New Addiction

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tjb, May 29, 2019.

1. tjb

tjb Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Hey, all.

I’m looking for a new game! There are so many fly-by-night games on the App Store, and I enjoy reading about them on TA, but it seems most of them are quick little 5-hour jobbies, just a snack. I’m looking for a new time sink.

Recently I’ve delved deep into Stardew Valley, but have pretty much played that out. I replayed Crashlands, and I tell you few developers seem interested in putting that much effort into an adventure any more. Like I said, just dinky little 5-hour diversions, not much in the way of real adventures you can sink your teeth into.

Lowerlander was an awesome adventure, and a fairly long one. Definitely satisfying. I’ve enjoyed some Kairosoft titles (the ninja one a couple times, the dungeon one, recently the kairobots one). I did Super Cat Tales II. And what was that cat rpg that they’re working on a part two to now? That one was great. A lot of content in that game.

Orc: Vengeance was awesome (are you listening, Eli?). I did Don’t Starve for a while, which was cool.

I’ve played Exiled Kingdom several times and enjoy that very much. Baldur’s Gate was good, although a little too detailed to enjoy well on a phone for a few minutes here and there on break. What else? I did some The Quest, and it was all right. I really do like the process of building up a character over time. I’ve loved Polytopia since it first released (longest run for a game remaining on my phone).

I guess I’m looking for your suggestions. I know it’s not a neat and tidy genre I’m looking for. But maybe some of the above titles can give you the idea. Preferably an adventure. I do like some crafting and resource management. Offline if at all possible (no MMOs).

I know I’ll get a ton of widely spread suggestions, and I’m open to that. Some I’ll reject just because something about it is “just not for me”, doesn’t scratch that itch. Some I’ll reject because I have already tried it out (I try a lot of games out).

But I’m hoping I’ve listed enough to jog someone’s memory, and they’ll suggest something new (to me) that will drag me down that inexorable time sink adventure I’m craving. Don’t be shy!

What do you recommend? Thanks!

2. tjb

tjb Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Also, and I hope this was obvious, I’m expecting this to help others find great games, too. It’s not all about me!

3. tjb

tjb Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    More suggestions I’ve enjoyed:

Autumn Dynasty (hello, Eli)
    Secret of Mana
    Evoland
    Bastion
    Banner Saga
    Cat Quest
    Avernum (been a Spiderweb Software fan since the beginning)

4. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
  5. tjb

tjb Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    I did Siralim and it was good. There was too much detail as I recall, which is not a normal problem to have! But yes I did that. Have to look at Monster Hunter. Thanks!

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Implosion by Rayark is still pretty solid. Oceanhorn too. I even double-dipped on these titles on the switch.

7. tjb

tjb Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Loved Oceanhorn. Waiting for the sequel. I’ll look into implosion, thanks!

Recently started playing through Cat Quest again, and got Space Miner from Game Club.