Universal Mysterium: The Board Game (by Asmodee Digital)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jan 12, 2017.

1. chuckfinley

chuckfinley Active Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Mojito bar
    I think each clairvoyant has to work from the ghost's clues but only one is right. The challenge is to come up with viable prospects. Of which only one meets the final clues. Mind you just played first to chapters of the story

2. chuckfinley

Nov 28, 2013
    Mojito bar
    Enjoying greatly. Strongly recommend playing the first two chapters of the story mode before multiplayer. The latter is NOT intuitive.

Also, a shout out to multiplayer folks, use the chat. It's fair game to help each other.

Strongly recommend buy. Very fun

3. #23 AppUnwrapper, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    Is the whole game really about looking at cards and trying to find something in the details that relates to another card? Even when I get it right, I don't know if it's because of the logic I came to ("Hey, that guy has a mustache and so does this guy!") or just got lucky. What am I missing here that people like so much about it?

4. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #24 y2kmp3, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    I, too, am having a lot of trouble understanding the underlying premise and core mechanics of the game.

Given that the game is designed to be replayable and that there are only a fixed number of variations of the cards, it stands to reason that any "clue" linking each card must lack a one-to-one specificity to the case. Therefore, at any given turn of the game when the player is required to "declare" something about the case, that declaration is at best a guess among a number of "equally probable" possibilities or interpretations. This means, even you play the game with a "perfect" strategy, you can lose simply because you choose wrongly. It is possible that only a single solution is foreseeable at the final turn of the game when ALL of the cards that are available are ALL revealed. However, at this final turn, you may already be locked into an unwinnable state because you are too far behind and do not have enough cards to make a specific deduction.

This is admittedly a clever way to disguise a random element into a game that is partially based on strategy. Rather than basing on a dice roll, you take this "random" roll by choosing rightly or wrongly an interpretation of the card you are given.

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Add me to the bunch who don't have the slightest clue what they're doing. Maybe it's because I'm on SE, but examining the cards is taxing. It's headache inducing trying to make connections and I would suspect that's due to a combination of the small screen and a lack of communication, face to face interaction and reasoning between human beings. :/

6. I didn't even bother trying on my iPhone. Can't imagine that pain. It's already bothersome to look for tiny details on my iPad.

7. chuckfinley

Nov 28, 2013
    Mojito bar
    Suggest you jump in multiplayer games with a group who chats. This is a collaborative game. It's remarkable how I won't see something but a team mate offers great suggestions. Ok next turn I help them. 3-4 brains together make it winnable and damn fun

8. jag64

jag64 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Bug

on ipad it always crashes after the second guess: room! it's unplayable! i read from other players having the same issue. iphone works fine

9. I tried doing a multiplayer quick game. It was a mess. Ghosts taking forever to choose vision cards, just a ton of waiting. Who has patience for this?

10. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    #30 mzinn, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    I haven't hit the buy button yet. But after watching some How to Play videos of the board game it's making more sense to me now. But after so many issues guess I'll have to pass until some updates hit.

11. Ckoerner

Ckoerner New Member

Jan 14, 2017
    This is a great board game. It's a little complicated to start off with the various phases and mechanics. I'm a little bummed the digital version doesn't have local multi-player. Passing around the device at a gathering of friends would make for a great party activity.

12. ChromaTick

ChromaTick Member

Jun 29, 2011
    This is exactly why I haven't bought it. I was really surprised that wasn't a feature for this game.

13. Bucusse

Bucusse Member

Nov 18, 2016
    Barcelona
    Worst game ever!

14. Derprozess

Derprozess Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    With such a well argued review I almost regret my second purchase of the year

15. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    #35 skoptic, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Any details about why you don't regret it? ;) I've not heard much positive...

16. Derprozess

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    #36 Derprozess, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    What I like about it: first and foremost, the graphics are absolutely stunning on my air.

I'm a big fan of mystery solving (games), and I think this is the only game I know of where you can solve (imaginary) crimes by playing along others. The intuition doesn't play a very big part of the game (IMO), when you find yourself out of any clues the magnifying glasses reveals the connection (almost) every time. Sometimes the strange forms found in the visions -- strange shadows, a unicorn who looks like short knife, a sign graven in a wall, etc and not strictly a direct reference to a suspect -- will help you to move forward.

Loading times are very short, close to none; the maximum combination of cards is huge but the offline gameplay I think is rather short, I played half of the content in less than two hours. The possibility of choosing difficulty settings helps a lot so the younger and inexperienced players to accommodate with the game's mechanics.

Online is incredible if you have close friends wanting to play alongside you. I've played couple of hours with my family (4 players), and we had a blast. Playing with strangers is indeed problematic and since some reviews are very negative (without even trying the online gameplay -- that guy giving it one star should have played with friends and only after that to write that joke of a review; how many board games receiving much better ratings weren't made for playing with close friends only? This falls in exactly the same category, online and finding strangers to play with never work with this kind of games) -- not many will spend 7 euros. I'm not expecting to see more online players as time goes by -- but yet again, I haven't purchased it for this feature. (I hope multiplayer will stay up for making custom online games, I've had a bad experience with another board game 3 years ago who removed the multiplayer after a couple of months).

I haven't purchased this game for playing everyday but for having a good time with close friends and family, once a week or whenever we find the time. Also I'm not regretting my purchase because I'm a (huge) fan of point-and-click, puzzle, crime/mystery games

17. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Great write up Derprozess. I have been thinking of purchasing the game since I like logical elimination type games such as Sudoku and I enjoy mysteries (still wish for a digital version of Sleuth). My only concern is that I've been reading the tutorial is pretty vague although the recent update says it has adressed some clarity issues. Is is still difficult to get a grasp of what's going on from the in-game tutorial or will I need to take the extra step and watch instructional videos to fully understand the game since I never played the physical board game?

18. Derprozess

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    #38 Derprozess, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    The opinions surrounding this game are so divided (there are enough people hating this game on steam, why did they bought it anyway, I mean what else could one expect than a digital version of a board game!?) that makes recommend it to anyone impossible.

Btw, beside the 7 euro purchase, there's a 3 euro DLC with additional content for multiplayer mode; it also requires to make a 3rd party account (you need to activate this account via Devs' site, asmodee.net) in order to play multiplayer matches

If you think you'll have fun with finding clues in abstract art/paintings (which provides a challenging experience by itself) I don't think you'll need more than the in-game tutorial to understand how to play it

19. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    #39 mzinn, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    There are some great how to play Mysterium videos on YouTube. I watched someone walking through it on the Steam version so no only did I learn the gameplay, I saw it with the games interface. I feel I have a pretty good grasp of the game now. Taking the extra 15 mins to watch cleared things up for me.

20. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Thanks - that's really helpful. I have both Pandemic and Colt, but the feedback on this (and the implementation of Colt) has left me a little wary. I think you nailed it with the suggestion that a good group of existing friends may benefit more from the multiplayer of this type of game. None of my family or board game group play digital really, and other reviews seem to echo this sentiment (that playing with strangers can be a bit hit or miss dependant on their level of collaboration).