Universal Need for Speed™ Most Wanted - (by EA) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 29, 2012.

1. ssahnan

ssahnan Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    We just don't get quality racers much on ios anymore so for me this is a no brainer. To be able to purchase a game that is not an endless runner or some severely hampered freemium crap is going to be refreshing.

Should be a nice fall for race fans with real racing 3 still coming as well.

2. bamloki

bamloki Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Paramedic
    Graz, Austria
    Does it support the retina display on the old new iPad? ;)

3. _syd

_syd Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Italy
    Does this game have a "single race" mode or just story mode with events in it?

4. Firetruck94

Firetruck94 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    on mars
    ikr? i find it hard to believe that 3g is supported too.

5. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Does this have multiplayer?

Edit: Guess not, doesn't say it in description

6. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I read that it doesn't have online multiplayer somewhere in this thread, not sure about local MP...

iPod Touch 4 gameplay coming later today btw! :)

7. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    My only hesitation (Oh! The dreaded H word!) is to what extent is the game a remake of NFS Undercover and Hot Pursuit? Is there new on offer here or is this an upgraded version, in essence, of the earlier games? Asphalt feels much the same way - with the versions offering mostly the same event types and the game having the same vibe but the experience is upgraded with each time.

8. spleen

spleen Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Australia
    #68 spleen, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
    http://www.abload.de/img/big4r0fpe.jpg posted by Sanuku seems to show the 3d parts of the game are pixel-doubled for retina while the HUD is retina, so not really. The appstore page images are proper retina, but maybe that's only for the new new iPad. :confused:

Curiously the HUD in the appstore preview images isn't retina while the 3d parts are...for comparisson.

9. ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    I don't think it's too surprising. A game like this has probably been in development for a year or more. So when it started the iPhone 4S was probably just announced, the iPhone 3GS was still going to be sold for another year, and rumours were even after the iPhone 5 is released (still a year away) the iPhone 3GS would keep selling as a low-cost pre-paid phone. So supporting the iPhone 3GS was a good idea since there would be plenty of new owners.

10. tognesimo

tognesimo Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Stop supporting 3GS it's an old device! Hardcore games should be only on Iphone 4S or Iphone 5!!O rmake a config for every Iphone!

11. Mr. Anon

Mr. Anon Well-Known Member

May 31, 2011
    Going to school
    East Coast, USA
    #71 Mr. Anon, Oct 29, 2012
    Ok cool. That's good. What I was referring to was in that pic of you drifting, toward the bottom, looks like the frames slowed down. Is that just bc of you taking a pic, or is that noticeable?

[​IMG]

That's the pic

12. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Really dude geez maybe people can't throw down cash every year for a different iPhone.

13. Der-Kleine

iPod Touch 4 performance update: The game runs 100% smoothly 95% of the time!

However some of the graphical effects are obviously missing, for example:
    - No motion blur, although you won't notice that too much while playing, becuse the terrible ground texture quality makes it look blurred anyway.
    - Cars only reflect the skybox, not the entire level, however this at least doesn't only apply to your car (enemy racers also have the same basic reflection)
    -as far as I can see the only visable damage to the car is the windscreen cracking.

14. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Are the cars empty? Has anyone of the early adopters seen any ''driver'' inside?

15. Der-Kleine

#75 Der-Kleine, Oct 29, 2012
    There are drivers inside the cars, but they're using some kind of a stealth system that makes them invisible. :p

Also: small update: the bumpers fall off as well on iPod Touch 4s, just like in Real Racing 2. Like, literally, it looks EXACTLY THE SAME.

16. Deixa

Deixa Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Do one

17. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    So my guess touch 4 users stick to real racing 2?

18. ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    The thing is, hardcore gamers are going to buy these types of top-end games regardless. Restricting them to the latest devices isn't going to encourage significantly more hardcore gamers to buy the game. It'll just eliminate half the possible iOS user-base from buying the game. Rather than ensuring better graphics, requiring an iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 would cut into profit margins which may make investing in high-end graphics unaffordable.

And there are already different configurations for every device. The game on iPhone 5 will look very different and better than on an iPhone 3GS. They are just all included in a single universal app. There's no sense in selling a separate app for every device. It's pretty safe to assume FireMonkey are good programmers and a well-written engine should be very scalable, able to support older devices without holding newer devices back.

I don't doubt high-end games that are starting development now are going to require A5-devices, but they are going to be released next year at which point even the A5 won't be so new anymore and most iOS users would be using A5 and up devices.

19. Der-Kleine

Alright, here are some iPod Touch 4 screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    can anyone confirm if this has local multiplayer via Bluetooth or WiFi? I play multiplayer a lot in Hot Pursuit, so this is important to me.

But anyways...the game looks damn exciting! :D