Universal Neuroshima Hex (by Portal Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Sep 17, 2010.

1. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Oh, Carcassonne does this.

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    For games with friends it's asynchronous
    For quick play I believe it's synchronous (you lose if you exit)

3. Slaysme

Slaysme Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Who's we if you didn't buy it? Help them out, then it would proabaly happen faster.
    Game is plenty complete, I'd rather be playing now, and understand the game better when the time does come.

4. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    The games don't last long. I would really be annoyed if they didnt do both versions of mp.

5. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    i didnt say it is unfinished.. i say it could look unfinished.

if you play alot of board games you can get easily the hang of the rules
    and memorize them.. but if you play an actual board game you can pickup
    the rules and read them while you are still in the game.

at the end this is a complex game.. if you don't think so youre an "geek",
    a "core gamer" or whatever they call us.. but youre for sure not an casual
    gamer. doodle jump & co are thoose casual game. so instead of thinking about yourself and about how you feel about the complexity of the game you should look at the dumbest possible customer and optimize for him.
    because if its understandable for him its fine for most of the users.

instead of vidoes the tutorial could have been ingame, reacting to
    to youre input , telling you things on the fly as you go.. instead of an movie
    you need to watch and memerize.

the manual and armies section could be easily (from a design standpoint) implemented into the actualy game, minor redesigns and they would fit easily in a non fullscreen modal view.

youre are told nothing ingame and i think thats horrid in general.

if i want to check on something i pause the game look what i'm after return to the game and it start at the begin of the round? and i need to place everything again?! the game should always save after every "move" you make. this is no hardcore realtime action game so there is plenty of time to react to user input and save a snapshot of the current state.

other stuff that bugs me, is no fast app switching (this takes 1 minute to implement, just send it into the background instead of terminating it, also a good spot to make a save) it makes no sense at all in the time of io4 and the ios4 update for the ipad on the horizon to not support such basics.

and no real retina support. most of the gui stuff etc look pixelated on 4g displays.. some of the bg texture are not , i assume there are already in a high resolution avaiable.

hmm so possible the game feels a bit rushed due to the edges it still has.

at the end of you day you got my 3$ but i would have wished for alot more polish and a more user friendly experience.

most of the appstore customers are cheap anyway.. so thoose 3$ feels to them like 30$, a 5$ game is for them a fullprice experience and if the pay 10$, the game should be lifechanging and make them breakfast.

well i let the game rest for the time being and hope some changes are coming soon, so even my gf can play it ;) hehe

again, good luck with youre sales.

6. baetle

baetle New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Great Strategy game. Easily worth $3. I like all the units and detail. Alot to strategize over. Is it true there is a multiplayer update coming? It's fun playing against the AI, but would be a lot more fun with mutliplayer, especially if it's done like well like Carcassonne. Also, would be great if a new extra hard AI option could be added, I've been whipping the AI lately.

7. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Game Impressions

I've picked this up and played a bit today. It's a good game that will appeal to those who simply like strategy board games, but the port needs an awful lot before it's at the level of Samurai and Carcassonne.

Obviously the multiplayer is the single biggest missing piece. I hope they do it the way Samurai has, making it easy to invite or add friends, including game setup options for turns to last everywhere from 5 minutes to three days, and with an online ELO that can give you a ranking on a leaderboard. And clearly the addition of an easily accessible in-game manual that will explain all the special action pieces is much needed as well.

If those things are added and well-implemented this game will certainly be in contention for the title of best board game on the app store. That the devs are apparently planning some sort of campaign to put into the game as well is exciting--that would be the cherry on top.

8. BigDaddysCreations

BigDaddysCreations Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    @beatle - are you sure you play on hard with the AI? It's really hard on hard :)

To all of you guys. We're aware that asynchronous multiplayer and the in-game help is something this game should have and it will, just give us some time to add it. Other options like iOS4 fast app switching is something we're also taking under the consideration.

9. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #109 drelbs, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
    Whew late response! :eek: Away from computers this weekend, typing this on my Touch...

I've been rely enjoying this game. It's more akin to boardgames like Samurai or Diplomacy than what most people think of a hex based wargame.

It took me a few plays to start understanding the symbols, the most useful in-game Help would be a single screen symbol breakdown.

The faction unit view is cumbersome, you have to go in/out for each unit - I'd love to see swipe left/right on the unit bring up the previous/next unit.

I also wish only the affected units would stay lit, not all the H.Q.s - I found that misleading.

Also "The AI is thinking" is always in yellow - since there is no other indicator of whose turn it is, it would be nice if that text would be in the color of the faction that AI is playing.

If the pieces popped in from the side, you could have the whole board and the pieces visable at the same time. Not a huge deal though as you can open/close the piece tray. That button might work better as a tray toggle (I.e. Tap to close/open instead of tap away to close, tap button to open)

As cute as the discard mechanism is, I still wonder if a drag to discard would feel better...

Don't let all this discourage you from the game, it is IMHO quite polished, an is a unique game and well worth it if you like boardgames. It plays great on my 2nd gen iPod touch. And with all the support bits to figure out, I think this game is probably much easier played electronically! Online multiplayer will really make this game shine...

A tip for newbies: (or anyone for that matter) you can restart your turn by going back to the menu and Resuming your game. Great for times when you realize you discarded the wrong piece, or an action piece didn't play the way you expected.

10. Mindbender

Mindbender Active Member

Aug 9, 2009
    As soon as the iPad Version will be available this is an instabuy for me :)

11. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    So what is everyones favorite faction to play with and why?

12. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Please give the option for playing synchronously or give a 1-2 minute time limit for turns as well? Even playing the computer on hard now, the game rarely last 5 minutes and usually results in a win unless I get blasted by poor tile draws. I think both options should be available.

13. BigDaddysCreations

BigDaddysCreations Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    @jsrco, sure, a quick game, for hardcore players :)
    @ojtitus, The Outpost (green) is my favorite. It has a very hard, but very cool strategy - you just need to be very mobile, attack from a distance and you can inflict like 6-10 points of damage to enemy HQ in a single battle. Hegemony (yellow) is also very good, but it's strength are the Officer modules (+strength in melee).

14. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Any plans for updates?

15. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #115 LordGek, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
    @Big Daddy
    Clearly I've been spoiled by all of these video games, but would it be possible for the game to display my units' modified stats on the board pieces? This would make more clear these aren't the normal stats for a given unit when shown in green if modified up or red when knocked down (so instead of the normal value of the given stat, we'd just see the current modified value). This would be an invaluable aid to us newbies still not sure, for example, which stat a given module is modifying (or if that stat is being modified at all assuming a net could nullify a module's ability to boost another unit).

16. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Those all sounds like great ideas. I'm surprised they weren't implemented from the start

17. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'd think first and foremost because this would be a lot trickier to implement (although surely doable).

As it stands you only need to factor in 6 facings for each piece, if they did this they then would have to change these static images to reflect the current value of any of these modified stats (but then again, this would probably be important to implement for some of the Babel 13 aspects anyways).

18. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Honestly I think The Outpost(green) suits my play style the best, I like the run and gun and it seems I win the most games with them also. I like Hegemony(yellow) but I struggle the most playing as them. I really like the units in Moloch(red) but they don't have enough battle tiles for they way I like to play.

I would really enjoy it if somewhere down the road BigDaddysCreations would make an update with game variants allowing you to customize your armies tile quantities.

Thank You for making a great game BigDaddysCreations!

19. Shatner's hairpiece

Shatner's hairpiece Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2009
    I can't get this game to load to my itouch. I keep checking it 'on' under 'apps' in itunes and try to sync and it just turns it off again and refuses to sync it. The 'icon' briefly appears in the screen view, but then disappears again. Anyone have an idea what the problem could be? This has never happened with any other game. I've got a 3rd gen itouch.

20. lucywaters12

lucywaters12 New Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Neuroshima HEX is a dynamic wargame set in the post-apocaliptic world of Neuroshima RPG. Each player commands his army and tries to place his units (tiles) on the board in the most efficient way; the object is the destruction of your enemy’s HQ buildings.