Universal Neverwinter Nights (by Beamdog)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Lurchroboter

Lurchroboter Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2016
    Guess
    It will propably unlock sometime during the day. Guess i will follow your proposal until then and just play the main game. Great port btw, as expected by beamdog and their enhanced editions!

2. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Can’t speak for other devices but the video quality seems pretty sharp on the 10.5 iPad Pro.

3. mgambino

mgambino Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    As far as the DLC (free) is concerned, it all rolled out within a few days of the main game’s release when the Android version came out. That may be the case here too.

I think I’d trust Beamdog to deliver on what they’ve promised based on past experiences.

4. Peerless

Peerless Member

Jun 14, 2016
    #24 Peerless, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Updated - modules now have a “buy” option in the Store Page in-game. Hopefully the remaining bugs will get squashed soon - some crashes learning spells from scrolls etc.

5. Nonstickron

Nonstickron Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Graphic Artist / Pre-Press
    Central Florida
    I have to say, after buying and trying to play Final Fantasy 9 on my ipad, I expected this to look like garbage. I'm pleased to say I'm actually pretty impressed how good this game looks considering how old it is.

6. mgambino

mgambino Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    This was a major battery drainer on droid, curious how it is on iOS.

I think I end up rebuying this game on a new device every few years.

7. Lurchroboter

Lurchroboter Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2016
    Instabought all dlcs after seeing peerless tip about the store being updated. Thanks mate! Been playing this more or less since morning, can confirm the game is not much of a battery hog on my iPhone (11 pro max). No idea how they do it, but beamdog works wonders in keeping the enhanced editions battery friendly, - just consider how complex those games are.

Edit: The game also lets you tweak the graphic settings. This should help even more with battery life in cases where it is needed.

8. tekchic

tekchic Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Female
    Software Developer
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ok guys, I tried to hold out on this one because my backlog on like, 4 consoles + PC is too much. Aaaaand came to catch up on posts and clicked the "Buy" :D

It's Neverwinter Nights on iPad! Had to have. :)

9. JasonLL

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    If you have the visuals at max it does drain the battery pretty fast. Adjusting the visuals may help with battery conservation but I haven’t tried that yet. Most of the time I have been playing with my iPad plugged in.

10. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Even though I owned the game when it first came out on PC and played the multiplayer, I noticed that I never played the single player campaign. Probably I was too lazy to go through all the dialogs back then...

I am curious what people chose as their first class. I remember a mage was rather hard due to the number of spells/day mechanics.

I chose the rogue for the lock pick and detect trap, but did not take pick pocket and replaced it with the parry skill because I don’t like stealing even in a game.

Ijipop likes this.
  11. JasonLL

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    From what I’ve been reading on the /iosgaming thread on Reddit you may want to avoid mages for now until a quick fix patch gets released. People have been saying that certain mage setups have been crashing the game when attempting to cast spells. Not sure if that only happens only in the tutorial or both tutorial and campaign. Haven’t tested this out but it’s worth noting.

My goto class has always been Paladin probably since grinding countless hours in Diablo II with the that class back in the day. Even the first time playing it on PC when it was originally released I remember playing the Paladin class at first. My second class I played on PC was the Rogue and then followed by a Mage.

Jstorm likes this.
  12. Darkfyra

Darkfyra Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2017
    How badly did it aged, not just on visuals but on the gameplay side?

13. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Just to correct my earlier post about the dlc.
    Iap’s are now showing (they were not when I posted before).
    They total $7AUD and are all the minor dlc that was released.
    The main expansion dlc’s are included in the initial purchase.

I should buy the game as I played it through twice on pc back in the day and totally loved it, but I think I simply have too much in my backlist already.

Jstorm likes this.
  14. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    @Jstorm haven’t had time to grab this again yet to remember what exact classes this game had but all I can say is I always play as a caster, a mage, wizard or sorcerer depending how the game sets each and I completed the single player on nwn and nwn2 no problems.

I know you start squishy and have to be smart (which I know you are) but I just love that if you use your head and play well you basically become a god. I just love all the tactical options really.

Jstorm likes this.
  15. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Compared to modern isometric D&D games? I don’t think it aged much tbh. Well, I am not the right person to comment on the visuals though. I am someone that is totally fine or even prefer brutal doom over modern FPS games.

Alex DeLargest likes this.
  16. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Considering I am a person that prefer blowing up doors with a rocket launcher over finding a key or a lever, choosing a rogue is something new to me. I wanted to try a play style that used brain over brawn... I guess I am getting old.

I will try a mage as my char in a replay or in another scenario. I have a feeling I end up a mage that prefers bashing enemy skulls with a stave though.

ste86uk likes this.
  17. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia
    Get a longer backlist, easy.

Ijipop likes this.
  18. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Oh trust me..... I am very tempted ;)

19. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Don’t worry. I will save the Neverwinter while you clear your backlist.

stubbieoz likes this.
  20. Peerless

Peerless Member

Jun 14, 2016
    You won’t get far as a wizard if you expect to learn spells from scrolls that you find or buy, as the game freezes and crashes every time. I’ve raised a support ticket and can only hope others do too, so this gets fixed.

Jstorm and ste86uk like this.