Need help trying to remember a game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by walmartpolice, May 19, 2018.

1. walmartpolice

walmartpolice Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    It was released a year or two ago.
    I think there was a PC release.

It was a side scrolling SHMUP with a whole bunch of levels.
    The graphics were kind of like that weird old timey PC with the pinks and the blues and the greens.
    You started on a world in the center and branched out from there. At first the levels were easy but as you branched out, the levels would become more difficult as the threat level would rise.
    You could either buy temporary upgrades for really cheap or save up and buy permanent upgrades that would stick with you as you progressed.

You would get emails from people as you played, talking about the home planet and your endeavors.

Please, any help would be appreciated or PM would be great too.

2. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #2 Gwarmaxx, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018

Z-Exemplar

edit > great game, but unfortunately pulled from the appstore.

3. Jean pierre

Jean pierre Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2017
    I do love this game. once again a game silently removed from my purchased list by Apple.
    Am I the only one to realize that we can't backup our paid games since iTunes 12.7 ?
    A pure rip-off. Shame on you Apple!, you are repelling your faith customers. No wonder that more and more devs are migrating to the Switch platform. Apple, if you hear me, please stop it and respect us.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    And how do you back up your Switch games?

5. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #5 Gwarmaxx, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018

i don't have a Switch so i don't know if a back up of a game can be made, but agree that sometimes Apple policies and choices are disgusting and counterproductive!!!

in my case i'm going to think 10 times before buy a premium game if i can't download it on my pc (to be sure in case of a pull or a bugged update) and play it next week/month/year... and same thing for price drops, i use to download them on my PC and play'em later when those i'm currently playing are completed and deleted.

6. Jean pierre

Jean pierre Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2017
    On the switch I prefer to buy physical card games. Sometimes I buy digital games on the eshop only if the size of the download is small.
    There is no way to backup them outside of the switch (unfortunately). I don't think that Nintendo will remove silently without notice the games as Apple do.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Blame the cheapskates. If we all buy the games and the dev gets lots of sales he’ll improve the game and renew his license. Sadly not enough sales and the devs will give up

Don’t blame Apple blame ‘us’ for not giving him enough sales or people waiting for price drops

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    On the Switch, most indie games are available only digitally — certainly anything that’s less than $20 won’t have a physical release.

Also, Apple doesn’t “silently remove games without notice”: it’s the developer or publisher who chooses to pull out of the Apple Developer Program. (And something like the 64-bit massacre, which was Apple’s choice, they gave people plenty of warning). Games disappear from all digital services, usually for licensing reasons. Famously, the highly regarded PT promo vanished from the Playstation Store when Konami decided to cancel the new Silent Hill game. And even though is not quite the same thing, all those folk who thought their virtual console games would carry over from their Wii U’s and 3DS to their new Switches just got the big middle finger from Nintendo.

Ultimately, I have to agree with psj: the problem is lack of sales and the race to the pricing bottom. Apple could certainly do more to improve the premium market, but it’s up to us to support the kinds of games we want to see in the App Store.

9. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #9 Gwarmaxx, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018

i understand your point and partially agree with you (i'll never going to buy every issue only to avoid devs give up and a pull from the store, that's ridiculous :D, i'm not rich and have also other responsibilities in my life), and in any case it has nothing to do with my post above (the pull issue was an example), the only valid truth is that i PAY and i WANT my ipa file, clear as water... i'm not a "great A" worshipper nor their "defense attorney", so if they take some shitty decision, i think it must be said.

according to you, what's the reason for not allowing the .ipa download anymore???
    and i.e. the reason to remove the appstore wishlist??? :D

anyway, be sure that a lot of people will think twice before buy a premium game without having nothing physical in return... i'm one of them, sorry.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    But he honest. We know if we buy an app from the App Store there’s always a chance it’ll get pulled and we can’t get the app back even from past purchases.

I do wish it was like the old days where you can back up the IPA. Doesn’t that still work with transfer purchases ?

I want to get a new iPhone but I know when I restore my backup it won’t be able to find a chunk of favourite games as they aren’t around on the App Store anymore which is frustrating. One reason I’m hesitant to buy another phone and give that chunk of money to Apple

Last time I restored on a new phone it couldn’t find a fair few games

11. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    didn't you have the ipa back ups?

with iFunbox is easy to reinstall them (easier than iTunes), and even roll back a version in case of i.e. a bugged update or a new update with ads/IAPs, without delete the actual install and lose your progress in the game... but to do that you need always your previous ipa back up.