New AppInfo Tag

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by arn, Aug 14, 2009.

1. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I have a question arn, is [ app info ] a AJAX call/funtion? Anyways, the =all is even better. This is pretty sweet.

2. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
  3. Rblacula

Rblacula Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Cool thnx!

4. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    pay me $.25 a post and ill be the automated system...

5. olive

olive Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2011
    finally.......It's not easy to find this thread and the descriptive issue troubled me a lot......
    Thanks, seriously

6. phongtt

phongtt Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Will TA support similar tag for Android (Google Play)?

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

In a perfect world where I could pay web and back end developers in high fives, we'd already have this. Unfortunately, it's a project with a scope that's far beyond what we'd ever do for a "Oh hey, that's neat" feature. Long story short, the reason we're able to have that here is because Apple provides a nice API for us to pull iOS app data from iTunes.

To simplify it, AppShopper serves as our back end for everything, and the easiest way to imagine it is AppShopper calling up the App Store on the phone. AppShopper asks, "Hey Apple, have any new games?" and the App Store responds "I will list them for you!" with every listed item coming through the phone the exact same way. Google Play doesn't have this. To create a similar database for Android we'd need to use things called "scrapers."

So, while an API is like a easy to follow conversation, scrapers basically work by loading web pages and making assumptions that the same data is always going to be in the same place. An example would be if you wanted to build a scrapbook of food photos, so you built a robot that opened the newspaper and cut out the first photo of the food section. You make the assumption that it's going to be food, but since there's no standardization agreement with the newspaper like our phone call example, it could be anything. Typically, once the works get gummed up on something like this it's a lot of effort to fix it.

Anyway, hope that makes some sense for non-technical people. Cliffsnotes essentially amounts to I'd love to do it but we're a small company and need to be as efficient as we can with where we focus our efforts when it comes to development projects as they're always expensive.

8. joeblau

joeblau New Member

Oct 29, 2013
    San Francisco
    Thanks for the explanation, I was just about to ask the same question.

9. BitStern

BitStern Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Amazing job! Hope, there will be an Android implementation anytime soon in the future!

10. fanling3

fanling3 Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    #30 fanling3, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    Good feature!

11. fanling3

fanling3 Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    - deleted -