Apple TV NeoArcade - coming soon with 4 arcade games! (Crescent Moon)

Discussion in 'Apple TV Games' started by JoshCM, Nov 19, 2015.

1. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Hello all!
    Here's our latest Apple TV extravaganza - developed by Claymore Games.
    Its a 4 game retro arcade - and each game has up to 2 players, using the Apple TV remote or another controller.

We submitted it last night so it should arrive within a few weeks. It will later come to iPhone and iPad as well.
    -Josh

2. Showmelater

Showmelater Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    Wow! Looks nice #

3. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    I'll probably pick this up for the NeoCycles (pronounced "light cycles") alone. How much will this run for?

4. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    AS of right now, we're pricing it at 2.99 for the 4 games.

5. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Looks awesome, definite purchase on release from me.

Apple TV is excellent for local multiplayer gaming. I strongly believe that games like this, especially compilations of mini games, is where the Apple TV will be especially popular.

6. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Should be live by now...

7. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Does two player mode require a MFi controller or did you make a remote app for the game?

8. Claymore Brian

Claymore Brian Active Member

2-Player does require an MFi controller at the moment, but we're looking in to doing a remote app on the phone.

9. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    I was super excited for this and it looked great from the video but am super disappointed in it unfortunately :(

For one thing, it's incredibly buggy. Every time I start the app the music and sound are switched off and I need to go into the menu to switch them back on, every time. It's also crashed a few times, swipes are not always registered, and in general it feels like a beta.

Next, it doesn't feel very polished. Graphical effects look awesome, but the general interface and UX could be improved a lot. The single music track runs constantly... You play a game of tanks, go back to the menu screen, then go into a different game mode, but the same music is looping the whole time - it doesn't even stop between games. Games also end abruptly... "winner / loser" then suddenly you're taken back to the main menu. No option to rematch, no scoring, not even a game over screen. It could have a lot more polish in terms of the multiplayer element too; dramatising the scores more, better displaying who's winning... Instead there's just a sudden end where someone's declared the winner. It just feels like normal things are missing.

But the worst thing is the gameplay. It's just not very fun. I really don't want to be so critical because I think the general concept of a retro-style bundle of mini games is a brilliant idea, but the games are all just mediocre clones of boring games like breakout, snake, or air hockey with fancy graphics on top. Some of the added gameplay mechanics make no sense, they even make it less fun than the original in many cases.

I understand there was a very short space of time to get games done for the Apple TV but I think you could have a far more successful result by selecting just one game mode, giving it a high degree of polish, making the gameplay ridiculously enjoyable, making sure multiplayer was addictive, and release it as a standalone game. There are so few [actually, no – there are none] good multiplayer games on the Apple TV right now yet multiplayer is by far the best feature of the Apple TV, all it takes is one simple, very good game to stay at the top of the charts for a long time.

10. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    We just submitted a pretty big update:

- NeoTanks - Fixed drone hit area.
    - NeoTanks - Fixed missile turret firing (no longer kill themselves!)
    - NeoTanks - Fixed tank colour when low health and have shield pickup.
    - NeoTanks - Tweaked NeoTanks controls so they're a bit less frantic.
    - General - Fixed game name getting cut off on some TVs.
    - General - New hint texts for charge blasts.
    - General - Fixed controller not reconnecting properly while in game.
    - General - Small tweak to sensitivity of controls in NeoFire and NeoSmash.
    - General - Fixed issue when connecting or disconnecting a controller
    while already in game configuration menus.
    - General - Fixed SFX and music options not saving.
    - General - Game Center leader boards are now viewable!

11. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Great to see this getting some love! :)

12. babaroga73

babaroga73 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2016
    This game needs 2 things to be perfect : 1. A single proper review with in-game video on youtube, just to see how well it plays (and not that flashy trailer) 2. Landscape mode (I know AirHockey probably can't, but why not Tanks and blocks and Cycles ?)