Need some direction for Development....

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Nightmoore, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Nightmoore

Nightmoore Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Freelance Artist
    Nashville, TN
    I'm probably in the wrong area of these boards to post this question, but it looks like a good place to start. So here goes!....

I'm what you would call a "well rounded" designer with a lot of knowledge using traditional art media, all of Adobe's products and even 3D modeling (I do a lot of work inside 3DS MAX and Zbrush). I've asked a lot of people in the Nashville (TN) area and tried a little networking, but unfortunately I haven't discovered a single programmer in the area who has any interest (or knowledge) in developing using Objective-C or any iphone/itouch application.

Seeing as how this is still a "fresh" market to break into, what would be the best method to unite an artist/designer with a programmer who needs help? Suggestions?

Again, I'm not trying to solicit anything of commercial value here....I'm just trying to find an app-programmer that needs some pixel-loving!

Thanks guys!
    www.pixelshock.com

2. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    wow some of your stuff is great. Im a beginning graphic designer myself.

3. Nightmoore

Nightmoore Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Freelance Artist
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks Rocket!

4. where is the pixel artwork in your portfolio

Hi;

I just had a look at your website, and couldn't find any pixel art in your portfolio.

What sort of stuff are you wanting to do on the iPhone?

Shen

5. Nightmoore

Nightmoore Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Freelance Artist
    Nashville, TN
    #5 Nightmoore, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
    Hey Shen!

Dude, it all ends up as pixels. ;)
    Seriously though, I assume you're referring to low-rez sprite based images. A good designer can throw out enough detail to get something small and recognizable. I don't think that's a problem. I'm not afraid to tackle anything. I can draw it, model it, texture it....whatever is needed. But that's a wide-open subject: You might need tiny 2-D sprites or full blown low-poly models for an OpenGL engine. Maybe you need illlustrations to use as bitmaps for a card-game? Good design is just that....good design across the board for whatever is needed.

6. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Give me a month or two and I might have use of your skills. Of course, that's assuming I can ever get ahold of a Mac so I can start some iPhone development. It seems like just the challenge I need to get back into programming outside of the dull stuff I do at work. Only problem is, I don't think I can afford your rates :rolleyes:

7. Nightmoore

Nightmoore Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Freelance Artist
    Nashville, TN
    Oh, seriously....ignore those rates. This is a new direction I want to explore. I would gladly work out a deal with a programmer or even some type of profit sharing if the project seemed strong enough. Those prices are set for web design and print work for the most part.

8. A few suggestions

* You could find an existing app with terrible graphics, then contact the developer directly asking if they would like to work together.

* You could take the screenshots from an existing app, and give it a makeover, to give people an idea of your style as it applies to the iphone.

* You could make some of your low resolution art, and low polygon 3D stuff available, for similar reasons above

* If you have an intel based Mac, you can download XCode and the iPhone SDK for free, and make mock up screens in interface builder. This is maybe more appropriate if you want to design apps with the iPhone "look and feel"

9. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I was being a bit sarcastic (guess I need to make a bigger rolly-eyed face next time!) I figured that's what you were after, but like I said, at the moment it doesn't matter for me because I don't have a blasted Mac. I would fall in love with the one portable platform I can't program on my PC :mad: