Universal Nameless: the Hackers RPG (by BoxCat LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    I have to get back to playing this, but I just wanted to say, I LOVE THIS!!!!!! Thanks to everyone who pushed me over the fence!

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

My pleasure.

3. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Oh yeah, no items. It would be interesting seeing different strategies used against each other, since the computer opponents only use a certain set of skills, not any and all of them. Do you focus on damage? Try to disconnect the other player? Use an energy draining strategy?

On another topic, I want to clarify the currency/items situation for everyone, since I think some posts weren't entirely clear.

There is one currency and lab points. You don't level up your characters, you level up your inventory cards, which essentially govern the stats of your team, as well as leveling up skills and HP. Lab points are experience points/skill points by another name. Money is used like in any other rpg. Energy is your mana. When people say you can buy items which replenish mana or energy, this is no different, in effect, from buying blue potions or red potions. Since you level up cards instead of your characters, you can somewhat do it at your own pace (you will need to find cards in battles, like treasure in a conventional rpg.

4. boodro82

boodro82 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Everyone convinced me to grab this :)
    Only about 15 mins in but I am loving it so far.
    Back to playing!

5. bxfinest

bxfinest Member

Mar 19, 2013
    I'm dying to play this with my Ipod Touch 5th Gen but I get stopped with the no compass error. I know there's no possible way that the 5th gen can't run this game so I hope the developers find a workaround for it.

6. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    I hope this issue is addressed. I understand that the purpose is to deter people from buying who don't have a suitable device, but an iPod 5 should be fine. Better than a 3Gs with a compass, I would think. I wonder if something changed in the appstore. Years ago, I would get one of several messages if an app wasn't meant to run on my device. Sometimes it would say you need a camera, but other times a message box would pop up that simply stated "this app will not run on your device" or something along those lines. Can developers no longer exclude specific devices?

7. JamesAtBoxCat

JamesAtBoxCat Active Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Hang in there! This is going into the next update. We initially had trouble with the lower generation iPods. We've fixed it. Submitting it tomorrow.

Psst..! I like the ideas in this thread.

Thanks for the massive support! *Jumps back into the shadows*

8. slammajamma28

slammajamma28 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Software Developer
    'Murrica
    I'd like to throw my support behind the "Add Achievements" idea.

I am loving this game so far, and I'm big on achievements. I'd love for some to be added. I'd replay the whole game more than once if that's what it meant!!

9. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    O.O More Boxcat!!! Yaaaaaay!!

10. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Fantastic game.
    Looks great on my iPad 2 but I'm using the RetinaPad tweak, but anyway since you can play it with one hand, it's a great RPG to play on the phone too.

Wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't seen you guys praising the game.

11. slammajamma28

slammajamma28 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Software Developer
    'Murrica
    I was talking with someone from Boxcat on Reddit:

"Thank you Slamma! Absolutely... We'll be working on all that good stuff in future updates. You should expect: More challenges, universal support, achievements with game center, and other things I'm not at liberty to say :)

...We just submitted an update last night (doing an all-nighter). Included in this update are more cards for the end game, a little balancing and iTouch compatibility! Hopefully it'll be approved soon and we'll get this thing rocking! Thanks!"

I've played through a few hours on this game, and I've enjoyed every second of it. Looking forward to the update!!! :)

12. Estrica

Estrica Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Great news, looking forward to the updates! :cool:

13. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    There's no need to hide around here...we don't bite...usually ;)

14. SteveAtBoxcat

SteveAtBoxcat Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Los Angeles
    #114 SteveAtBoxcat, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
    Back into the dev cage James!!! Get Back!
    Woo hoo! He gave me a free promo code to give out!

US CODE

FMXPR3HPA3WA

:D Thanks for the support!!! Trying really hard to keep visible on the Appstore!
    REALLY appreciate TouchArcade!!! You guys are the greatest and that's why we've already uploaded the iTouch update and are working around the clock!!!

15. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    Once the Itouch update is out, I'll do my best to get my friends with iDevices to get this!

16. DahakaJR

DahakaJR Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    I drive trains, Locomotive Engineer.
    Pacific Northwest.
    "Port Scan" is my newest favorite skill. I always use it first.

Maybe a suggestion, duplicate cards won from battles, would be nice to get maybe 40-80 BC. Sucks seeing them get thrown away. No biggie really. It's easy to make BC.

Great game, good job BoxCat!

17. sanitymops

sanitymops Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    hmm, I was put off by the screen shots showing two forms of currency but after reading the thread and seeing Sanuku's vid, I will take the plunge. I love TA for the little hidden gems I find. I hope this doesn't stay hidden for long.

18. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    Looks pretty cool. I´m a sucker for these kind of games, only wish Phoenix Wright Episodes would start to appear anytime soon. *sigh*

19. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2011
    I wish folks would stop saying this game has 'two forms of currency'. It has money, and skill points. If we're going to refer to skill points as currency, then essentially every RPG in history has two forms of currency.

20. SteveAtBoxcat

SteveAtBoxcat Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Los Angeles
    That's actually very much how we thought about it. We tried to break the rpg down into it's core mechanisms and really figure out what's going on in an rpg system. I guess you can say Nameless is sort of an rpg deconstructed (whoa that sounds really artsy).

Weird Thought:

What if in a standard rpg format, you only gained gold and you traded your gold for items, purchasing levels, and everything? What would the game balance be like if you had to choose between healing temporarily to prevent death or raising your skills to become more powerful permanently? Would it be boring? How can you make it interesting still?

What if there were no equipment either? In life, most people learn something and apply the knowledge to become more formidable in tackling problems. Not wearing a new set of clothes and becoming more powerful. For hacking, does it really matter what computer you are on? The knowledge is crucial.

Little thought experiments we played around with when we were developing this game :) Love talking about this stuff all day!

What are your thoughts?