Universal Neon Chrome (by 10tons Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Nov 16, 2016.

1. 10tonsLtd

10tonsLtd Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    #161 10tonsLtd, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    The battery saver mode looks good! We're sleeping a few millisecs during each update when battery saver is on. You can see how the game starts saving cpu and gpu resources when the battery saving mode is switched on. Naturally this lowers the frame rate as less time is spent on delivering frames and more times is spent sleeping. However, power draw drops significantly.

We'll see if we can do some more elaborate solutions later, but this should be helpful to those who feel the power demand is too high. That said, many other "high end games" will draw a lot of power and thus make devices hot as well. iPhones will get hotter than iPads simply due to the smaller surface area of the device.

Anyways, hopefully this update goes through review on monday!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. spizak

spizak Active Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Last time i tried Leap of Fate had no mfi = dead to me. Not sure now. Also - i so like Neon Chrome shooting better, feels more meaty than spells in Leap.

3. spizak

spizak Active Member

Jul 23, 2010
    It's not smooth as butter on iphone 6 on anything higher than low. I mean i come from pc 90/120 frps gameing so maybe we have dufferent def of what smooth as butter is - but this is not 60fps. Crimsonland is smooth as butter, almost wished this game was 2D - would run better and for this kind of game that's a key.

4. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Picked this up after the review and seeing most of you all loving it!

5. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Thanks devs

6. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Battery saving mode sounds good. :)

So what about the brightness setting? Did we get a response I missed? :eek:

7. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Devs listening to their customers. Now that is what i am talking about. Even if it is unplayable for me by now i will not ask for a refund. You deserve my 5€ even if i can not play the game. Thank you devs.

8. 10tonsLtd

10tonsLtd Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    #168 10tonsLtd, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    That's also on our todo list too. It seems displays and devices differ regarding brightness. Partly this is also a matter of taste (what you are used to) and playing environment (brightly lit rooms vs. darker rooms) also. In any case, we should be able to provide some options to optimize the experience for different situations.

Not sure which way to choose yet though. Pumping up general light level in-game affects the assassin character (it uses floor lightning levels to determine how hidden you are) so that doesn't work well. We could add a brightness slider which would pump up levels in the shading phase - this might cost some performance if done per pixel in pixel shading. Third option is to see if we can use the sRGB system on the device which maybe adapts the gamma levels automatically which should improve the darker tones.

And try to adjust brightness on device first of course in the settings. Auto-brightness makes the screen sometimes really dim. It may help.

9. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    I'm not having either of these problems so I wonder if there is a connection between the overheating and brightness issues. Are any of the effected experiencing only one of these problems?

10. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Ok, after not being able to put it down anymore I have to admit: favorite twin stick shooter on iOS. Just super competent on all levels. With the roguelike randomness this will stay on my device for a very very long time!

11. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Increasing my device's brightness setting increases battery drain.
    Plus all the talk of "overheating" is making me not want to go too far with it.
    My brightness at 50% is still kind of dark in this game...
    100% makes some things like lights kind of too bright.
    *exits app* # Too bright! :p

Affecting performance doesn't sound like the best idea. And wouldn't that affect battery usage? (Kind of ironic, considering the brightness setting thing.)
    I'm not a programming expert though, so what do I know? :p
    Anyway...
    Thank you for making the game better. :)

12. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #172 Misguided, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    I found Leap of Fate boring and frustrating, and didn't like the small arena size. I'm having much more fun with this and have already spent more time playing it. Then, I also don't think this game isn't quite as easy as some have said. Maybe if you want a harder experience LoF would be better.

13. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Leap of Fate is frantic full on fighting.
    Neon Chrome can be played at a lot slower pace and relies more on precision shots.
    Totally different games imho.

Oh, one other thing and sorry if it is common knowledge or has been mentioned before.
    In Neon Chrome if you shut the game down when you start a new level it will save your position.

14. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I love this "meatier dual stick shooter" subgenre and i gotta say, the more the merrier!

Each one has its own identity and defines itself from the others, so having Leap of Fate, Neon Chrome and Feral Fury in a folder with the likes of Bastion, Space Marshals, Inferno 2, Xenowerk, Halo Spartans, and (in some ways) Implosion just makes me a happy kid.

I wish the Solomon games were updated, or at least that new Solomon game happens.

15. GUILTIE

GUILTIE Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    That's a bummer to hear, but I guess my phone is reaching the two year mark...

16. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    I'm on an iPhone 7 Plus running 10.0.1 and holy crap I thought you guys were over exaggerating about the heat.. In my 7 years of iOS gaming i've never had a game heat up my device like this! Oh well, it's kinda cold here so it's actually kind of nice :p

17. shodanng

shodanng Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    For the developer, mobile game need optimisation.

And you should test it in more device, or just invite more tester that have different device.

I hope that your next update will fix the overheat problem.

In many testing, battery run in a very hot temperature will reduce battery life.

Last time I play game as overheat as Neon Chrome, is using iPhone 5S to play MHP2G for iOS. It seems the optimisation is not good enough too.

18. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While I also enjoy LoF, I really love the LETHALITY of damage in this game. Most baddies go down in just 1-2 hits and stepping on a mine will probably end you. This all combined tends to make runs tight and brutal.

19. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Hmmm must be devices with only 1GB of ram. It's silky af on the 6S.

20. o0oJAKEo0o

o0oJAKEo0o Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    Bastion is my favorite game! :)