iPad NavyClient - Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PointOfLight, Feb 25, 2009.

1. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Ran across this new item in the AppStore: NavyClient. Can anyone shed some light on this? The language listed is English, yet the only text in the screen shots that is English is the word NPC. I went to the web site, but that's not English either. I'm guessing that it's some sort of RPG, but even with a free price tag I don't want to bother if I'm not going to understand it.

2. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    DL'ing right now. Will let you know tomorrow (another one of the "past page 9" apps I have on my iTouch :()

3. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Well aren't you a busy little bee tonight? Sorry that you end up being the guinea pig for all the stuff I'm curious about :eek:

4. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    I'll go out on a limb and say that it's a navigation game. ^ ^

5. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    It doesn't look bad for free. Too bad the devs didn't think to use English on their website, though..

6. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Okay...a little late, but, as promised, something of a review:

It's not in English, first off.

It seems to be an RPG. You start off in a port where there are shops for weapons, boats, etc. But I can't enter them. Took me a while to even figure out the controls. Seems to be tap relative (tap on the bottom of the screen to go down, left for left, right for right, up for up). Animation is somewhat choppy when walking. You also have the option of pressing onto wherever you wish to go, and the game will attempt to automatically move your character (who for some reason is a woman in a dress) to that area. So if you tap on a character that you want to speak to, your character will automatically walk up to them.

Leaving the port is handled by tapping on the pier, and then you will begin sailing.

Here's where I got hyped on the game. The sailing gave me thoughts that this would be a game like Pirates!.

Then reality set. Go near another ship (and there are tons of ships in the open waters, but none seem to be going any particular direction, tbqh) and nothing happens.

So I tried sailing to another port. I crept along the shoreline. Crept. The ship movement is slow as hell, which is odd as those other ships are moving to and fro much faster. Maybe they have faster ships or better sailing equipment. Hey, maybe they're the ones who bought all the stuff in that port, and that's why I couldn't even get in the damned ship store. Who knows?

Regardless, I sailed on to another port. WTF? These are the same people from the last port. Still can't go into the shops. So I leave. Sail to another port. Same deal. Okay...this is now like a freaky episode of The Twilight Zone.

So I hightail it east, onto the open waters. Maybe another land will find different people and shops I can actually enter. WTF? There's a black border and I can't go past. Seems Columbus' shipmates were right: sail too far, meet the edge of the world. I go in the opposite direction, back around the original land shore. Hmmm. No land to the east of it, but to the west, another land. Stop at a port in this new land.

The same friggin' people and the same friggin' shops that I can't enter.

:mad:

Once again, I leave and sail around the edge of the shore of this new land. What is on the other side, to the far west? Not a black border that I can't pass. Nope. I sail on, but the screen doesn't follow. I disappear off the edge. Can still see my ships name, though, but until I press right for a bit my ship won't be visible. Where has my ship gone? Probably to those hidden pages past #9 that Apple won't let us use that a few of my apps are hiding within.

End result?

I dunno.

Not in English, and I don't know what to do. Seems like it'd be a kick ass rendition of Pirates!...but it doesn't seem to be that at all. I dunno what the hell it is, but I sure as hell deleted it off my iTouch.

7. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Thank you for the insight. It's too bad, because the screen shots do look really good. It's also annoying when the language section in the App Store says English and the game isn't. Oh well.

8. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Yeah...maybe there's a menu of which I'm unaware. The game doesn't even have a "start" screen. It starts in the port that you see in the screenshots.

The bad thing is I don't know what the game is about nor do I care at this point.

The good thing is that this has gotten my hopes up that someone at some point will make a game like Sid Meier's Pirates! on this platform...or whoever has the rights to that game will port it over.

9. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Humorous review, but a shame all the same.

10. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    @Spiffy...
    Best review ever! LoL... Columbus was right...:p