iPad New 3D Game

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by spacerage, Feb 18, 2009.

1. spacerage

spacerage Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    #1 spacerage, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
    We just released aMAZEing to the app store

We're giving out 10 free promo codes to those who are willing to do a review, just PM if your interested :)
    EDIT- Please not all codes have now gone

We should have a youtube clip created by tomorrow.

Updated with youtube clip:

2. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
  3. spacerage

Oct 21, 2008
    Its also worth pointing out that we're going to base the controls from this for our upcoming FPS game, so it would be useful to get some feedback for that too :)

4. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    PM sent! Thanks.

5. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Sounds like things are coming together nicely:) this seems like a nice relaxing game. And a good way to lead into a fps. Nice work, Spacerage.

6. JaSoN L

JaSoN L Member

Jan 1, 2009
    PM

Pm sent

7. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    PM sent. I'm excited to see you make an FPS. There's not enough of them on the iPhone/iPotch.

8. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    PM Sent, i'm looking forward to this one

9. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Just letting you know that I did submit a review to the app store after playing through a few mazes.

Here's some additional feedback:
    It's definitely the best 3D maze-type game currently available. It's as challenging as you want it to be, which is a great option, in my opinion! I like the graphics and the "feel" of the movement.

I do like the control scheme--in fact, it is my favorite control scheme for most games. One thing I did notice, however, is that the right strafe button seems to "stick" sometimes--I have to place my finger slightly to the right of the point of the arrow in order to strafe right.

I like the map in the top right corner, but I wish it was a darker color so that it would not blend into the background so much. And maybe a tiny bit bigger.

The instruction screen is kind of hard to read, since the lettering blends into the background.

I think that this control scheme will work well in your (hopefully soon!) upcoming FPS. It seems to work very smoothly (except for the issue I mentioned.) It kind of reminds me of the first Quake, or even Marathon2: Durandal. (Yep, I'm that old, which may explain why I have a hard time seeing the map! )

Anyway, nice job on the game, and I am looking forward to your FPS, whenever it may come out. Thanks for the code!
    See? Some people actually do give feedback!

10. marlenedegrood

marlenedegrood Well-Known Member

PM sent .... thanks!

11. spacerage

Oct 21, 2008
    Thanks for the review :)

Just to let you know, all promo codes have now been sent out. Thanks :)

12. marlenedegrood

marlenedegrood Well-Known Member

Thank You for the promo code! Downloading now ... will play tonight and review.

13. spacerage

Oct 21, 2008
    I've just added a youtube clip on the first page of this thread.

14. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    #14 Wegmans, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
    dangit i lost haha wheres that youtube vid?

helpful video, the game looks so smooth!

15. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    It's technically pretty good, though you should definitely hire a proper graphics designer, both this and your space rage games need some real polish.

16. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    This is the best motion sickness game EVER!!! :D

(I have very bad motion sickness so after finding 9 gems I had to stop playing it :(). Maybe I can desensitize myself to it. I can't play 3D first view games on home consoles for the same reason, even though I want to. Halo is fine since it's 3rd view.

Maybe you can create sprites and have the view be from behind them over their head? That helps A LOT. And I want to play this game a lot :D

I think the graphics are fine. And the possibilities are endless. Really complicated mazes and you have to find the exit. Treasure hunts and enemies.

Awesome game concept!

Another request would be a sensitivity setting so that it responds more slowly to the buttons.

Left you a review! :)

17. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Have you tried Skycoaster 3D?

18. Muggin

Muggin Active Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I received the code and have dome some playing and have a few suggestions.

Allow me to start this off by saying I am a Graphic Designer by trade, with this as my background I get picky sometimes about User Interface, since it is an area of great interest to me.

I think the controls of the game a re quite smooth, the FPS of the game is consistent (i am on a 1st gen iPhone) and runs smooth. The level of complexity of the game is nice and the ability to choose the number of room sand gems is a nice touch.

Now for the suggestions.
    1. UI: the on screen graphics for the controls are really rough. these need some work. Look at games like iDracula and Dropship. They use similar control areas and have some nice graphics there. Also relating to UI the red text on the grey background is tough to read in the menus. Since the values of these 2 colors are close you get some vibration. I would go with a white or something here with high contrast to make it easier to read.

2. Gems: Some of the gems are stuck in the walls. I don't know if this is done on purpose or not but it looks like a glitch to me. Most of the time I encounter this in hallways.

3. MiniMap: OK. So its a maze right? How hard is it to navigate a maze that you have a perfect map for? Not that hard. Make the map invisible to start. As you enter a room the map appears for that room. Therefore you uncover the map via exploration, like you would in a hedgemaze. You don't start with a map and just run around looking for gems. This will make the game more fun in my eyes if you have to find gems and map the area out. Possibly make this a toggle so each type of player can have their fun. Since it is first person i think the getting lost part will be really cool. Like when you are running around a dungeon in the first phantasy star, or old DandD computer game.

I hope you continue on your path of game development. The controls and framerate are great and the maps themselves are good. with the above updates i think you will have something pretty stellar on your hands and I look forward to seeing your FPS title. Let me know if you need beta testers.

19. spacerage

Oct 21, 2008
    Thanks for all your reviews and suggestions, Im glad people are liking it :)

Ive been working on an update already which should sort out most of the issues people mentioned. Hopefully it'll be ready to be submitted within the next day or two.

Thanks! :)

20. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Yes and surprisingly I had no motion sickness at all with S3D! With this one I was feeling woozy even 20 minutes later -eek-