cool. Im very sorry to say that some beta test images have slipped through.
    I can give you the name/email of the artist that has spent a lot of time drawing the characters etc for this game, so I can assure you, you will NEVER find that anime character ANYWHERE other than in this game.
    Rest assured that the fist/pow will be fixed in the first update and thanks for bringing this to my attention. It seems in my rush to get the app submitted I let quality slip, I appologise for this.

7. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Any self-respecting, professional dev would immediately pull the binary from itunes connect and submit a new binary with the correct graphics in. Do you want something with copyrighted images, that aren't intended to be the final images, be the first thing that prospective customers see?

It's a fairly major "quality slip", I have to say. Instantly makes me wonder what the quality of the app is actually like.

8. Pyrofer

Pyrofer Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Indeed you are right. The ability to pull a binary is a new one that was not available when I previously submitted apps.
    I will pull the binary and fix it, thanks again for bringing this to my attention.
    I have also removed youtube video with these incorrect graphics. I hope you can understand that not being an artist I was not 'testing' the art merely the code.
    Letting it slip through was a mistake, and I hope this little slip does not put people off as I can assure you it does not reflect on the quality of the game as a whole.

I would like to point out that I am NOT a profesional dev, just a family man with a full time job trying to make a little extra to support his growing family. Trust me when I say worrying about your sick 3yo child is more important than app submission.

9. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    With all due respect, we don't need to know any of this - you came here to present your game, your background and situation aren't really relevant (believe me, I could bore you with things in my life to do with worries etc., but I won't.) You're releasing an app and soliciting money for it, that means you're entering the realms of professional development. Unfortunately it seems that far too many "developers" writing for the app store just don't get this. It's not (a) join dev program, (b) whip up something quick and dirty, (c) profit - it doesn't work that way in reality.

I'm surprised that you didn't do a final test before submission. Surely even a cursory glance would have pointed out that you were using the wrong graphics? I mean, it's not like they're subtle!

Anyway, glad to see you've removed the video, will keep my eye out for this when it hits the app store so I can see what it was supposed to look like.

10. Pyrofer

Pyrofer Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I agree that personal sitations are not entirely relevant, however your comment,
    "Any self-respecting, professional dev" is suggestive that you think I am not self-respecting or profesional. You are half right, im not a profesional dev and I felt that I should point that out. As for "whipping it up" in a few days or whatever, this is not the case. It has taken quite a lot of development and time on my part. The road to producing an app is not easy, this is NOT a "torch" app.
    As for not noticing the graphics, after weeks of play testing the game and hunting obscure code bugs you get a bit blind to the actual graphics, they cease to represent anything in your mind other than operation of the code. I wasnt obvious to me that they were not the final graphics as I didnt draw them.
    I came here to draw peoples attention to my new app and as suggested in the first post, get feedback. I did indeed get very valuable feedback, and i thank you for this.

11. LonERecoN

LonERecoN Well-Known Member

You have to be careful when selling. If the graphics are not yours, you are potentialy breaking copyright amongst other things. Count yourself lucky moopf spotted it before you released it, you could have found yourself in a court for trying to make an extra buck.

Be careful man, best of luck with your app anyway.

12. Pyrofer

Pyrofer Member

Aug 26, 2008
    OK, I learnt a valuable lesson today, DO NOT listen to people on the internet :p
    I had indeed submitted the correct version, but forgot that the youtube video was from an older version so of course had the wrong artwork. When I got home and checked and found I had removed the binary for no reason.

Now im back at the start of the review process for no reason, just because I doubted myself when somebody made me panic. I was so worried about the launch I let myself get talked into a problem that didnt exist.

Ive updated the link with the new video, please excuse the TERRIBLE focus, ill get a better one when I can.
    I wonder how long to review now? It would have been out tomorrow!

13. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Moopf they should give you one of those detective shows :)

14. I'm sorry, even with the new footage it still looks poor in my opinion. What I said before still stands.
    If it's just a case of tapping things as quickly as possible, then I have what looks to be a much better app for that in iShooting Gallery. Ok, that app is more money, but it is a lot more attractive and is a lot more interesting than just tapping on fists. I think you are asking for too much money for this in my opinion. In a 'beat-em-up' in a first person view, I would expect the character I am facing to do the punching/kicking instead of fists appearing in front of them. I would tap their attacking fist or leg, and tap their body or head to hit them back, as they are trying to block by constantly dodging and weaving whilst they are not attacking. Now THAT'S a beat-em-up!

15. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Are you sure that's the lesson you learned? Maybe it should be that showing people a video of something that isn't representative is maybe a bad idea. You created the problem for yourself by showing us something with obviously copyrighted images in. Why you showed this, if that wasn't the game, I don't know.

I can't quite believe you removed your binary before checking though.

16. Pyrofer

Pyrofer Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Lesson number 2, DO NOT try to please people, they will only complain more.

"Any self-respecting, professional dev would immediately pull the binary from itunes"

And so, I immediately pull the binary, because the risk of releasing the wrong version is worse than the delay. I couldnt check because I was in fact at my day job and not with my Mac dev kit.

At what point was there anything I could have done to make you happy? I think none. You were obviously out for a fight from the start or you wouldnt have gone searching for the images, your suggestion that I stole the character was completely unfounded slander.
    Arguing on the Internet is.... lets just say I wont reply to anymore posts by you.

As for the comments regarding the fact its just a reaction game, and its not worth the price. Well, you are indeed entitlted to your opinion. I did consider a game such as you suggested but went for this style instead, I have lots of testers who very much like the game and think im selling it cheap. Not everybody likes tea, so thanks for your feedback and im very sorry to hear you dont like it. I AM glad however that you dont feel ripped off because you bought it first to find out you didnt like it, hence my posting of youtube videos. I will very much consider that style of game for the future.

17. Thank you for respecting my opinion. It's unfortunate business with the argument over the graphics etc, and I don't want to get involved with that. I will say I commend you for posting a video to show people how it plays. It's something I think EVERY app developer should do.

18. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    This is ridiculous. You posted a video of your game that you'd submitted that obviously used copyrighted images. I pointed this out and said you should remove them. You should know what you submitted, that you didn't really amazes me. I wasn't out for a fight at all, you presented something, I pointed out that what you presented breached copyright. End of story.

By the way, do you know how easy it was to find the images? I typed in images.google.com in my browser and searched for 'pow' - first image was the one you'd used. I then typed in fist, 6th image was the one you'd used. This wasn't difficult - the 'pow' was the one that instantly made me realise that you were culling images from the net and made me do the search. I'd suggest getting your ducks in a row before promoting your game in future.

As for slander, come on, get real. What on earth do you expect people to think when other main graphics had been pulled from the net? If I'm wrong about that, I apologise, but please don't come over all hurt and pretending that it wasn't justified for me to think this in the context of the other images you were using.

This was never about making me "happy". I couldn't give a rat's ass if you submitted something willingly breaching copyright. I'd be remiss if I didn't point it out however, as it's amazing how many people think that anything on the net is fair game for use. You presented a video of your game - that's all I had to go on. If you don't want people to start pointing out the obvious, make sure what you post and promote is what you actually mean to.

19. Pyrofer

Pyrofer Member

Aug 26, 2008
    To wastedyuthe, Im glad the video helped. I considered a beta 'lite' version like everybody else is doing but couldnt come to any decision on what would be appropriate to include.
    I will work on getting a better quality video soon, I rushed that last night with a phone camera...
    Thanks again for the feedback.

20. sirisaacx

sirisaacx Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2008
    So it's whack-a-mole?