iPad new FREE word puzzle QUADRUM

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by kirill, Oct 28, 2008.

1. kirill

kirill Well-Known Member

Quadrum: words is a word puzzle game.
    It's FREE for limited time, take a look here:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=294759396&mt=8

You slide rows and columns of letters, combining them into words.
    The fun and challenging part is to build chains of words - words intersecting vertically or horizontally, sharing letters.
    Here is website for some more pictures:
    http://www.ichromo.com/quadrum/

Give it a try - it's FREE for now :)
    Will appreciate any feedback.
    Thanks!
    Kirill

2. Thanks. Saw this on my Touch's app store, and it didn't have an option to download at all. Just had to download from iTunes instead. Will play it later and report back ;)

3. Had a good play. It's good- I like it. It has a mechanic very similar to Imangi of course, but it puts it's own slant on it, with the player being able to submit words and new letters replace them for you to create another chain/group.
    One question though- it's not explained how the game ends if indeed it does. How does it end?

4. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm looking forward to playing this, but it's listed as "2nd Gen Touch" :(

Can you remedy this for us 1st Gen folks?

5. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    I just bought this app last night and haven't even used it. I guess that I should have waited! :(

6. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I downloaded it because it's free, but I feel like Im cheating on Imangi.

Haven't played it yet. I'll post my thought on it later.

7. Lol- Naughty naughty :D

8. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    I dl'd it for free and checked it out real quick. Looks very promising! If people are into this game check out Word Up! as well. I'll have a better review once I get a little more play time on it tonight. Nice work so far - can't beat the price!!!

9. zztfox

zztfox Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    There was a homebrew game on DS called Wordup.
    It had blocks constantly falling from the top of the screen into a bin on the bottom. You connected blocks into words to score and make the blocks disappear. Also loved the neon graphics.

Screen:

http://www.ndshb.com/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=121

Now THAT is what I would love to see on Iphone.

10. kirill

kirill Well-Known Member

Well, it does not end currently - i'm thinking about adding another game mode, something like once you used a square/button - it changes the color; and than you have to change all the things on the board.
    But this non-ending game mode looks fun for me too - kind of relaxed shifting and composing.
    What do you guys think?

11. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I think it's a really nice game. I still play it like Imangi, making the biggest chain of words possible, but then when I'm done it keeps going. It seems like there needs to be some kind of goal in the game.

Honestly, I would probably still just play Imangi. Your game is very well made, but the lack of having a goal would keep me from coming back much.

Great job. I really forward to any updates you have coming. I think the quality of this game probably convinced me to buy Chromix now.

Any other games planned for the future?

12. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    I suggest timed action ending with a highscore board. We need a reason a keep playing!
    Lets say 3 or 5 mintues per game so we can see who is the best wordsmith, at least on the iphone if not an online scoreboard. Or, how about high score time challenge? The player tries to get to a certain score, say 500, 1000, or 2000, in the fastest time.

Next, we need detailed scoring descriptions. I always feel scrabble has it right, harder letters should be worth more points.

Also, update the dictionary. I just tried the word "catalog" and it didn't register as a word. That should have been worth some mad points, I feel jipped!

13. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Good idea. A timer would at least make it different from Imangi. I think that'd be the best way of fixing the "never ending" issue.

14. Yes it really needs some kind of goal. It's nice to keep going and going, but what's the point getting a good score? You know you will always beat a score so long as you have the time to play long enough to beat it.
    To be honest, a timed game would be good. However, I also like taking my time, which is why I like Imangi so much (and Quordy, now you can remove the timer in that too). So I think the timed game would be ONE mode, the Free Play (as it is at the moment) would be another mode, and some other mode where you will have a goal without a timer involved.

15. allanator

allanator New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    I downloaded the game to check it out since it was free and was disappointed. It's basically a poor clone of Imangi, except with no ending or point. I definitely wouldn't pay for it, and probably won't play again. Also, adding a timer to it would simply make it identical to Speed Imangi.

16. SwingOnThis

SwingOnThis Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Another suggestion would be instead of a 5x7 grid, maybe go to a 7x10 grid to allow for longer words.

I'm not going to complain too much, it's free. :)

17. kirill

kirill Well-Known Member

Don't you think it would be too complicated than to hit the right button (bigger greed - smaller squares)?

18. Selina

Selina Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Kent, England
    Please.....???

19. Yes wordup is tetris of word games. Liked playing that one a lot. The one I'm waiting for to come to iphone that I played a ton of on DS is wordjong which is mahjong like with letters used to form words.