Universal Need for Speed™ No Limits (by Electronic Arts)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jan 6, 2015.

1. BulkSlash

BulkSlash Active Member

The game starts out OK, but like all F2P games eventually the timers and cooldowns catch up to you and you have to start spending money if you actually want to play the game for more than a few minutes at a time. I wonder how much the devs must hate themselves to be making great games and then ruining them by inserting "monetization" for EA?

2. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Firemonkey: the once-great face of now-mercenary race based gaming.

For me, the point at which they dumped RR3's intricate, interesting, in-race damage system (which discouraged aggressive hammering tactics) in favour of a sloppy mess of IAP-favouring bogwash was the moment they turned from the awesome devs of RR2 into a warm heap of flaccid, noxious turd.

Ftr, I utterly loved most of the previous nfs games. I paid for the £3.99 intro offer, and am still running (comfortably) on it.

But, by God, the sheer joy of the previous instalments was learning tracks. And their shortcuts.

Here, it's a bucket of wtf?! Two hundred thirteen-second tracks, each of which grinds down your timers.

Blench.

3. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    It's a sad state of affairs, imo, when it appears that a dev's sole life ambition can be to deliver a game mechanic that stands a 3.6% better chance of gouging 79 pence out of an average twelve year old.

[/cynic]

4. CoreyFox

CoreyFox Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2015
    #264 CoreyFox, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    Look at the success of games like CSR racing.. I believe the dev's may have noticed that there is a market for 13 second races..

5. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

This is one of those games where your spending more time in the menu than the actual game.

6. Ragn4rok 74

Ragn4rok 74 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2014
    What free games are you playing?

7. Ragn4rok 74

Ragn4rok 74 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2014
    I had thought about trying this but based on reading countless reviews I don't think I will. Far too freemium for me. Besides, you make a really good point.

8. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Marvel Future Fight
    Final Fantasy Record Keeper
    Need for Speed No Limit
    Real Racing 3
    Simcity Buildit
    Fallout Shelter

Those are the ones I tend to hit up and do my daily things to each day. All are completely accessable without dropping a dime so long as one is patient. Each of those games may not be the premium wishful thinking that alot of folks want, but that dosen't mean their bad by any means. It just means their not for everyone.

9. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Well damn me, I wanted to come here and rant about how this game is all: tap left, swipe up, blah, blah... However, I'm actually digging this. I haven't spent a dime yet (although I plan to now) and played for the past two hours, solid.

10. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Fun game, enjoying it as well. Not a big fan of most iap options but the 3 dollar 30 day allowance system, I like it when games have this. Means I can earn real money currency throughout the month for a tiny investment and walk away after 30 days if I'm not still entertained... without my wallet feeling light :)

11. Anonomation

Installing Horizon Chase...

12. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    I'm downloading now, and I'll give it a try, but I am pretty sure the idiotic gas timer will drive me right back to Aspalt 8.

13. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Theyre ridiculously different games, they targeted towards different audiences.

14. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    That's the one I'm planning, 50 gold bars a day for 30 days. That's pretty cheap gratification in the grand scheme of things ;)

15. islesfan

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    The only FTP games I play are Marvel War of Heroes (I started on that right at the beginning), Asphalt 8 (which wasn't free when I got it) and GT Racing 2. At least with the two Gameloft titles, I can play all I want without ever hitting a limit. I'd rather they be premium games, but at least they are games, not ATMs for developers.

16. islesfan

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    I guess I'll see when it downloads. It amazes me that I have 60 Mbps download speed right now and a 650 Mb game will still take twenty minutes to download.

17. islesfan

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    It looks beautiful. Unfortunately, the races are tiny and mostly straight. The touch controls are awful, but I was able to switch to tilt when my wife called me during a race (apparently that's how you access the options menu). The super simple races and the fuel timers, well, it's already deleted. Time to go play some Apshalt. Thanks for destroying another franchise EA.

18. Anonomation

Let us remember that the full console version of Most Wanted was ported onto a lower spec device 3 years ago.

19. Anonomation

Why the hell did this get 8/10 from Pocket Gamer?

20. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    I knew I'd come into this thread and see a ton of hate for the timers.....let's be honest, it's just what's expected in the TA forums ;) With that said, I have hit the timer wall, I am starting to have to grind to get even one more race that I can qualify for, yet I'm ok with it. Between this, Marvel FF and Spiderman Unlimited, I've got enough to pass the time. I haven't reached lvl 15 yet, which opens up tournaments, and it looks like a Snoop Dog (say what?) tourney is coming in 4 days. We'll see.....those 2 alone could be the thing that keeps this game fresh. I like what I've played so far, even if I'm about as far removed from liking timers and F2P games as one can be. If done right, this game may have the leg (like the other 2 afformentioned games) to stay on my phone. And the monthly IAP was a smart move. It works in Marvel FF really well, and I can see it working here....I just want tobplay a bit more to make sure the gold currency is worth investing in.