iPad Nano Rally is OUT

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eggzbacon, Jul 25, 2009.

1. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    #1 eggzbacon, Jul 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. eggzbacon

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
  3. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    oops, "Breaks" should be spelled "Brakes" under the car stats

4. Walrusaurus

Walrusaurus Active Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Someone post some first impressions? Looks pretty good.

5. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    bought it!!!!

6. eggzbacon

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Is it good?

7. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I kept an eye on this one since the upcoming thread and it looks great.

I'll wait for some hands on impressions though

8. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  9. zrgrvsh

zrgrvsh Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Studend
    Germany
    I really like the graphics and the tracks, i drove the 4 tracks of the kitchen in the championship two times now and didn't had much trouble finding the right way. The controlls are fitting good i think, even though the brake-button is dangerously near to the steer-buttons ;)
    I would like to have some opponents to race against and the lack of any music is also a bit weird (hopefully there will be added some music with a patch). But it's definitely one of the better -,99 games (just Look at the amount of tracks!).

However, am i just bad or is the game really hard? Maybe i have to practice much more, but atm i cant even compare to the times of of the opponents and couldnt unlock other tracks. I'll play some more tomorrow...

10. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    After the Touch KO debacle, I switched to Nano Rally. It's actually very good, and it's easy to follow along the track. The hard part is steering around all the obstacles which I have to say look really good for what it is. I'll have to dig through this some more, but initial impressions are positive.

11. Vinny554

Vinny554 Well-Known Member

#12 Vinny554, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2009
    HOW THE WAS THiS GAME APPROVED IN 3 DAYS FROM SUBMISSION!!!!! WTF!!!!!

12. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Looks tempting. The grafix on this one are pretty sweet.:)

13. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Impressions

Just got back home to find this was approved. Wow. Anyways here are some of the details before I start. Nano Rally 6 Environments: Kitchen, Bedroom, Office, Garden, and 2 others which are unlocked (and secret). The game has 25 different tracks, each which need more acceleration or handling. OK here we go.

[​IMG]

The main thing about Nano Rally is err.... being nano. You drive miniaturized cars around different environments. Each environment is set to be normal household items which you drive around. These normal household items are placed around to forms a track which you must navigate around though. These items can be anything from a iPod, iPhone, CD, or chocolate bar. As you progress the tracks get progressively harder with you skipping in between tables. Careful not to fall over the edge! The visuals in Nano Rally are top notch as you can see.

[​IMG]

Controls are maintained nice and clean. On the bottom you have buttons to accelerate, brake / reverse, and turn left or right. In the settings you can also turn on tilt to turn (with options of low, medium, high, or max sensitivity). I personally prefer the touch based controls because they are more precise for the tracks in Nano Rally. Each track in Nano Rally is slightly different from each other, so each track needs something more in particular. Some tracks will require faster acceleration, while some tracks need more handling than speed. Before you start each race you are shown (see picture below) a little map of the track you are about to play and can adjust your car setup to work just right with that particular track.

[​IMG]

In Nano Rally there are two game modes. "Championship" and "Single Race". Championship is where most of the fun is, as its the mode that unlocks the new locations / tracks ;) . To unlock new locations you must place in the top 10 on that championship. Your time is recorded and kept locally and you can submit them online (I'll talk about this in a sec). You also have "Single Race" mode for when you just want to pick it up and have some fun. Your times in this mode (or should I say best time) are also recorded. If you wish to submit the scores online to the scoreboard, you can choose "submit scores" from the main menu and compete for the top spots online.

[​IMG]

Overall the game feels good so far. The controls respond nicely and the visuals are great. Each track is different in its own way and the different environments have different obstacles / challenges. At $.99 Nano Rally is highly recommended.

14. Spotlight

Spotlight Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I'll wait some time, I don't think it's good for me.
    I prefer Black Mamba Racer-like racing games.

I was excited for Nano Rally since it looks like one of my favourite old games (Micro Machines for Sega Mega Drive), but without the other cars is not the same.

Racing by myself is not what I was looking for, even if I like the graphic of Nano Rally. For 3 more cars to race against I would pay 5$.

15. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    This is something I would've wanted also. I remember in that other thread for Nano Rally they were looking for names for drivers, maybe that was for the AI racers?

16. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Nowhere, CA
    new here....long time lurkin and brand new to postin. that rhymed...

just wanted to say this game....is pretty awesome!

didnt have anything to do tonight...so i picked this up to kill some time.just make it a little easier eh?....im strugglin to unlock just the third rally!

17. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

There really need to be other cars.

18. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    initial impressions are not too bad with this one.

after watching the dev's video i was a little more skeptical than when i first seen the screen shots but, in fairness, its only 99c/59p and does have a good bit of quality about it when compared to some real shocking efforts in the appstore atm.

the interface is nice and crisp although i share a prev post in regards to the buttons being all squashed down the bottom, it is a little uncomfy playing it like that so would like to see some alternative methods of control. i like the idea of a global scoreboard but im finding some of those times set quite tricky to beat, i like a challenge n all but im still a good 10 seconds of the leaders pace on most of them and thats just the easy tracks! if im being really nit picking, the way the screen rotates when you go around twists and turns is a little clunky when compared to other racers.

as its a rally game i half expected nothing else to race against, but i wouldnt say no to a drawrace style shadow car to compete against, would add quite significantly to this.

all in all its a good little game but does need some further work to make it a classic idevice title. if this had been micro machines quality id have happily paid much more for this. for what it does its worth the price tho. enjoy :)

19. Rozzwell

Rozzwell Active Member

Nov 28, 2008
    I agree.

...It's pretty lonely out there.

The controls work quite well. Just need to figure out how to skid round corners. Track design is cool. Lack of music is strange, needs some 8bit bee-bop.

I like the game it's just that...because it looks like Micro Machines (that's a positive thing), I kind of miss weapons, other drivers (Spider you Bstrd), weapons, oh and other drivers.

Still I know it's a rally game, and this is a reminder of why I never watch Rallys on TV. Racing is only fun when people are crashing into each other and you can hit other drivers with a giant hammer.