iPad NANO 2.0 - The field is possessed!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by rustcycle, Feb 11, 2009.

1. rustcycle

rustcycle Member

Jan 16, 2009
    software engineer
    Colorado
    #1 rustcycle, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
    Hey everyone -

I'm the developer of NANO and I'm also part of the FORMation team (KERN, EYE vs. EYE and some more titles are in the works).

First off, a big thanks to everyone who has made NANO so successful thus far. We've seen it go up to #7 in the MUSIC GAMES category, and we're hoping to gain some visibility beyond that category with the 2.0 release.

I was chipping away at the NANO v1.1 update when I realized there were a few other items I wanted to add, and this would quickly turn into a v2.0 release. Incorporating the feature requests kindly suggested via the forums here and the feedback link within the 1.0 version, the new features are:

- Save game on exit (I know, long overdue).
    - New audio tracks. More peaceful now, and deeper / warmer due to some additional cello, viola, and acoustic violin parts to complement the e-violin notes. There are typically 6-9 string parts creating the texture together at any given time. I've been tempted to make the app more song-like and slightly less ambient; in a future version I will probably add some gentle melodies that appear on later levels.
    - Full screen flow field.
    - Binary level meter that also serves to add challenge to each level (see "FIXED FLOW LINES"). The flow lines that express the binary representation of the level number are fixed in place and can't be changed by touch. I'm guessing most people won't see that this is an abstract level meter at first, but once they do, they can predict what parts of the field are about to be immobilized in the next level. In the "FIXED FLOW LINES" image, the player is on level 112.
    - Flow vectors become randomly possessed to mess up your flow field - the higher the level, the more the "AUTOMATA" alter the field (however, AUTOMATA vectors may alter a FIXED vector to your advantage, and you will have to figure out how to leverage this).
    - Revamped icon / menu screen.
    - More in-game instructions.
    - There are now 255 levels instead of "infinite" - I think practically speaking this is OK. If you get to level 255 and it's still not tough enough, we can talk!
    - In-game links to two FORMation titles, KERN and EYE vs. EYE (watch for a new app to be added in the next month) - as well as my music projects Edifice and Rustcycle - to give folks the broader context of this app as part of a collection of projects.

Pricing:
    - With the additional features and recent audio gear purchases in mind, I changed the price to $1.99. I think $1.99 also helps to give shoppers some confidence that there is some polish and production value to the product. Is this a fair price compared to Bloom, Newtonica, and Buddha Machine?
    - To let folks give NANO a try, NANO LITE will be free, and includes the first 4 levels (with a bit more of the AUTOMATA vectors appearing, just so you have a taste for that).

I hope you enjoy the changes, looking forward to feedback to help drive version 2.1!

NANO links
    App store: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=301310346
    Appshopper: http://appshopper.com/games/nano

NANO LITE links
    App store: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=305170282
    Appshopper: http://appshopper.com/games/nano-lite

Attached Files:

2. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    #2 le'deuche123, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
    That looks really good. I'll try the lite today. oops the lite is not out yet. Count me in though.

3. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Looks fantastic! Good luck with it! :)

I love musical games and it's already pretty awesome, but the update is really going to improve it. ;)

Thanks!

4. BadSanta

BadSanta Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Milan,Italy
    G.R.E.A.T update! :)

5. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Fantastic! Been highly anticipating this update.

6. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Looking forward to giving this a try.

7. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for posting all this info in this way (format), that's how we like it here! Much appreciated. :)
    It's so easy to lose a lot of time with NANO, I'm looking forward to getting this update on my device.
    Thank you for all the improvements!!

8. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    damn it... price went up from .99 to 1.99... :(

9. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Yay, the update is out! :D
    Unfortunately, I don't have time to play today... :(

10. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Wait, what's this? I can't download it or access the product page, it says that it's not available in the Dutch store?!?

I hope it simply isn't available yet because of some servers or something, otherwise the dev needs to fix this.

11. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    While updating the game is temporarily unavailable, it'll show up soon.

Can't wait to download it, I love this game. :D

12. TSP

TSP Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Male
    Teacher.
    Sweden
    Not available in either the US nor the Swedish store.

13. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    transferring back to my phone now! i really liked this before, now it's so much better i hope!

14. Fome

Fome Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Hmmm, seems odd that the page would disappear for 2 days because of updating...I mean other apps still have the prior version available up until right before the update hits the store.

15. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Yeah it still isn't available, more than 9 hours later. I don't think this is good, I'll email the developer about it just to be sure.

16. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    The dev checked this on his iPhone and has the same issue. He's looking into it.

17. BadSanta

BadSanta Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Milan,Italy
    In the italian store the update is visible but not downlodable yet,never happened before :confused:

18. synagence

synagence Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Same in the UK ... saw the update this morning it said it was unavailable in UK but now its totally gone

19. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    still waiting for this update! in due time i suppose..

20. Oh wow. This game looks a heck of a lot like Auditorium, which is pretty addictive, yet soothing and very zen-like. Am I mistaken? I can't see the app on the App STore but the screenshots and description sound almost like a dead ringer.