Need help transferring data

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by LBG, Sep 23, 2010.

1. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    A couple days ago my old computer completely died and I've just bought a new one. Most of my photos, music and apps from iTunes are on my iPhone and that's the only place they currently exist.
    What I need to do is transfer the stuff on my iPhone to my new computer, but iTunes would delete it if I sync it, right?

The apps shouldn't be a problem because it will ask me if I want to transfer apps from my iPhone. I can always download them from iTunes again. But the save data must be kept.

My music library contains purchased songs from iTunes (which can be downloaded again) but also songs that I downloaded from the Internet. These would be deleted if I synced? Correct?

And there's also my photos and videos (probably most important because they can't be replaced). I need to transfer them to my computer somehow, but if I synced my iPhone I think they would just be deleted.

Should I use SSH to transfer my data? Is there any other way, maybe an app on cydia or something?

Any help is appreciated,

2. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Use Pod to PC to transfer all of your music to your computer. The apps can be xfered over as well, but as far as the pictures go I am not sure as I didn't use them much and did't care if they were lost. Hope this helps even a tad.

3. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    That helps a lot. Thanks.

4. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    No problem man!

5. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    #5 Outkast1, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
    For the pictures, plug in your iPhone but don't sync - don't even have iTunes open to be safe. Unless it syncs automatically upon plugging in... then I'm not sure exactly what you should do.

You should be able to access the iPhone from your computer as a camera. Depending if you have a PC or Mac it may be a little different but in either case you should be able to at least manually move the photos/videos from iPhone to computer.

Edit: so I just plugged my iPhone 4 into my PC (windows 7) and a little popup comes up asking if I want to "import pictures and videos". Obviously this would be an automatic process but if you want to do it manually open a Windows explorer folder, go to "Computer" and it should show your iPhone listed as a digital camera. You can open it up and manually copy each photo and video to your computer.

I don't have my Mac in front of me because I'm at work but it's pretty much the same process, just open a finder folder and your iphone should be listed as a device on the left-hand side.