Out Now Neo Cab (by Surprise Attack Games)

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA

2. Morbus Iff

Morbus Iff Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Wow. I am lovin' this one.

ste86uk and andsoitgoes like this.
  3. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Dec 29, 2013
    Really cool and great atmosphere, but I’m a little bummed because I thought you actually got to drive

4. Stranded87

Stranded87 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    This is great so far. Along with Mutazione it's my fav of the 15-ish Apple Arcade games I've tried so far. Such good writing.

ste86uk and andsoitgoes like this.
  5. Stranded87

Sep 18, 2009
    Just finished this. It's definitely my iOS GotY so far and probably my GotY for any platform. My only real complaint is that it's quite short, but there's a lot of replay value in it.

andsoitgoes likes this.
  6. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I was just thinking this. I love, LOVE, that you can time travel and modify your choices on the fly.

yes there is some stuff that seems sooo on the nose, but at the same time it’s a world that I love despite’s those flaws.

It’s compelling and very anxiety producing. Some sluggish moments on the Apple TV but so be it, might push me to upgrade if they announce a more capable box.

7. andsoitgoes

Finished it.

man have I never been so engaged in a game before. I keep thinking games can’t surprise me anymore and then games like this come out and I’m blown away. This is hands down a must play for anyone interested in a compelling story with some very unique gameplay mechanics.

The game like a choose your own adventure story with a branching narrative that honestly makes you think about the choices you make. It’s not a difficult game by any means and you can finish it in maybe an hour or two, but there are so many choices you simply can’t make in one go that there are a million reasons to come back. I found myself 100% engaged from start to finish. I cared about the decisions I made and while I’m sure the variation isn’t crazy, but I was engrossed enough in the story that I want to read the rest of what happens. The writing is really compelling again if a bit on the nose.

another a+ arcade game. Can’t wait to see what else they come up with

Morbus Iff and ste86uk like this.
  8. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I do enjoy choose your own games and I often play the text only ones and the games telltale use to make, if I’m remember their name right?

I’m liking this so far and definitely interested in learning more although I don’t feel yet like my decisions have had much impact on changing anything in the game but I guess I wouldn’t know that for sure unless I played again after completion.

Im unsure how long it is with some of those comments but I’m pretty sure I played for at least an hour and I’m only on day 2 so far?

andsoitgoes likes this.
  9. andsoitgoes

its a relatively brief affair that’s made shorter, or longer, by considering how many people you pick up.

your decisions do impact the story to a degree, I sort of feel it’s like mass effect in some ways, and they can influence how you end things.

having completed it and doing a retake on the ending, I’m very intrigued to go back in and try my hand at changing the structure to see if that impacts the overall story and relationships which I’m really motivated to do.

the world building is great, especially considering you see nothing but static shots of most people and the inside of the cab. It felt like LO was a real place that existed.

ste86uk likes this.
  10. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I only just started day 3 and although I’m going to play more I can’t help but feel like I don’t really have all that many choices or can change much because my mood always changes and blocks options.

11. andsoitgoes

that’s part of the point and is explained earlier in the game. Your mood is actually a big part of the decisions. Those choices are inaccessible due in part to you not, say, defending yourself more. Sometimes your choices will be false to what you believe in order to keep your rating, but then it denies your true feelings which, later on, cuts off certain decisions.

it takes a lot from depression quest and the mass effect games. Miss to many opportunities and those choices are blanked out.

12. Dahaka

Dahaka Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I’m not even half way through the game, but I do think it’s pretty nice.
    The atmosphere they create is interesting, and the emotion gameplay mechanic is fun.

But I do think this game tremendously could benefit from better sound design.

Especially after just finishing ‘assemble with care’ which featured a full voiced over story and had a good sound effects, It feels Neo Cab missed an opportunity to get the emersion to the next level.

That would have made this game so much better.

ste86uk likes this.
  13. andsoitgoes

while I agree with you, it’s hard to compare the two. AWC is a very short story with a very small cast, versus Neo cab with a humongous cast of characters and tons of dialogue choices.

I compare it to VA11-HALL-A on pc/consoles. It’s a visual novel at its heart versus AWC which is a short, linear puzzle game.

14. Dahaka

Dahaka Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Oh there is no doubt that these are vastly different games. And I can imagine the budget exploding if Neo Cab was fully voiced, but it would be really nice and really get me more into the game. Its the same with games on the traditional consoles like ps4 and XB1 I notice that I hardly finish games that are not fully voiced. For me It’s part of the suspension of disbelieve.

15. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @andsoitgoes I'm confused. You previously said it’s a short game that can be finished in an hour or two and yet now you’re describing it as a game with humongous cast and tons of dialogues. Sounds kinda paradoxical. I didn’t have a chance to try it yet but I’m absolutely going to. As a matter of fact, it doesn’t really bother me how long it is. I’m sure I’ll enjoy it nevertheless.

16. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Over The Alps is a similar multiple choice game and to me it’s superior to this. I haven’t felt the urge to go back to this yet and I’m pretty sure I’ve already played an hour or two or Neo cab. Still it’s worth checking out but I wouldn’t go into it expecting it to be amazing.

17. Stranded87

Sep 18, 2009
    It's about 2 hours long but almost all of that is dialogue. You also choose what to say (which will also change how people reply). Plus I think I probably had about 50-60% of the possible encounters (there were some characters I never gave a ride to and some I could have given more rides to, but you can't do it all in one playthrough). So all in it would probably be somewhere in the range of 8-10 hours of dialogue and 10+ actors, which for an indie game is a major investment, especially since it would need to be very well performed when the dialogue is so integral.