Universal Need for Speed™ No Limits (by Electronic Arts)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jan 6, 2015.

1. jon427

jon427 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    QA Tester/ Business Analyst
    California
    Haha I know what you mean. I bought the 30 day gold pack last night and wondered "would I really be playing this still in 30 days" the grind is endless #. Haha

2. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Yeah. They managed to land it right at the end of the Razr special event for me, when I still believed that 570 gold would buy a stack of blueprints for something interesting. More fool me!

Checked in twice today, and ran no races on the "OMG I'd rather boil my face in a sack of sticky custard" principle. I suspect this is the beginning of the end of my nfs f2p involvement.

Bright side: will free up 1.2gb on the phone :thumbs:

3. easydoesit123

easydoesit123 New Member

Nov 6, 2015
    #523 easydoesit123, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    Ok, this is weird - in the 'Brawn vs Brains' series my BMW M4 F82 (Razor) is showing as 758PR on the car select screen but then only 493PR in the races (currently at chapter 2 race 4). Is anyone else having the same issue?

Edit: force reset the game and loaded up again - bug solved.

4. jon427

jon427 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    QA Tester/ Business Analyst
    California
    Well I bought 3 snoop dog crates and got a 3 and two 5 blueprints which was enough to upgrade my car to level 3 with some extra.

5. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    #525 Quoad, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
    Woooooowwwww, saw the post about special crates, went to have a look given that's what I was saving gold for.

Ok, only snoop. Again.

Buy eight crates. 33, takes me up to 3 blueprints off fully upgraded. LOL.

OK, I've got 262 gold. Grind 8 from daily tasks.

Buy three special crates.

First contains 2 blueprints.

The second and third contain green street parts.

As in, lolwut?! How the hell does that even happen, in a guaranteed crate spree? First seventeen (of nineteen) crates that I open, multi blueprint snoop packs. The seventeenth happens to be the only one to yield <3, but there you go.

The eighteenth and nineteenth BY SHEER COINCIDENCE yield green parts, leaving me ONE SHORT of a fully upgraded car.

Total joke.

Edit: and let me just repeat that, green street parts from special crates, 90 gold each (in effect). Green street parts. That is first rate, intentionally insulting programming. As in, wow. Why not just give me a token towards a grey part, and two thirds of a fiesta blueprint and have done with it, ay? :D

6. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
  7. BulkSlash

BulkSlash Active Member

Is anyone else having trouble getting the game to load? I can't get past the loading screen with the spinning orange circle. It's been like this since yesterday morning. :(

8. Lord XIII

Lord XIII Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    #528 Lord XIII, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
    ... Bravo, you just made me unsure of what to feel.
    I dunno if I should feel bad for you not getting the final blueprint, angry at EA for pulling out something like that, or just laugh at this (not) glorious tease (or all of the above).

9. ddw04

ddw04 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    It's not as bad as people claim it to be, leveling up is easy, and each lvl up u get your fuel refilled. Every so often u get free parts, daily challenges earn u gold, leveling up give u gold as well so yea not bad not great but not bad

10. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Just you wait. You will come to understand why THERE ARE NO LIMITSSSSS.

11. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    And are you finding the races challenging...? ;)

I find it fascinating that it's possible to review a "racing" game, whilst needing to make no reference whatsoever to the "car driving" bit of it.

That, to me, is where it came unstuck. *Why* do I want a faster car? To let it race itself 95% of the time, and plod through races where I'm massacring the opposition the other 5%...? The bits I was plodding through were the races. The bits that were exciting were the RNG. Yuck.

It's a damned good fruit machine game in disguise. But a racing game, it ain't.

12. ddw04

ddw04 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Idc if they are challenging or not as long as I'm having fun

13. Cheesenium

Cheesenium Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Just you wait. The game literally grind to a halt after a certain point where it is almost impossible to progress without paying a lot of money for gold.

14. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    #534 Quoad, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    I think what it does well is all the spangly bits that create compulsive button pushing. It's superb at bright shiny lights, and excels at intermittent reinforcement - *sometimes* giving you a reward for, well, doing not much but firing up the game and pressing a few buttons. As Skinner, the founding father of modern psychology, noted - rats press buttons for far longer when the food stops coming, if the food was only arriving irregularly (every second, third, fifth... button push) before it stopped.

What's ground me down is a feeling that there is just about nothing more than this mechanic to this particular NFS. Intermittent rewards allowed me to get more shiny lights, by building and rebuilding parts.

But there's almost no content beyond that - if played well, races just shouldn't be a challenge. Indeed, the sole point of the sparkly bits is to make the races unchallenging. The whole point of easydrive is that you don't even need to race in order to get the sparklies. And their intermittent rewards.

It's a rat trap of presentation (with no underlying content / gameplay) that is all about superficiality.

Which, tbh, was keeping me adequately engaged (if slightly agonised about the complete futility of it all) until I hit the "oh em gee what am I actually doing with my life by playing this" wall. Which, uncoincidentally, coincided with increasingly intermittent rewards.

It's undeniably great game design, in terms of paying tribute to good old rat conditioning mechanics, superbly translated into gameplay.

But it's all... just so pointless. In ways that most games I can think of (including all its precursors, which DID involve some challenge, progression, content and skills) just weren't.

This is obv my navel gazing interpretation of it all. And I clearly enjoyed it for a fair while.

So if it is posting your buttons (as you push its), then enjoy, ay. Long may it continue :thumbs:

15. frownface

frownface Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well said Quoad.

I am actually unsure why I enjoy this game, pretty sure I just like collecting and building things.

Currently 56 (chapter 13) after a week's holiday and not much playtime, there's not much I can do at this point but grind out blueprints. I have plenty of blue/purple/gold parts to install, and plenty of relays and springs now but nothing to put them into without grinding more BPs

I also have enough series unlocked to probably level me up past 65, but it's a bit pointless as chapter 14 progression is blocked with high pr requirements (i've read that by mid chap 14, you need a 780+ pr car to continue) which I won't have till i grind out another 50 GTR blueprints. Which at my 3 a day runrate is another fortnight away.

16. ddw04

ddw04 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    I understood a quarter of that.....

17. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Exactly all that! I pushed buttons for way too long, enjoyable to a point, but at the same time.. Not really. I have since deleted.

18. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    #538 Quoad, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    The iPhone port of This War of Mine has finally landed in the UK.

It's deleting this, or another big game. Banner saga, implosion, XCOM, Deathwatch....

Nope :D Can't do it.

Toodle-oo, NFS. Any chance of a refund on those three remaining weeks of my gold card? (Dammit :D)

Edit: it is *painful* deleting this many hours of invested time! Bastards! :D

19. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Tbf, chap, the only important thing about gaming is that you're enjoying it. Everything that I posted is completely irrelevant bollocks so long as, well, you're enjoying it.

So long may your enjoyment - and that of many others - last :thumbs:

20. frownface

frownface Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    The game slows down considerably after level 30 when it takes 5 levels in between chapters, also once series start costing 3 fuel each.

You hit a complete wall altogether after 60 where you get PR locked out of proceeding until you have a 780+ PR car. To which the only way to acheive it is a shelby with lots of epics, or a stage 6 R35 GTR, both of which will require an ungodly amount of farming. One guy on reddit has been farming for a month now and still hasn't achieved it.

Level on the other hand, you can continue levelling up via series, but it's the chapter that will bottle neck you.
    Also i've read that the chapter 14 boss's viper has ~830PR, GL with that!