Need catagories recommending.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by gazjm, May 17, 2011.

1. gazjm

gazjm Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Network Consultant
    Warrington, England
    Hi, I am in the final 3rd of a new iPhone / iPad game. It is based on the concept of the old missile command arcade game, but with a cartoony / character theme.

Im not ready to show pics yet, but just wondering what categories people think a missile command style game should go?

I think arcade is one, but can't decide between action, strategy, puzzle or kids. Kids is because of the cartoon look, but not sure if missile command gameplay is suited for kids.

Thanks

2. Aruki

Aruki Active Member

May 10, 2011
    Game Designer
    Madrid
    I have little experience within the appstore. But im guessing that the most categories you put in your game , the more visible it becomes for customers, just a thought.....

3. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    I'd go with arcade and action. If the design is very cartoony maybe with kids, but certainly not with strategy or puzzle. I think the categorie only matters if someone decides to browse a list of categories. And if someone is looking for a puzzle game, they won't buy something where you have to deal with missiles and explosives.

You can only choose 2 categories. A main and a secondary one.

4. Astraware

Astraware Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Games Studio
    UK
    If it's any help, I did some analysis a while back and the busiest game categories were Action and Arcade, so whilst you can appear in new releases there, your game will disappear off the front page of new releases much more quickly, so you'll need to have plenty of other marketing options to keep your game visible in the first few days. You can't rely on the App Store for that. That said, most of the categories are so busy now that you slip off the front page of new releases within 1-2 days anyway.

The question to ask yourself is "if I was a customer, where would I look for this type of game?"

5. gazjm

gazjm Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Network Consultant
    Warrington, England
    Thanks for the responses! I think the action and arcade would be best, but I might substitute on of them for family instead, just because it isn't as popular and may be visible for longer. It's a shame they only let you pick 2.