Universal Neuroshima Hex (by Portal Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Sep 17, 2010.

1. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Yes, I agree it's very easy now with the info tool. Also, they have fixed a bug. When you had selected a tile to discard in your turn and you had 2 tiles of 3, then when you click on pause and resume back again, you had 3! But now you have 2 as it was before pause.

I believe that they could improve rules and units reading without so many clicks. But the info tool is great.

It's definitely one of my favourite games in iphone4 and I'm happy that I have an iphone and not android.

2. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    shoot an email [email protected]

most of the games I start, my opponents leave :/

I'm not fast but down for async action

3. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I'm still learning but I'll send you an invite when I feel confident enough.

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Same here. I'm up for multiplayer once I have the basics of each faction.

5. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    that's one of things I love about this game. that each faction feels different an has different strategies. yet no one is really at a disadvantage or overpowered.

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^A faction may have a distinct advantage over one faction, but they arent overpowering that faction in anyway.

The balance in this game is just fantastic. Most of it boils down to player skill which is what makes multiplayer great. No IAP advantages whatsoever.

7. Agitator Academia

Agitator Academia Active Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Also down for Asynch

Just putting my name out there for Asynch.

GC name: Polixenes

I can't say I can respond quickly but hey - there's almost, (almost), too much asynch out there now a days.
    Hero Academy
    Ascension
    Carcassonne
    Words with...., Kidding..just kidding...

8. WakeOfPoseidon

WakeOfPoseidon Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Engineer
    #688 WakeOfPoseidon, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
    I'll throw my hat in the ring - I know I have several of you already on my GameCenter friends list, but until the game supports invites via GC, here is my email address for N.Hex game invites:

(GC id: WakeOfPoseidon)

I tend to game in short bursts, so I mainly play async (as opposed to live) games.

OneWithChaos, I'll be sending you a game invite shortly!

9. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes, the source material seems exceptionally polished.

Speaking of balance, since you seem to have a solid grasp of the factions and experience in comparing the balance between the armies: with the async update on the way, I recently sat down and looked into the IAP factions. And it seems to me that Neojungle, with its unique Motherland network, might be either near-godlike to opponents who fail to sever a well-connected and module-supported Motherland, and damn near helpless against those who focus on preventing the spread of the jungle (what with the lack of ranged troops, etc). Is this the case?

(Neojungle is my favourite faction so far, but I am wary of making it my primary choice in online competitive play, since I've the nagging suspicion most skilled opponents will belong to the latter category mentioned above, those who ensure that my jungle will never spread enough to connect most units, and thus Neojungle might be a subpar choice.)

10. BigDaddysCreations

BigDaddysCreations Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    Guys, no factions is overpowered or underpowered. Different tactics has to be used when playing one faction against another, but the only thing that matters is how good you are (OK, and a bit of luck). We all here at BDC have played literally dozens of games and we all feel this game is really, really, well balanced.

BTW, if any of you feels like trying to beat me (Ɓukasz), start a game with me: lazarecki[at]gmail.com

11. Zoet

Zoet Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Newcastle, Australia
    I've primarily been playing with Neojungle online, and games have gone both ways. It's really a matter of luck at times whether you create a successful motherland or not, or weather Borgo gets its damn net fighters on you or some such. Neojungle also has so be wary of playing too aggressively, and I don't think I've ever ever triggered a battle with a battle tile whilst playing it. It is enough to get just one unit attacking the enemy HQ, preferably a nightshade or monster, and focussing the rest on protecting the motherland and the modules.

A recent opponent playing as outpost wiped me out by just constantly playing their battle tiles, even when it wouldn't damage my base. It didn't give me a chance to get a good motherland up an running.

I'm up for a private game. Here's my email:

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^Outpost is doing its job IF they can keep the board clear. They SHOULD be initiating battles more often than the other factions.

13. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    You misunderstand my purpose :) I did not intend to criticize the balance, but merely question if Neojungle (or, perhaps, jungle spread tactics in particular) might not be viable in some scenarios, against some armies, against some strategies, and in particular, against those who focus their efforts on severing the Motherland. Considering Neojungle has no ranged attacks (and that their HQ ability can effectively be disabled), it seems that against jungle cutters, they only have poison and one or two truly effective melee beasts to fall back upon. If my analysis of the risks of playing Neojungle in competitive settings was indeed correct (and it seems it might have been, at least partially), I hoped to get a discussion going on how to either protect the Motherland and maintain Neojungle's advantage, or how to utilize other Neojungle strengths to win against those who target the jungle spread.

(By the way, while I do believe you on the balance, a dozen games is not enough to establish statistic relevance, and thus is not a sufficient argument for balance. Nearly any game with vastly different armies/units/factions/etc, board games as well as computer, require hundreds, if not thousands, test runs in order to even begin analyze issues of balance.

In this case, however, I trust in the source material, and the balancing conducted by the creators.)

There seems to be some merit to my analysis, then. So, for those with jungle fever :), the tactical discussion then becomes: how do we protect and keep intact our Motherland network? And, if we fail, how do we utilize other Neojungle strengths to win?

Perhaps enemy focus on severing the spread of the jungle will leave us with opportunities to attack on other fronts?

14. Zoet

Zoet Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Newcastle, Australia
    I haven't played enough online games yet to truly lay down any statergy rules, but Neojungle can come from behind really well. I've had two games where the points difference was only 1, one victory and one defeat. Both were against the outpost, and ended with me doing massive damage to the oponent's HQs after they had spent most of the game successfully puning my jungle.

Nets, obviously, are the jungle's worst enemy, but your own net fighters latched onto the oponent's HQ and then well protected by other units is a good tactic. And never, ever, let Moloch barricade itself in a corner. The jungle's low initiative without the boosing modules is, I think, its biggest weakness; so those - besides your HQ - are your most precious tiles. Whilst not an army that is always sure to win, Neojungle in competitive play is certainly fun, so I wouldn't avoid using it just because you're worried about losing, although when a game goes bad for you, it can go embarrassingly bad!

15. Joebob1717

Joebob1717 Active Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Should I buy this ? I tried the lite version seems good not too sure thought, also it seems a bit confusing , is there a better guide anywhere?

16. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2012
    #696 Jambo, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
    Hi lukasz,

Can you please add an indicator to the lobby interface to show you which games need your attention. I think that's the only major interface issue I find frustrating.

Also are there any plans to add stats? Just wondering this as a way to discourage the plethora of rage quitters.

Ascension does both of these really well.

Lastly any chance for more than 5 games at a time? I'm sure this isn't helping the quitting situation much. Slow moving games using up a precious slot are more likely to get abandoned.

17. Zoet

Zoet Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Newcastle, Australia
    Yeah rage quitting is a big problem. In almost all of my games where I am winning or am just about to win, the other person just quits without a word, or if we've been using the chat feature, says 'GG' and then bails before initiating the final battle!

18. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    yea games not going at all sucks. I think I'm only gonna start games from invites now. please feel free to start a game with me. I do moves daily and try to do them throughout the day: [email protected]

19. telos81

telos81 Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Has anyone tried signing in for online games on two devices?

I setup my acct on my iPad - and my password is being rejected when I try to sign in on my phone!

20. BigDaddysCreations

BigDaddysCreations Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    It should work. Maybe you misspelled your password on the other device. Try deleting your account using the link provided when registering for the first time and use the same e-mail to register again.