Universal Neo Scavenger (by Blue Bottle Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Lurchroboter, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Lurchroboter

Lurchroboter Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2016
    Thats totally me, Reaganomics! Btw, playing mostly on iPhone 7 plus. I can confirm that playing on a phone works nicely. Nothings better than survival on the go #

2. dcfedor

dcfedor New Member

This is not something I knew about. The IAP messes-up family subscribers? What happens when a family member tries to play the game? And is this iOS or Android? (I'm pretty new to mobile.)

Unfortunately, adding separate apps is a bit of a can of worms, which is mainly why I tried to roll the demo and full version into a single app ID.

But if it's just a setting I can change somewhere, maybe I should look into that.

3. dcfedor

dcfedor New Member

Also, glad to hear the game is treating some of you well! I, too, am one of those people that kinda just wanted to play PC-like games on my tablet or phone, and had a hard time finding them.

Good to know there are some kindred spirits out there :)

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Not really - IAP is not sharable via Family Sharing across the board.

5. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    #65 Reaganomics, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Hi Developer. Basically, going from the zoomed-out mini map, after tapping on it, and then returning back to the main map is causing the main map to disappear. Restarting the game fixes the issue. But maybe maybe you can look into it. Thank you!

6. FivepastTA

FivepastTA Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2012
    The UI is absolutely horrendous.

7. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    ...it's the lack of documentation. And Dwarf Fortress is a bad comparison-because it is nearly inscrutable.

8. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    #68 Ghostdog1, Jul 29, 2017
    Is there a hidden button where i can turn on 'hover over an item to see the item-info'? I watched some gameplay videos pf the pc version and in the pc version you just need to hover over an item/action to see the info. In the mobile version you need to hold every item or action for a second to see what it does. I cannot believe this is missing in a game where you have to check every piece of loot for its condition. So is there something i have to switch on?

9. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    #69 Tinsel, Jul 29, 2017
    I have a bad bug. It sounds like what someone a few posts above me was reporting, but possibly slightly different. I have the app on both iPhone 6+ and iPad Air 2. They are both running 10.3.3. This bug only occurs on the iPad and never on the iPhone. It occurs every time on the iPad.

Whenever I touch the "large" map button (what I would call an overview map), the screen gets heavily zoomed in on the iPad and cannot be zoomed out. The iPad will only show the very top left of the large map. The interface is unaffected. However, because it is only showing the top left of the overview map, when I go back to the regular hex map, I am way off course (presumably in the top left area of the map which is unexplored and therefore black). Everything still works, I am able to tap on random black areas and still see the hex selecting the area I tapped, but I am unable to scroll myself back to my starting area (the map is so big I keep scrolling to where I think I am but never reach it). Ending the turn will snap my hex view back to my area. But the overview map will immediately cause the same problem to happen again. The overview map works fine on the iPhone and I am able to scroll myself back to my starting area if I, for example, tap on the top left and then use the overview map to correctly scroll back to my original position.

Again, on the iPad, after tapping on the overview map button, I CANNOT zoom out (it feels as though the interface has been hyper-zoomed in), so I know the first suggestion will be to try to zoom out. I will provide a screenshot if my description is not enough for you to see this bug.

Edit - I should also mention that when in this hyper-zoomed in mode, the interface buttons stay the same size. It is only the actual map itself that is zoomed in.

10. ikmalmn

ikmalmn Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Alright, after some few hours of going into the game (bought the full version). I think I can make a reliable first impression of this.

The game feels heavily from Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead (C:DDA) and Fallout 1. So, if you have a good itch on either one of this game, this game suits you just nice. As of now, I would highly recommend checking this game out and trying it as it feels pretty unique especially for a mobile game. However, I also would discourage people from fully buying it for now as the game is having a few major problems in its current state. First is that the game is plagued in crashing especially when its trying to save. It's a hit or miss on whether you'll make it through. It crashes so often I think it's actually unplayable since you progress so little and end up losing the save usually. Second is the UI, specifically the inventory system, it's pretty tiny, but....playable when you compare it against the crashes. Though this might be because of my thin fingers as I had not much of a problem after adjusting to it. I reckon it's could be classified as unplayable if you have big fingers. Third is the lack of tutorial, you fumble a lot when it doesn't teaches you stuff and better resort to the wiki for some beginner or game mechanic guides like the crafting system, the meaning of the box icon, how combat works and etc.

So, so far, the game needs quite a bit of tweaking and optimizing so that it crashes less as that's it's the biggest problem followed by the UI and lack of tutorial. I have faith that the dev can fix this and to other consumers, just wait it out until an update comes that's going to fix it before buying a full version priced at a hefty 10$.

P.S Using an IPad 2 when playing this
    P.S.S For demo users, please remember that it does not save and quitting the app will make you lose all progress. So make sure you have some freetime.

11. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    While I wouldn't go quite that far, I will say that just slapping a PC game on mobile with a zoom in feature isn't quite good enough. While I appreciate another really good, popular game coming to the main platform that I game on, you've got to meet me half way if you want my money. Certainly what's currently displayed all at once could be broken up into tabs or something.

Having everything splayed out and the clumsy zoom feature does not play well with what seems like a very unresponsive UI. Every time I'm in the inventory, it's a struggle to bring up the item description popup. It's also incredibly frustrating trying to equip and remove items from the character's person.

I will say that I very much appreciate the decision to make the game playable for free to an extent with an IAP full game unlock. At first this seemed detrimental, but I appreciate being given the chance to test the waters. Obviously the developer knew what mobile gamers were in for given how this was converted from PC to mobile. I just hope that the level of interest in mobile is enough to convince the dev to invest the time and energy going back to the drawing board to create a significant update in which the work of truly translating this game for mobile gamers is fully undertaken.

There really is a super cool game buried under a thick outer layer of clunk and obfuscation.

12. Reaganomics

Apr 26, 2009
    #72 Reaganomics, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    On the main screen, go to help, and there's a link to the manual. I went through it, and things make a little more sense now. I've been playing it the whole weekend, and I haven't done anything else. I agree that some of the kinks need to be worked out, which I'm sure the dev is aware of. But what we have here, if one really pays attention, is a survival game that captures the raw, gritty, dystopian post apocalyptic theme that we're all familiar with, while throwing in dark humor, a good story, random events and encounters, crafting and other cool stuff, which I'm not going to type about right now. It's pretty amazing stuff.

13. TheJoey4

TheJoey4 Active Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Loving it so far. Minor crashes but the autosave is pretty exact on when the app poops out. Def. isnt a big deal though, but tends to happen sorta-often when crafting.

Doesnt stop my 5 star tho -- game is deep and challenging!

14. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    I still gives 5 stars to the game.
    But I pray for the UI to be revamped. It is not IOS friendly at all...

15. dcfedor

dcfedor New Member

Hi Folks! Thanks for the kind words and detailed feedback! There is some good, actionable stuff in here. Also some stuff I agree with, but don't know how to fix yet. But at least I know where to start looking :)

To some of the more specific points:

Map/Minimap Zoom Issues

Loud and clear. It sounds like we have a camera zoom bug in the minimap on some devices, so we'll see if we can solve this.

Missing Tutorial

It's possible in my attempts to make the tutorial non-invasive, I made it too subtle. I've heard folks say crafting is a big one. Are there others that were particularly hard to figure out?

Item Pop-Up Info

This is coming up more and more, so is obviously a bigger pain point that I expected. People want to see item data quickly and easily, and tap-and-hold isn't cutting it. I've made a note to self to look into alternatives. It's possible that simply dragging a finger around the UI can trigger pop-ups just like on PC as long as the user isn't in the process of moving an item or zoom/panning around.

Crashes

This comes up enough to be concerning, but reproduction steps are still uncertain. So far, it sounds like crafting may be the most likely cause, and/or saving.

During testing, we were actually thinking we had crash frequency pretty low (less than once per 1-2 hours on some pretty old devices), but perhaps we were wrong/didn't test enough/missed some representative devices.

We'll be looking into this, but if there are any more clues as to what causes this, let me know. Repro steps for a crash bug are super helpful!

I'm glad it was received that way. That was indeed my hope. I knew I wouldn't make it perfect, being my first mobile app and such a UI bear to begin with. So hopefully, giving folks the chance to try before they bought it was useful.

Will I be able to perfect it? Doubtful. I couldn't even do that on PC :) But there are some really good suggestions coming in, and at least enough work to fill the next few patches. So I'll keep trying!

16. Reaganomics

Apr 26, 2009
    #76 Reaganomics, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    As a temporary solution, is it possible to make the game continue right where you left off when it crashes? This way there's recourse after a crash, and you don't have to do everything all over again. Currently, I save my game every twenty seconds which is tiring. Or maybe there can be a quick save also which makes saving more convenient.

17. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    I may develop websites and not games, but let me give you a piece of advice. Nothing is perfect; ever. So don't worry about that. All it has to do is "work." Having to zoom in and clumsily scroll around isn't really working, unless you consider pushing your car to work commuting. I'd recommend you take a look at the evolution of Xeonshyft. Maybe contact the developers, introduce yourself, and explain your situation with the mobile UI. That game was a lot like yours before they started patching it. Everything was just splayed out on a single screen and it was like, "Here you go! Board game on your phone!!" Through patches they tightened things up, increased graphic/text legibility, tweaked the layout, and it's been awhile, but I think they might have even made some areas collapsable or like tabs.

In a nutshell, the game went from a chore to play to a joy. It really is a great, although punishing game. I'm sure they could maybe mentor you a little bit on this issue.

Personally I think the idea of tabs is great. I don't need to see the text area that tells me every game action that's happening constantly. A tab that maybe blinked when something new popped up and have the things I haven't "seen" by opening the tab highlighted in some way. i think you could consolidate some of the buttons. Maybe instead of having a button for world map, one for default screen, one for inventory, etc you could have one or two that move you through these. The way it is is great if I'm sitting at a desktop in a chair with one hand on the keyboard and another on the mouse like I'm in a command posture, but I'm hunched over my phone or have it hovering over my head in one hand while the other hand is trying to do everything. This body position is much more in line with flipping through a layered interface.

Again, you seem like an earnest, talented fellow and I hope you continue to do well with your game and grow as a developer. :)

18. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nice update, I'm not triggering the zoom accidentally any more. :)