Universal Neverwinter Nights (by Beamdog)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth

2. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Is this like a mmorpg?

3. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Trauma Nurse
    Phoenix
    Dammit! I wished I hadn’t lagged on this purchase. All the DLC has skyrocketed in price ☹️

4. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Multiplayer is in a sense a mmorpg.
    All I remember is getting backstabbed by high level rogues while fighting monsters trying to level though.

Considering this game supports cross platform multiplayer, and the disadvantages of the control scheme On mobile over PC, I will not bother with PvP server though.

5. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    It’s more like whoever that was responsible for managing DLCs messed up big time with setting prices yesterday.

I don’t even want to imagine the trouble s/he is facing right now.

6. Peerless

Peerless Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Dev has posted in Reddit thread that the bug causing crashes on learning spells from scrolls is a known bug already fixed on pc and will be fixed in a future patch on iOS and Android. Good to know!

Jstorm likes this.
  7. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Trauma Nurse
    Phoenix
    Oh, thought that was a price for early adopters. Well, that's too bad.

8. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I mean I understand there are still six free DLCs right? Even says it in the game description.

Know there are some others that are paid but having six free DLCs is already pretty generous.

9. sharfaust

sharfaust Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Yeah, I bought the game last night and one of the dlc’s for 0.99. Should have bought the others too. I went against my instinct, thinking they would still be that price today. Oh well. It’s not like the game doesn’t have a load of content already.

10. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    #50 Jstorm, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Well, this game is sucking up the battery even while connected to a charger, and heats up my 2019 iPad like a cooking pan.
    Kinda funny that modern devices has to work so hard to get a nearly 2 decades old game to run.

11. nanl00127

nanl00127 Member

Dec 26, 2014
    Two of the premium modules (Tyrants of the Moonsea and Darkness over Daggerford) were previously free downloads, so you might still be able to find copies of them online somewhere and go through the process of getting them onto your device. The free versions aren't as good (and in the case of Tyrants incomplete), but it might give you a sense of whether you want to get them.

I started playing the Kingmaker DLC first, as it's a relatively short module. Seems ok to play on my iPhoneX, but yeah the UI takes up a significant chunk of space, so it's definitely not ideal.

12. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    Gave into the pressure and UI is small but not bad on my iPhone 11. Also uses very little battery and doesn’t get hot so those are pluses.

My only problem so far is that I wish you could just use the virtual joystick and disable tap to move. I really don’t like tap to move and it causes issues sometimes if you are using the joystick.

I’ve never played this one and sure I have a lot to learn (even after the tutorials). But like the focus on a single character as BG could get too overwhelming for me.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Yeah, well, this was designed for PCs and laptops. It now runs on a device that fits in my pocket.

Jstorm likes this.
  14. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    #54 JasonLL, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    This seems to be a iPad thing since phone users seem pretty happy with the battery usage. Maybe the shadowing is more resource intensive on a larger display? Not sure, just a wild guess. I’ve read other replies on various forums that they thought the game hasn’t aged well at all and IMO I think that’s a bit crazy. Maybe in the character textures some could say look a bit primitive by todays standards but the environments and shadowing I still think look very good and much better than most of the mobile games I’ve played and modern devices are able to run this game silky smooth and that’s probably where most of the battery consumption is going.

Although battery consumption, while plugged into the charger, shouldn’t be an issue at all but it still is since the chargers that come out of the box are kinda slow. Assassins Creed rebellion had the same issue with the game eating more power than it could charge.

Jstorm likes this.
  15. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    You reminded me that I played this on a CRT monitor. I wonder what younger generations would think when they see a CRT monitor. A pc integrated with a monitor?

stubbieoz likes this.
  16. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    I lowered majority of graphics settings to medium/disabled. It feels like the battery drain is less severe, but it might be just my imagination.

17. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Ouch!
    I just went to the AppStore and saw the updated dlc prices.

Damn my hesitation.:(

Jstorm and sharfaust like this.
  18. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    I mean this is supposed to be 100+ hours between the original campaign and the six free DLCs. Seems like a great deal to me.

19. mgambino

mgambino Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I had an old CRT monitor in my basement, and that’s exactly what my son thought it was.

Jstorm likes this.
  20. Lurchroboter

Lurchroboter Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2016
    sure is! The content of base game and dlc is like having several full fledged traditional AAA-RPGs of epic scale combined for not even half the asking price of one modern console game, that would propably only last you a weekend. And when you are done with the campaign, you also get an active multiplayer community if you are into this. Just imagine how long some of those rpg servers habe been up and running, its just crazy.

AH yes, Cant describe you all how much i fell in love with this game :)

JasonLL likes this.