iPad New App Store Layout...Finally

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by maxcalibre, Dec 12, 2008.

1. maxcalibre

maxcalibre Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Hey guys,

Just wondering what people's opinions are on the new App Store layout, with the Top Paid/Free Apps in each category now. I quite like the look of it, and it seems to make a lot more sense than by default showing the Apps by release. I'm also wondering what's the difference between how it orders 'Most Popular' and 'Top Paid/Free' as it seems I get completely different results for each.

Also, worth knowing is that it seems like only the Primary category for an App displays it in these new 'Top' lists, so you can't for example be in both the 'Top Entertainment' and the 'Top Strategy Games' or whatever.

Anyway, at least Apple are listening and making steps to make the App Store a better place for both developers and consumers.

2. aghartastudio

aghartastudio Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    Didn't noticed until now:)

now maybe they must "filter" the categories better :) i'm looking into adventure right now, seeing Flick fishing, nanosaur, armado, bugdom 2 and such into the top 20 is weird since none of them are adventure games...

3. The Lab

The Lab Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Utah
    Noticed it but realized you have to click on each category would be nice to see the whole iTunes Store layout improved. Having a tab system would be nice much cleaner and easier to navigate.

4. steviet

steviet Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    tv editor
    London
    is there a way to look at all games ordered but release date? everytime i try i can only suss out looking at particular genres or the "new list" which doesn't always feature the newest releases anyway.

could be that i'm being dumb :confused:

5. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    A small step in the right direction. Nice to see them tweaking the store at all.

6. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    it's still BS because games that release updates are put into the New Releases section, which doesn't make any sense.. so we get all the Bootant games showing up like they're brand new

7. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Developer
    Wisconsin
    Cool, I like it... Now add these categories to the device and somehow do the same thing there!!!

Exactly!

8. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I like to know about updated even if I don't own the game.

The right thing however you'd be an "just updated" section or maybe a filter.

But what makes me wondering is that "NEW" means the day that the developer submitted the game not the day it was approved. It makes the "NEW" section just crazy...

9. Aha!! So that's why we were all struggling with iTunes store speeds- they were changing it. Yep, an improvement.

10. minmin_i

minmin_i Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    much better

having top paid and top free for each category is so much easier to find the games i want. They should keep applying that kind of functions as there are so many games out now

11. Crash Bandicot the top paid racing app? They're havin' a laugh!

12. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    Maybe they actually changed the ranking criteria to something other than the previous day's sales! :eek:

13. whooley

whooley Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Nice feature I noticed - the icon for the Games section changes to a random(?) game every time I open it. Free advertising, of a sort.

A nice little update!

Pity the links in the app pages aren't clickable.

14. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA

But, Ferrari GT: Evolution is in both Top Sports and Top Racing

15. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

But the icons look horrible. Please Apple, use a universal, static image, by you, not top app in that catergory (between paid and free)

16. Dell

Dell Active Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Anyone else noticed that if you sort by "Most Popular" it actually sorts by name?

17. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    DARN I DON't have it yet:mad:

18. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I doubt it would help pablo19, if it were me I'd either reboot, or connect ipotch to iTunes.

19. BOWB4ZOD

BOWB4ZOD Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Director, Producer, Editor
    Ontario, Canada
    love it great job apple