iPad Nanosaur's update is okay but...

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vende, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    The game is still a bit unplayable - it's just too hard and this kind of flying game with all those obstacles make the accelerometer unpleasant to use. When Bugdom 2 got a D-pad, the entire game completely changed. 100 percent. If Pangea would just install a D-pad on this, I think that this could be a top seller since as it is right now, the graphics are still top notch and you get to be a laser shooting dinosaur!

2. Silver Orange

Silver Orange Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    California
    Ya, this game never really appealed to me after I bought it. I almost never play the game.

3. gcl

gcl Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    pterydactyl hamburger

it's sad with so much graphics and good production, but I too rarely play as my 3 lives keep crashing into objects and bursting into chunks of dinosaur flesh. Like antimatter, a pretty and beautiful waste of 99 cents.

4. mrWalrus

mrWalrus Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    designing games
    Venice, CA
    #4 mrWalrus, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
    I'm just going to go out and say it. Billy Frontier left a real awful taste in my mouth too. No offense to anyone but Pangea isn't that hot of a developer.

Their games play like they are created by a bunch of programmers (any devs out there should know what I mean..). What they need is a good designer to come in and right the ship because they are obviously able to get stuff out. Now they just need to make it playable/enjoyable.

5. yankjenets

yankjenets Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    It plays like a bunch of ports that would be good on a computer, but simply too much going on or bad controls on an iDevice. That being said, Enigmo is one of my favorite games :)

6. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I 100% agree that I'd finally be able to play with a d-pad, or better yet a virtual joystick. The game itself is beautifully rendered and framerte is superb!:)

7. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    their games were great on a mac, but trying to put huge control sensitive games on to an iPhone isn't their strong suit. I think Nanosaur needs to have a control scheme like BIA. Joypad for movement, swipe anywhere for view, and fire button.

8. tadad1

tadad1 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Uranus
    Was one of the first games I purchased last year when I got my touch and personally I loved it and thought the accelerometer controls were spot on especially with the one touch calibration button. It's actually one of the handful of games I have enjoyed enough to complete and I still dust it off every update and give it another run.

9. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I disagree. This game needs the accelerometer controls to be tweaked, sure, but a d-pad would, IMHO, ruin the gameplay. It'd be...too easy for one, and would run counter to the basic idea behind the game (flying).

Bugdom needed a d-pad because the accelerometer movement was wonky and tied into the camera system. You had to constantly tap the little "calibrate" icon on the screen to get the camera centered behind the character.

With Nanosaur 2, the camera is tethered behind the back. It doesn't move, there's no need to constantly press calibrate to get it centered behind the character, etc. So the issue of the accelerometer isn't tied to camera as it was with Bugdom 2 (and you'll notice that with the "dpad" controls the camera in that game is more tethered to the character than it was originally). The issue with Nanosaur 2 is that the accelerometer controls are not as tight as they need be, and the level design is such that it makes it difficult to dodge trees in some spots. Tweaking the sensitivity of the accelerometer should alleviate this, as well as tweaks to level design (removing some obstacles).

But an onscreen dpad is NOT the way to go in this game. I just wouldn't see the appeal to the game at that point. I like the idea of flying as a flying dinosaur using motion sensing. I don't like the idea of pressing a dpad to do the same. Especially Pangea's type of dpad that takes unnecessary screen real estate (more devs should take the example of Dropship, IMHO, and let the "pad" disappear when not in use).

10. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    And, btw, it isn't lost on me that a few posting here complaining about the accelerometer are the same ones that prefer touch controls in most other games, even racers.

Just sayin'....

11. SuperPaperSam

SuperPaperSam Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    i like the update but i still want more health or lives i always crash into the ground when trying to pick up the darn eggs!

12. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I can't think of a more frustrating game than Nanosaur. I mean, I want to like it so badly. It really does mirror other consoles' games in terms of graphical quality and potential awesomeness, but the gameplay is just so damn hard. I don't understand why Pangea would release the game like this - they've surely played it and can see how hard it is to use.

I don't think the game is "lost" either. It could still be a huge seller (provided Pangea knocks off that price changing crap - this is a 4 dollar game with a dpad. enough with the changes). I honestly think it's graphics are as close to the best on the iphone as anything else, and the premise works. So why would they just update BugDom and not this? I don't get it.

13. SuperPaperSam

SuperPaperSam Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    I still cant beat the first lvl they need to make it easyer to find the freakin eggs and give you like 10x the health (if you saw me drive you know i crash into everything) or just make it so crashing into stuff does not hurt as much!

Edit: but i only payed .99 when it came out and was on sale so im not too mad

14. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Again, Vende...this game doesn't NEED a dpad. A dpad would completely ruin the idea behind the game and completely ruin what little difficulty it has.

"Hard"?

Too "hard"?

This game is friggin' easy as is! Come to grips with the accelerometer (though I agree that it could use sensitivity tweaking and some better level design) and the game is cake.

I'm sorry...I don't want my games dumbed down because some folk don't understand the idea behind SLIGHT movements with the accelerometer.

15. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I agree, I always have loved this game and never found it to difficult....actually the learning curve was an enjoyable process, and extra guys wern't nessesary to complete the game.

16. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I agree with you spiffyone....100%

17. gootch12

gootch12 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    New Orleans, USA
    I hadn't played Nanosaur in months.

New update, so I figured I'd give it another whirl. The textures DO look better (I think, like I said, it's been a couple of months.)

I've always loved flying that dino with the accelerometer controls, never understood the complaints.

Flying into trees is a grill. So hey, avoid the trees! :D

Got through the first level on the first launch after I installed the update.

Good fun.

The game is not that hard. As stated above...remember folks...small movements.

18. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    i don't like pangea's games either. they have nice graphics but honestly their games are some of the worst i've gotten (that's just my opinion)

19. carlo

carlo Well-Known Member

I Personaly agree too on the "accelerometer" thing :)

20. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I love the graphics. This game is a role model to devs. The animation are smooth, the laser looks awesome, the wings flap realistically whether you're just flying, diving, or ascending.

The controls are nearly perfect. It's a joy just to fly the pterodactyl. It;s actually fun. I like kinda skimming the ground and... it's just awesome. Adding a D-Pad would be like adding a D-Pad to Fastlane.

The gameplay is f***ing atrocious. I mean, there are like 9 eggs, and in such a big environment where everything looks the same, they can be hard to find. Plus, everytime you finish a level, YOU GET STUCK WITH THE SAME NUMBER OF LIVES! What the hell? I finished level 1 with one live left. What does that say about how I'm gonna do on level 2?

But, I did get it at 99c, so I kinda think of it as a tech demo.