iPad Nano - $0.99 (Jan 16th '09, by Rustcycle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by spmwinkel, Jan 16, 2009.

1. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    #1 spmwinkel, Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
    Today a new game was released by rustcycle, it's called Nano.

App store link: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=301310346
    Appshopper link (to see the additional images): http://appshopper.com/games/nano

From what I've read on the app store description and the home page (http://rustcycle.com/nano.php), it's similar to www.playauditorium.com.
    You place nodes that change the electromagnetic field and the way particles move. The goal is to make the particles touch the nodes. The effect it has on the sound is also a major part of the game.

Here it's slightly different from playauditorium, in which you use nodes to change the particle movement but the particles need to be guided not to the nodes, but to other goals. Another difference is that in Nano you guide the particles yourself, while in playauditiorium the particles already come in from a certain fixed angle. At least, that's what I'm thinking after reading the description.

This game excites me, but I'm not the kind of person that takes the jump to purchase a game easily. So I'd like to know if there is anyone who (maybe after playing playauditorium) wants to try this game and share his/her opinion.

I think it all depends on how polished the game looks while playing (how the particles move, how smooth it is, etc).
    Anyway, all comments are welcome! :)

Attached Files:

2. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    #2 Donburns99, Jan 16, 2009
    This looks very interesting. I await to see some reviews before trying it myself though.

Already have a large enough backlog right now. :)

Update
    Just checked out PlayAuditorium; very cool. Was fun and relaxing, all while keeping me thinking as it got harder.

If Nano really is similar, then I'd have no problem picking it up.

Update 2
    Downloading now.

Update 3
    The experience is somewhat similar, but the gameplay is quite different. Especially with the introduction of the malign (bad) particles that you have to keep away from the nodes.

It becomes more of a game of round-up the benign (good) particles and direct them to unactivated nodes while keeping the malign ones away.

Once activated, as more benign particles are brought to the node, it forms a shield which can protect itself from the malign particles and filter them automatically.

The music produced is not nearly as relaxing as what I experienced from PlayAuditorium, but it's not bad either.

Personally, I'm not as impressed with Nano as I was with PlayAuditorium, but I don't regret the purchase at all.

I mentioned that the PlayAuditorium game kept me thinking to solve the puzzle, this is not true with Nano. I think this is due to the player having full control of the particle movement. It's no longer a puzzle, it's more of a task to activate the nodes.

For 99 cents, if you want a similar experience, Nano is pretty awesome.

Update 4
    You can return to the menu at any time and play again right where you left off as long as you don't exit the game entirely to the home screen or turn off the device. Once you leave the game, it restarts from scratch. There are no profiles or any progress tracking.

That aside, the game is well polished; what is there does seem complete. Nothing feels as if it was rushed for release and I've not run across any bugs or crashes.

Update 5
    This is where the the PlayAuditorium game and Nano game differ. It'd make sense to think the nodes are like the directional nodes from the PlayAuditorium game. But the nodes are placed automatically when the level begins, with the particles spawning from the center of the field. When the level begins, the nodes just seem to slide into place from off-screen. The placement of the nodes change from level to level.

You use your finger in a swiping motion to change the direction of the particle movement. It seems to have something to do with the gray lines in the background. As you swipe, their position/direction of those gray lines (in the area of the swipe) change and all the particles follow.

The goal is to actually guide the particles (the benign ones) to the nodes. As more good particles reach a node, it becomes closer to activating until it finally does. Any malign particles brought to the node will deactivate it and slow your progress. Once all nodes (usually 3 total, from the levels I played) are activated, the level is complete.

Activating the nodes beyond normal, until they have a shield, is optional; they just need to be activated. The shield does help a lot though, as any malign particles brought past it instantly vanish.

Unactivated nodes are grayish-blue.
    Activated nodes turn yellowish in the center circle.
    Shielded nodes are the ones with that blue glowing ring (rings while animated) around them.

It is very smooth, you don't be disappointed in that aspect.

Hope this helped some. :)

3. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    #3 spmwinkel, Jan 16, 2009
    Wow! I was keeping track of my inbox for hours, hoping to get an e-mail notification about a new reply being posted to this topic. I saw your initial reply, but I obviously wasn't informed about your updates.

Thanks for your comments. The progress tracking worries me. If the game has a nice progressing difficulty, don't you think it will get annoying really easily to start from scratch every time? I mean, you need to go through the tutorial again I assume, and work your way through all older levels before you get to a difficulty that actually challenges and entertains you?

I'll wait for your/someone else's reply and send an e-mail to the developer, and probably hold off my purchase until something gives me the last push I need. :)

---------
    Edit - here's the e-mail:

4. Wulfsige

Wulfsige Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Wow this is my first time trying playauditorium and it's an amazing game! Why didn't they just port that straight onto the iphone, I sure as hell would buy it.

5. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    I also asked the playauditorium devs to port it and I believe many others have. I even believe that there's a topic about it here.

6. floob

floob Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I too was really excited when i saw this come out last night... but i was about to sleep and i figured.. ehh it can wait.. for the morning.. however i did spend last night listening to the music on the rustcycle myspace....
    still waiting on auditorium...

7. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I just downloaded this a minute ago. I was curious about it last night, but decided to wait for someone to try it first.;) I just tried www.playauditorium.com and really liked it. Thanks for that link.

8. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    No problem, everyone should give it a try. I also just purchased Nano after the dev replied to my e-mail. He's waiting for his TouchArcade account to be activated so he can join the discussion here. :)

9. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    yeah there have been several people pushing them to port auditorium over.. i'd pay probably $5 for it.. the music is the best part, and is very relaxing!

10. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    If you know any video about this game please post it here! Thanks.

11. rustcycle

rustcycle Member

Jan 16, 2009
    software engineer
    Colorado
    #11 rustcycle, Jan 16, 2009
    spmwinkel, thanks for dropping me a note - great discussion over here!

Philosophically, I wanted NANO to be somewhat like real-life activities that have a degree of ritual. In many meditative practices, and some martial arts disciplines, one often begins with a specific form and then you progress through the forms in a set order. One doesn't "jump back in" to the last form from the preceding session - working through the set of "levels" from the beginning is the means of focusing the mind and becoming centered.

That said, I'm willing to make compromises to make the game better - I'll add the "new" and "resume" buttons in version 1.01 (probably in a week).

There's a bit more info on NANO at: http://rustcycle.com/nano.php - hope to post images of the full-size installation version in mid-February. In the gallery, a ceiling-mounted camera will allow gallery visitors to play the game as the move about an area in the room.

I appreciate the feedback - I hope you enjoy NANO and continue to offer great suggestions!

12. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Thank you rustcycle for joining the Toucharcade forums. :)

First of all, I do have some doubts about the name of the game. If I am looking for game discussion, I generally "iphone" and the game name. So in this case, I'd google: iPhone nano. Those who've followed the rumors about a possible smaller version of the iPhone would know that there's an incredibly small chance that I find a lot of discussion about this game.

But that aside, I really enjoyed my first few moments with this game. :)
    For those who gave a try to playauditorium, Nano is also about guiding particles to a goal. However, in Nano you manipulate the field by touching and 'dragging'. By moving your finger over the screen, the grey lines on the background are repositioned. So if you swipe horizontally, the grey lines will also be horizontally. In turn, these will cause the particles to also start moving horizontally.

However, in each stream of particles there are also 'bad' particles, which shouldn't reach the nodes. (If too much particles reach a node that has been activated before, it will get deactivated again.) I have yet to find the best way to split the good and bad particles, but so far I used the shields that are created when enough good particles reach a node. These shields block malign particles. So if you guide good particles towards a node with a shield, you can then lead the particles that can pass the shield (just the good ones!) towards the next node.

Controls are convenient and easy to learn. I agree that the sound isn't as 'rich' as in playauditorium. I don't have an opinion on the saving yet. I just played a few levels and now I'm going to have dinner, so I'll restart the game tonight. I assume that the progressive difficulty lies in the amount of malign particles that are part of the particle stream, right?

(I realise that a lot of what I wrote above can also be understood from the game description, but since it's a unique app, I think that it's nice to have several people describe the game in their own words. If I'd be a potential customer I'd like to read those different game descriptions. :))

13. Donburns99

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Yes, that would be quite annoying, I personally didn't play beyond the third level myself. I hope a future update addresses this.

There is no real tutorial, just an about screen on the default menu that explains a little. The game throws you right into the first level with no input on what exactly to do. But there are only benign particles for the most part, so it's hard to mess up.

The levels flow pretty well into each other and there is no real separation of each level. There is no indicator of exactly what level you're on, so if you lose track, you will have to guess. When you win, the nodes flow off-screen just like they flowed in. They flow in from the bottom and leave through the top.

14. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    I just played again until I had some Flora (green particles) on my screen. Nice how they move in the opposite direction of the other particles, makes them easy to control. :)

I played only the first two levels with those (at least the first two where I noticed them, I don't assume I missed them earlier), and then closed the game. However, right now I wish I could continue where I left off so that I could see what would come next.

So yes, I do vote for a choice to resume where I left off. Sometimes I want to pick up where I left off, but since I started playing NANO I also saw why you implemented it without save feature initially. :)

15. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    True, but if you keep playing for a while you'll see that when the malign particles start appearing, it does get harder after a few levels. :)

I'm also thinking that a level indicator may be nice. Just maybe, because the absence of a level indicator also gives this game something unique and... mysterious maybe. It certainly adds to the ambience factor. :)
    So no, in the end I don't think I'd want a level indicator.

16. Donburns99

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    #16 Donburns99, Jan 16, 2009
    Others have already ported it? Are there any currently available in the App Store? If you can find the other topic, I'd like to take a read.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for clearing that up for us.

17. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    It's an interesting game so far, though I'm not sure what's going on most of the time. I'm sure it'll make more sense as I go.

I love the thought that went into it. Making the music go along with the gameplay makes something a lot more special.

18. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
  19. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Check out http://rustcycle.com/nano.php and read the section about particle types. Then look at this image:
    http://rustcycle.com/nano_types2.jpg
    (Don't want to hotlink it and steal the devs bandwith)

Basically, blue particles CAN be converted to energy but only if there are also white particles in the node. So you need both (the more white particles you have, the faster the blue particles are converted) in order to activate the node.
    The orange particles cancel the blue ones and the red particles cancel the white one. The yellow particles cancel both the blue and white ones, so keep yellow, red and orange out.
    The green ones are awesome since they light up the node AND give it a shield right away.

20. mantra

mantra New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    I really dig this game but I can't get past the second 'level' because it keeps crashing. :( It probably has something to do with my jailbreak; has anyone else with a jailbroken first gen Touch had this problem?