Universal Nameless: the Hackers RPG (by BoxCat LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Mar 3, 2013.

1. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Bought it, but didn't realize it isn't universal. Has it been asked yet if they have any plans on universifying this bad boy?

Yeah I made that word up.

2. DahakaJR

DahakaJR Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    I drive trains, Locomotive Engineer.
    Pacific Northwest.
    Buying when close to wi-fi.

Excited for this one.

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Dunno yet, but the devs will surely show up again later or tomorrow.

But s'void posted a 2x screenie from iPad and it didn't look bad... more the opposite.

4. philodygmn

philodygmn Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    So, get this: the App Store rejected my purchase request claiming it's incompatible with my 5th gen iPod Touch because it requires a digital compass?! WTF?!!!

5. SteveAtBoxcat

SteveAtBoxcat Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Hi everyone! Thanks for the support! It means a lot to us as just a few guys who started a dream a year ago.
    If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me via PM. Also we're doing the giveaway for promo codes at the giveaway thread!

Http://box.cat

Steve

6. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Okay, after watching Sanuku's always helpful video, I am willing to break my no iPhone only rule for my iPad. Like another poster implied, if we want to see a universal build we have to support a good game despite our minor quibbles over formatting.

Thanks for the impressions guys, I am sure I won't regret this one. Also give PWN a try, as it was another excellent release this week that could stand some love!

7. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Rating five stars before I can even get the game. :cool:

8. the9quad

Apr 27, 2011
    Picked up both, looking forward to playing it some tonight when I get in bed, right now a young Lara croft and her tressfx flowing hair are keeping me from much of anything else.

That aside this game looks pretty good at 2x on a iPad 2, and with the dev being on here like he is, it's a win for $1.99

9. Indiania

Indiania Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Add me to the list of those that are buying this game based on all the high praise and no iap. The game looks really good, and I'm glad to see the developer on here supporting it. Downloading now.

10. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Thoroughly enjoying this.
    There are some really great ideas here that make Nameless a really fresh and unique RPG. The writing is good, and is often genuinely funny. The mechanics are all good, although they don't differ from JRPG staples (poison/stun/heal/etc). Definitely recommended to RPG fans.

The only cons are:
    - the "Help" section isn't available from the start
    - it isn't Universal!
    - the art isn't AAA (but is still decent for an indie game)

11. the9quad

Apr 27, 2011
    Just played for a hour, it's really good. I normally don't go for this type of thing but its perfectly made for ios gaming. Nothing too complex, and the controls are easy, plenty of stuff to upgrade, and it's fun o boot, well done.

12. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Just 2 hours into the game, I must say it's a near 5 star rated game! Highly addictive and free of IAP and it's value for money! Highly recommended!

13. FrankiePard

FrankiePard Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    This game rocks and is really one you need to have if you love rpg's.
    Story is very compelling and has some great laugh moments in it aswell.
    Music and artwork finishes it off...nothing but praise for "The Hackers".
    Awesome job!

14. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    ...and the worst is when games iclude achievements for "liking" or "following" the game or studio on FB or Twitter. God I hate that.

15. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    IF Boxcat manages to make enough money from sales to implement a new feature, I have a suggestion...

Mutiplayer battles. Since the game uses a turn-based battling system, and every player is likely to have different buffs on his/her inventory cards, I think it would be a great edition. Wouldn't need to be async either since a battle doesn't take very long to complete.

16. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Good idea. Everyone has the same chances in hacker duels. But the use of health or energy packs should be restricted or forbidden. Or do you want a match that's 5 hours long? ;)
    But that should be really cool. You only win by your tactical style of playing. GC Leaderboards for the best hacker teams would be nice.

This game is awesome! A W E S O M E. If one of you is still on the fence, feel pushed over by me. :p

17. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #97 Vovin, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013

As far as I know - it's a little trick from the devs to prevent you from downloading it when you don't have the appropriate iDevice, like a 2G or 3G or 3GS, which may be too slow or don't have enough RAM. The drawback: it's also affecting iPod touch devices. In the most apps - or a game like this - the digital compass shouldn't be required. But who knows?

18. philodygmn

philodygmn Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Ha-haa. It's happened a few times on the App Store to me and I guess that must be it, 'cause the apps in question I definitely could not see reason to require it. In retrospect, I suppose it should have been kinda obvious, if you think about it, but...*nods* App Store tip gleaned! Thx.

19. metalmandave83

metalmandave83 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2013
    I'm on the fence about this one. I like my RPGs to have high replayability. What's it like after you complete the storyline?

20. Melanosol

Melanosol Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    England
    "Thank you Melanosol! I hope that our game will run smoothly on the 3GS! It should be 1.1.1 version that releases. Then we'll work hard on getting a universal release afterwards But first, we are boothing at GDC and trying to get this game out there."

A PM I had from SteveAtBoxcat regarding playing on a 3GS/iPod touches as well as universal. They ARE coming :) So looking forward to these updates and seeing what Boxcat have to show us in the future.