New game, I want your input!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by THEDeliriumTrigger, Jan 9, 2009.

?

Game Features??

1. On Screen D-Pad

18 vote(s)
    38.3%
  2. Local WiFi Multiplayer

31 vote(s)
    66.0%
  3. Autosave

31 vote(s)
    66.0%
  4. Pickup and Play

36 vote(s)
    76.6%
  5. Nice and Long

30 vote(s)
    63.8%
  1. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Yup, i was thinkin somethin like that..... youll all see when its done! :p

Local wifi and its usefulness depends on the game your playing. Ex: Monopoly- bad. You could just play it on a board! Sports/Racing titles- good. Assuming you dont have the console version, which, at this point in itouch gaming, is very unlikley.

2. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    Sounds great guys. So this is sort of a "Super Smash Bros" type game? If so, then I'm buying :)

I don't want to be the negative one, but have you had a good look at learning the programming language, or using Unity (I'm not sure if it's any good for 2D...)

3. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

Couldn't movement in a 2D fighter be controlled with accelerometor left/right tilt, like in Rolando? Then you could use similar upward swipes for jumps? Maybe downwards swipes to duck?

As for fighting moves: maybe some gestures for attacks/combos? Or as someone suggested tapping areas of opponents you want to hit, but not sure how accurate this would be? Also the speed of combos would need consideration. I think i would prefer a system similar to the ideas in Rag Doll Kung Fu. Maybe just gestures (think of the Force Unleashed attack gestures) for special attacks like Fireballs?

With any of these systems, you will probably need to control the speed of the fights. I think these methods will be slower than traditional button based controllers, so slow the fights accordingly.

4. THEDeliriumTrigger

Dec 4, 2008
    #24 THEDeliriumTrigger, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
    YES! But with stick figures fighting kung fu! And it will be 2d, although im not going to be doing the programming...

Damn all you guys! Youve figured me out! And i thought i had something special.... :(

Well, i might as well tell you now! EDIT: This is not a screen from the game, i just got the pic off the web for demonstration purposes.
    [​IMG]
    Ok, so you have the A and B buttons in the corner, and the red arrows on the other side. The red arrows wouldnt be visible, but it shows how (and the general area) you would slide your fingers. For example, while holding the A button, slide your finger left, and your guy punches the other guy in the gut. Slide right while holding A, and he punches him in the face. Mabye holding A and sliding (your finger, in any direction) could be punch moves, and holding B and sliding could be kicking moves. Also, sliding your finger up would have you jump, allowing for combo moves. (Ex: Hold B, slide finger up, then right. Would have him jump, then a heel kick to the face) Making it like this (instead of a dpad) would serve the same function as a dpad, but the user would get much more into the game, rather than just pressing buttons. Am i right? If you wanted, you could have both this and a dpad, as options you could pick, and the option to have a left-handed version, where the buttons and control area switch sides.

Also, i thought we might have to slow the game down a bit, like the post above said. ALSO, keep in mind that we are still just getting our thoughts together, we havent started anything else (except a menu mabye, and soundtrack) so this might change a little, but i think this is the best idea ive some up with so far. So tell me what ya think!

5. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Ah.

So who will be doing the programming? I'm afraid in terms of priority it's coding resources first, product second, especially for indie.

6. byteclub

byteclub Member

Dec 30, 2008
    co-founder of ByteClub.com
    NYC
    Gestures that trigger special moves/combos could add some depth to the game, give players something to learn over time, thus increasing replay-ability.

Regarding the speed - you could add a gesture that triggers "bullet time" a la Max Payne..

What is the "space" that the fights are happening in? Can you do something with the rotation of the device? If device is rotated and the fighters are upside-down, you can make them fall and hurt themselves a little bit - which could become a tactic to finish off weak opponents. Just an idea; thinking about that Animator vs. Animation flash cartoon, which seems fitting here.

7. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    im really thinking that this is gonna be a very sick game!!!! already made two songs for it already, havent put it up though yet:eek:

8. THEDeliriumTrigger

Dec 4, 2008
    Sweet dude, send it my way if you get a chance

9. THEDeliriumTrigger

Dec 4, 2008
    These are just ideas, were still getting things together.

Bullet time is The Matrix btw.... lol but that would be a cool add on i think!

10. byteclub

byteclub Member

Dec 30, 2008
    co-founder of ByteClub.com
    NYC
    Apparently, both Matrix (the movie) and Max Payne (the game) had the time slow-down effect, called "Bullet Time". Somebody must have stole it from the other :)

11. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

I like the bullet time idea, especially if its a reward for effective fighting (hurting opponent without taking damage or for performing strings of combos/reversals). Also you could make special moves/combos that can only be performed in bullet time mode, maybe these are more powerful than those in the main fight. You culd even use it for an MK style fatality! :D

12. {klondike}

{klondike} Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    You honestly think Apple would allow an MK style fatality in a game made by an unknown developer? If so then your post is a fail.

13. THEDeliriumTrigger

Dec 4, 2008
    Lolz, i think were just gonna be going for KO's, but u can pretend you killed him? Not that thats very nice.....

14. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    You might want to try the D-pad on the left side; since that's how video game controllers are, reversing it might be weird to get used to for some people.

15. THEDeliriumTrigger

Dec 4, 2008
    Ya, i mentioned a left handed option in my post ;)

16. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

It was meant more as a example - maybe poor choice of game to reference? But you could incorporate some funny OTT finishing moves (doesn't need gore) like in Ready to Rumble.

17. Altrez

Altrez Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    IT
    Kentucky
    I have started on the character bio's on my game and adding basic networking and high score updating on line.. Looks like you guys are making some good progress as well :)

-Altrez

18. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Delerium, Altrez,

I already made some music for the game and I'll try to upload it to my sites soon, but what kind of music is best for this? So far, I got some fast paced daft punkish hiphop instrumental, but how many songs should I crank out for this? 2,3? maybe I'll even rap a theme song!!! So far I have 2 tracks.

19. THEDeliriumTrigger

Dec 4, 2008
    Awesome dude, do you have them in mp3 format? Mabye you could send em to me