Name your Mac

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by worldcup1100, Jul 15, 2009.

1. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Hey guys, I was just wondering what type of mac's you guys have whether macbook, macbook pro, or something else. General specs, like high end or low end 13" macbook pro. And if it suits your needs or if you need more (This would be everyday use, nothing insane).

Hope this makes sense and thanks ahead of time,
    Alex

2. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    In about a week maybe: middle-end-ish iMac 20"

3. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    High-end 13" MacBook Pro... which is suppose to last me through college... and I'm just now gonna start sophomore year... Apple, amaze me.

4. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    #4 eggzbacon, Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
    1st gen black Macbook, and it still PWNS

EDIT:
    Apple's gonna amaze you.
    Trust me

5. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    MacBook Pro 13" 2.26GHz, soon to have 4GB RAM. :cool: :D

6. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    White plastic MacBook from late 2006. Still going fine, though I have upgraded the RAM and replaced two failed hard drives. Running the most recent Leopard. I need to squeeze two more years out of this baby.

7. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Brand-new 24" iMac delivered last week Thursday! Gorgeous machine and damn fast.
    2.66Ghz CPU, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD (Basically cheapest 24" iMac with upgraded hard disk). Currently using it for basic net surfing, and iChat to family members, but once I've settled down more, will use it for ripping more DVDs and hosting music and movies. When our baby is born, will be taking loads of photos and movie clips of the baby and distributing online to friends and family. And if I have endless amounts of time, maybe even try to write afew useful apps for my iPhone!

Had a G4 1.25Ghz Mac Mini back in 2004 that did a very decent job of aging well. The only problem was disk space that was maxed to 160GB because larger 2.5" HDDs changed to SATA interface, incompatible with PATA in the MM. And even though I had firewire external drives attached, it all looks really messy with wires for LCD, firewire, power, iPhone dock, etc. Oh, and the single slot for 1GB ram max was a bottleneck too.

8. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    Macbook Pro, first one with the Intel chips. Has aged wonderfully so far, aside from the fact that my dog bent the screen a bit :O

9. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Macbook Air, the first ones with like 1.8 GHz and 1 GB RAM and 70 GB internal memory.

10. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    Intel 2.4 Ghz alum 13" MacBook. Got ripped since do movie prod, Apple took out firewire. Steve Jobs responded to emails posted on Appleinsider that all consumer camcorders use USB, so thats the future... a bunch of BS for me and my needs.
    Now 6 months later, the 13"ers have what? Firewire 800. Go figure.:confused:

11. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

2.5GHz G5 Power Mac, with a 2006 Mac mini for iPhone dev, running in a VLC window from my G5. After almost 5 years the G5 is finally starting to feel a little limited in a few areas, so I'll get a Mac Pro the next time they refresh that.

--Eric

12. worldcup1100

Feb 2, 2009
    Thanks for the replies guys. But, I guess what I was asking in so many words, was if you guys think I would be alright with the low-end macbook pro as long as I don't do anything crazy?
    And I suspect I will never get into it, but would the low-end macbook pro be enough for app design?

13. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Unless you're gonna go crazy with particle effects, detailed 3D animation, complex lighting effects, and loads of music and cut scenes, you should be fine. I mean, plenty of apps have been made with mac-minis.

14. worldcup1100

Feb 2, 2009
    Ok cool thats what I wanted to hear. :D

15. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Congrats on the baby!

16. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Thank you! Baby is due early Nov so its getting exciting :)

To answer WorldCup1100's question "would the low-end macbook pro be enough for app design?", yes, it would. In fact, some people have even managed to hack their powerbook G4 and G4 Mac Mini's to run the SDK software, which specifically checks if you have in Intel-cpu requirement. So if even those were good enough to do it, surely a Core Duo would too. Just max out the RAM and buy it online.

17. worldcup1100

Feb 2, 2009
    Cool thanks for all the answers, and I would assume SDK is pretty heavy stuff, so regular video playing and internet surfing would not challenge it much.

18. oliath

oliath Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    I traded in my gorgeous (and beastly) 24 inch intel iMac for a unibody 15" mbp to take overseas with me and have to say it's doing a pretty good job of handling all my work (and gaming in bootcamp... ahem) needs.

Only concern is how hot the thing runs. Right now just web browsing its sitting at 61 degrees c (142f) but can (happily?) crank right up to 87 and above when gaming. No idea if that is safe or not.

Apple are pretty good at admitting fault though when hardware fails. My friend had his macbook switched out for the latest model when his logicboard failed for the third time.... and it was outside of warranty too.

Oh... and to the guy who's macbook is to last him through school... i would suggest you invest in applecare. It extends your machines warranty to three years and apple take care of those who have it.
    If anything like a harddrive to the screen fails they replace it right away with no extra charge... and again... if they can't fix it or the model has been superceded then you will just end up with a newer model.