Universal Nekosan (by 1Button)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by 1Button, Oct 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1Button

1Button Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2013
    France
    #1 1Button, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    Hi guys,

We are super happy to unveil Nekosan, our new platformer! We are showing it for the first time, so we are a bit nervous :)
    Please give us your feedback!

Launch date: November 3

In a way, Nekosan (‘Mr Cat’ in Japanese) is the worthy successor to Mr Jump. You still have to tap anywhere to jump, but you can also wall jump to change direction.

[​IMG]

All the levels are handmade, with a smooth difficulty curve and a good balance between platform and puzzle mechanics. Each level is divided into small stages that almost always fit on screen. The goal is to grab all the stars to complete a stage.

In addition to the stars, a fish is sometimes hidden in a stage, but catching it can be really tough (if you know us, you know what “tough” means :D).
    Fish can be used to unlock additional playable characters: a female cat, a bear, a duck, a monkey, … More characters will be added over time.

The game includes 8 levels (each made of 10 stages). New levels will be added on a regular basis.

Nekosan will be free with a few ads and a few optional IAPs.

If you want to try it out NOW, please send me a PM with your email address,
    I’ll send you back a TestFlight invite!

2. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    This looks great. Looks as though each level is a little time challenge. Is that the case? I'm super into autorunners right now so I love to check this out. I sent you a pm.

3. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Oh wow, I like the look of this way more than Mr.Jump, I could not really get into Mr.Jump sorry, but I am stoked for this, I also really liked Super Sharp so I know you guys are good.

4. Patthegymnast

Patthegymnast Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2016
    #4 Patthegymnast, Oct 24, 2016
    Just sent you a PM! When will the TestFlight start?

5. 1Button

Apr 22, 2013
    France
    #5 1Button, Oct 25, 2016
    Thank you all :)
    I sent the TestFlight invites. Don't hesitate to post your feedback here.

There is no time limit to complete the levels. But for each level your best time will be on the Game Center. And you can also try to beat the developers' time to get the "time medal" (don't worry it's not our very best time :p).

For each level you can actually get 3 medals:
    - Fish medal: catch all the fish in one game
    - Cat medal: complete the level with one life
    - Time medal: beat the developers' time

6. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Just played level 1 and it's great fun, it has the 1Button menu layout what I love about all their games so that's familiar.

Getting the fish is really hard, you just have to figure it out.

I see AndyC83 on top of the leaderboard, he is three times faster than me so I have to work on that as well ha ha.

I am glad that the Leaderboards still work despite of the abandance of Gamecenter.

7. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #7 Andy C83, Oct 25, 2016
    I told you we'd meet again, Roger. <3

Just popped in to say that I am in love with this game. Only played the first 2 levels of World A so far (having spent considerable time speerunning on Level A1 to beat Thomas from 1Button ;)). But yeah, fans of Mr. Jump are gonna love this: the music, the level design, the cute characters you can unlock, the medal targets - it's all spot on and I'm enjoying this a lot.

Maybe have an option for some kind of timer for those that want it? It helps with the the speedrunning. ;)

All in all I can't see this being anything other than another huge hit for 1Button.

8. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Apple Tv?

Will this be available on Apple TV too? Mr Jump is one of our all time favourites on the TV! :D

9. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    As Roger and Andy have indicated this is an awesome, super fun game. If you like challenging one button game play you need to check this out.

Kudos to 1 button for making such a great game.

It would be cool if there was a practice mode so you could rerun the same level over and over. This game requires precision timing and I have been using up all my lives in one level and I can't get past it.

Thanks for the TestFlight access, 1 button.

10. spiel

spiel Well-Known Member

Hey,

The game looks awesome! Btw, we'll be sharing the same release date - Nov 3rd with our game Cue [D]!

All the Best!

Cheers

11. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Just got all the fish from level one and finished the level with one life so I only need to beat the developers score to get all the medals from level one, great game, great replayability.

12. kythg

kythg Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    Game Designer
    London
    Really cute and clean visual style, loving the little tail on the cat!

13. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    I also have to chime in to praise this game after playing 2 levels (20 stages). Graphics are well done and cute, I'm glad to see another post about the cat tail, as I was rather charmed by it as well. Menus are clean and easy to use with minimal text. I didn't know what medal I had, so I tried tapping on them, and whadda ya know, a detailed popover explained them :) There's an option to continue the stage you were playing if the app quits, great stuff.

For people who have played Mr Jump and thought it was too hard, you'll enjoy this game more. Passing all 10 stages in a level by collecting the star(s) isn't as difficult as the levels in Mr Jump. You even get 9 lives ;) each level. The optional medal goals are there to satisfy completionists who enjoy a higher difficulty, and the leaderboards are there to compete for low times. So there's a nice balance to cater to both types of players. Great job, team 1Button!

14. 1Button

Apr 22, 2013
    France
    Thank you all for the kind words!

We indeed wanted Nekosan to remind of Mr Jump! There are several elements that are similar in both games, we believe it's for the best :)

We also wanted Nekosan to feature a more progressive difficulty curve and more replayability. This is why the levels are quite "easy" to complete but there are several other things to do that requires more skills (the fish and the medals). We are glad you liked that!

And thank you for noticing the tail :)

@spiel Good luck ;)

15. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Just want to know of the timer is running on first touch in a stage or is it running all the time when you start a level.

16. 1Button

Apr 22, 2013
    France
    The timer starts on first touch. This means you can wait a little, for example if some objets are animated.

17. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    #17 ROGER-NL, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    Yeah an example of this is stage 8 on level 1 you just wait a little to get the right side open and then you go.

Just beaten the developer score ha ha, now I got all three medals on level 1.

I also see that Matt 33 is the new leader, I just want to say that everybody needs to play his game Risky Bee it's great fun.

18. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    So far, so good. The controls take a little while to get used to - it's not as instinctive as Mr. Jump - and I'd really consider reducing the ad frequency. I tried to play with them for a little while before "purchasing" the No Ads option and I found them immensely frustrating.

I can see myself playing this for a good long while though.

As others have mentioned, I'd like to be able to see the clock shown at least when replaying a level.Don't think it's needed on the first run-through.

19. 1Button

Apr 22, 2013
    France
    Thanks for the feedback. We are currently trying different frequencies, so it may change before the official launch. Unlike Mr Jump, we can now update the ad frequency remotely.

Btw, you won't be charged for the IAPs while using the TestFlight version (even if it asks for your password...).

We'll consider adding an optional timer in a future update :)

20. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Just played level 4 it's the most fun level so far, I really like the multiple jump power-up in this level and it's very varied.