Need help picking a processor for my new laptop!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Monopoly, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Monopoly

Monopoly Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Im going to get a new AsusW90vp-A1 :) but I cant decide what processor to get.

Im choosing between:
    Intel Q9000 2.00 GHz Quad Core 1066FSB 6MB 45nm 45W
    Intel Core 2 Duo T9800 2.93 GHz 6MB 1066 FSB 45nm 35W : $609
    Intel Q9100 Core 2 Quad 2.26 GHz 1066FSB 12MB 45nm 45W: $939

Going between the Q900 and the T9800 is no problem, and If the Q9100 is signifigantly better than the T9800 i could spring for that.

I need to know which is better Q9000 vs T9800 and T9800 vs Q9100

My primary uses are going to be schoolwork (lol), gaming, and movies (maybe a little bit of editing here and there).

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

For what you're spending on that laptop you can buy both a laptop which will be much better at being a mobile computer and a decent desktop for gaming.

For your laptop, the HP netbooks are absolutely phenomenal. A friend of mine just bought one, and for $400 what you can get is insane. Their keyboards are full sized and excellent for taking notes, also thanks to the Intel Atom processors they last FOREVER on batteries. Also they weigh barely more than 2 pounds.

For your desktop, follow this guide- http://arstechnica.com/hardware/guides/2009/04/ars-technica-system-guide-april-2009-edition.ars

Buying a high-end laptop is the biggest computing mistake you'll ever make. But, everyone has to do it once to learn this it seems. You will be much, much better off having a highly portable computer and a powerful machine for gaming and doing other things that all laptops generally suck at.

3. Monopoly

Dec 12, 2008
    Im really not going to be all that interested in moving my laptop more than maybe 1 or times a week....if that. Its primarly going to be stationary inthe dorm room and I just dont see the point in getting a desktop for college as it will be a hassle to transport to and from home. A desktop is also completely stationary in the room which is inconvienet if I do want to go somewhere and use a computer for something other than word/email

4. SomeRandomGuy18

SomeRandomGuy18 Active Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Here's a better idea:

Buy a Gateway p7805u.

They are amazing value for the money.

A 9800M GTS 1GB and a dual core processor for just $1000. Great for gaming. It's what I have. :D

But of course, it depends on your budget. I don't think the Q9100 would provide significantly more performance. You're better off with a graphics card upgrade, if one's available.

5. Monopoly

Dec 12, 2008
    Im pretty much deadset on the Asus, it has everything I need/want and 2 of the best graphic cards out there :) Im telling you its benchmarks are incrediable...Crysis at 30fps!

All im waiting on to buy this thing is a decision on the dual v quad debate

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Get the most expensive one you can, it will be good for you in the long run. ;)

7. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Why would you not just get a gaming desktop and a Macbook?

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Every college freshman needs to learn this lesson on their own.

9. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Right. I never understood computer gaming. Get a dedicated console.