NANO - Entertainment, Music, or Game?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by rustcycle, Feb 24, 2009.

1. rustcycle

rustcycle Member

Jan 16, 2009
    software engineer
    Colorado
    #1 rustcycle, Feb 24, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
    Edit: I answered my own question after a period of standing on my head...

:)

2. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    What did you decide? :)

3. rustcycle

rustcycle Member

Jan 16, 2009
    software engineer
    Colorado
    I think it's a bit too abstract to be in the GAMES category and survive - at least as far as the app's primary category goes. I think people have notions of something much different from NANO when they think of games - but if NANO is more about relaxing and exploring, it's more of an ENTERTAINMENT app (though there is more of an 'objective' in NANO than in either Koi Pond or Spawn Illuminati - both excellent ENTERTAINMENT titles). I'm tempted to make the second category MUSIC, but it still feels slightly more like a GAMES/PUZZLE title than MUSIC, and I feel like in NANO there's not quite as much focus on the music compared to things like Bloom (one of my favorites in that category). I'm torn!

I did wind up pulling NANO Lite due to an overwhelming number of "I'M BOOOORED" and "I CAN'T GET IT TO WORK" comments that seemed to indicate that the users were 1) really expecting something different from NANO, and 2) may be more likely to encounter problems due to jailbreaking. I'll have to admit I'm a little naive on jailbreaking and the programmatic consequences, but after doing quite a bit of testing with my friends' devices and multiple OS versions, and with more reports back from several kind TouchArcade volunteers, I have yet to replicate the problems described - and I've had no reports like that on the original NANO app. A free Lite version seemed like a good idea at the time, but the low ratings due to the issues above didn't do anything to encourage folks to get the full version. It was an experiment, and the most important thing is that I learned some things to keep in mind as we get closer to launching the FORMation title HEXXIS. It's an adventure :-D

4. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    I love your app.

Of the three, Entertainment is most accurate, as you can't really lose... there aren't really well laid out levels, points, etc that might define a game. Instead you have ingenuity and experimentation leading to completion, which coupled with your excellent musical ambiance relay into entertainment more than a game..

5. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Thanks for the reply, and your reasoning makes sense. You're also right in that a Lite version doesn't make a lot of sense if it doesn't motivate people to get the full version!

6. rustcycle

rustcycle Member

Jan 16, 2009
    software engineer
    Colorado
    Many thanks for the feedback, both of you! When a person is working on music it's easy to get too close to the mix to remain objective - this is similar...when you're dev'ing it's good to get that outside perspective :)