N.Y.Zombies 2 | Story, strategy, action, RPG elements, co-op and more

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Foursaken_Media, May 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrunchyGamer

CrunchyGamer Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Definetly a must buy at day one!! NY Zombies 1 was a great game, great atmosphere, so I believen this is going to be even better, thanks for doing a sequel!

2. Kbcorwin

Kbcorwin Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    God's buddy
    Seattle, Washington
    Just redownloaded NYZ, still love the game, shot gun could be a bit more powerful, maybe more of a short to midrange weapon rather than a "holy shit they are eating my face! DIE MUDDA FACKERS!" weapon... Although I do like using it for that...

3. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Well, hopefully we've taken everything that was good about the first and only made it better! And I know for a fact we've taken the WORST of N.Y.Z 1 (the graphics imo, haha... but in all fairness the game was made when the 3GS was just released), and made it about a billion times better. I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised at how the game looks once you see it in motion ;)

When all is said and done, I hope NYZ 2 will be one of the first games that comes to mind at being good at both setting the atmosphere and being scary, but while still offering tons of action and exciting gameplay (usually it seems like its one or the other).

Haha, really? I always thought shotgun was an amazing weapon... great at crowd control, blasts zombies (and even other bigger enemies) back at medium range, and completely obliterates everything at close. Remember, NYZ is all about weapon synergy, so we had to make sure to give each weapon its plusses AND minuses ;)

4. Kbcorwin

Dec 5, 2010
    God's buddy
    Seattle, Washington
    yeah... But it could be just a *tiny* bit more effective at medium range, maybe a two or three shot kill rather than a three to four shot kill, I'm thinking about zombies which seem 'bout twenty feet away.

5. Kbcorwin

Dec 5, 2010
    God's buddy
    Seattle, Washington
    Not complaining :) just the shotgun seems to bridge the gap between the chainsaw or knife/baseball bat and the pistol, but it seems to be used mainly in situations where the knife or baseball bay would be just as appropriate, in NYZ 2 maybe you could make it with a slightly tighter grouping and slightly higher damage at range, but I agree that weapon synergy is the most important part, and if the shotgun design used in NYZ works well with weapons in NYZ 2, than I say keep it that way. I'm fighting a battle I don't even support, lol :) I should stop, you guys are the ones making the game, you know what will work, we only make sure it does, and of it doesn't, we, as forum members and possible consumers, are obliged to complain, mak already said suggestions, and generally annoy the cranberries out of you, while you guys get minimal useful feedback... You know what, I think now I realize why a lot of developers don't bother putting up information or videos while developing... It's a bother with minimal rewards... But we love you for it, so please keep on doing it :D

6. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    great wall of china^^^^^^^^^^

7. electroman12

electroman12 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Classic! Haha :D

8. Kbcorwin

Dec 5, 2010
    God's buddy
    Seattle, Washington
    It only required 100,000 indentured workers to complete, and only took 2 minutes! Master stonemasons wen over the mistakes and filled and removed to ensure a smooth and expansive wall.

9. Fastbridge

Aug 20, 2009
    NYC, New York. USA
    Lmaoo.

10. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Hey FM, any new news worthy of mention? :D

11. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I was beginning to think it was a little quiet around here ;) All this talk of N.Y. Zombies 2 is making my trigger finger itch. I think I'm actually going to go back and mess around with the first one for a while. That is, of course, just until I hopefully get into the beta for this one :rolleyes:

12. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Sorry, we're going to be away until Saturday... in the meantime all I can tell you is that things are moving at a very nice pace. I personally am just finishing up the last of the SEVENTEEN unique enemy types before finishing the rest of the environments ;) I'm really hoping we can get the beta going pretty soon!

13. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Wow... 17 enemy types? That's awesome! How many were in the first game?

14. Kbcorwin

Dec 5, 2010
    God's buddy
    Seattle, Washington
    #114 Kbcorwin, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
    Normal zombie, normal zombie with greater health, running zombie, crawling zombie, jumping zombie, rock throwing zombie, policeman zombie, resurrecting zombie, fat zombie with stop sign, giant zombie, zombie dog, and zombie wolf.
    That's 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 zombie types, excluding the different skins for normal zombies and running zombies. 5 more types will be very much welcome :)
    Please correct me if I missed any or included any that I imagined into existence any time I played the game

15. paulm12

paulm12 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    school
    ummm Cali
    #115 paulm12, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
    Ahhh sweet! Loved the first N.Y. Zombies, looks like the second one will be even better...

Co-op sounds amazing, maybe some sort of back-to-back mechanic where the game switches the positions of each player/both players can tap a button to switch.

Also, I'm all for the node based gameplay. Heck, there could even be some on-rails sequences where you get to shoot in between the "stopped" sequences (like dead space extraction). Free roam would be cool, but I think this game works better w/o. Also, a co-op mechanic with on rails gameplay could mean two different, parallel routes that both players could use to work together on the same map, helping each other out and progressing at the same time once each "wave" was cleared. Also, with this, you could save your friend by shooting the zombies off of him, and the zombies could behave with a sort of "agro" concept during firefights. I'm trying to think of a good way to describe it, but its not coming to mind. EDIT: RAGE is the kind of gameplay I'm talking about; still trying to describe how the co op would work.

As for weapons, hopefully there will be tons of them, and possibly even customizeable/upgradeable (you know; adding scopes, improving accuracy, damage).

I heard something about gore, and one of the games that has the best gore fx, IMHO, would be CoD WAW (the one for consoles). Zombies heads explode into millions of pieces, and you can gib them too. I believe they had to tone it down for Black Ops cause it was so brutal.

16. Kbcorwin

Dec 5, 2010
    God's buddy
    Seattle, Washington
    I'm gone for the next week and a bit to the land of no wifi :( but I know I'll have some awesome news to come back to :D

17. Fastbridge

Aug 20, 2009
    NYC, New York. USA
    Yeah is deff my most anticipated release on the iOS platform. Please don't litter this with iap's. Charge me 10 if u want or even $20 but when I have to use real money cause I'm stuck somewhere in game is annoying. Thanks FM. This game is gonna rock.

18. agutierrez

agutierrez Active Member

Jun 30, 2012
    Hey i played nyzombies 1. What stood out and made it addicting was the story. I mostly played to continue the excellent story. When i first got it i expected it to be another brainless shooter with no story. I was proven wrong. You guys made a great game. Hope that i can beta test if you guys need new testers

19. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Cool suggestions, paulm12 ;) Co-op you will be able to see the other player (so no camera swapping). In case you missed it before, we're having the co-op be a mix... you'll have opportunities to team up with your friends to beat certain missions, and then we'll have a completely separate endless survival arena where you can team up to try to get high scores. We've got RPG style perks that you earn throughout the standard game as well (that you can then use in co-op of course), so it should make things really interesting ;) So for ex, say you like to be the bruiser... you can focus a lot on armor, health, and melee specialties, get in the fray and hack stuff up!

@ agutierrez -- definitely! I know I keep saying it, but we know there are a lot of zombie shooters out there... but I still feel like 99% of them are just really standard games with zombies slapped in them "just because." With NYZ (especially the second one), we're focusing a ton on the story, the atmosphere, and just making it FEEL like you're in this post-apocalyptic world. There will be plenty of action, don't get me wrong, but it will never be just mindless blowing stuff away... or at least that's what we're hoping ;)

Rewinding back to the free roam vs node based thing... we're still doing a lot of testing. By beta we're hoping to have players try BOTH modes to get some more hands on feedback... its really a tough call because there are things that both do well, and things that can't be replicated in the other movement scheme. I personally love the concept of free roam, but it remains to be seen whether players will have the same sense of weapon strategy they did in the 1st one if they can move around freely.

20. knighthalo123

knighthalo123 Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2011
    but the thing is if you make more than one co=op modes, the player base will be spread between the modes, and will prob have less people to play with D: unless u somehow create a bigger player base?