iPad My word coach....by gameloft

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by davidtouch5, Dec 3, 2008.

1. davidtouch5

davidtouch5 Member

Dec 2, 2008
    gameloft released a game called my word coach it's 9.99 and it's a word like game I'm curious if this is worth 10 bucks even though it's made by gameloft it could be overpriced thAnks

2. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Link please?!

3. aghartastudio

aghartastudio Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    And I nearly got shot on sight because of my pricing policy! ;)

4. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I've never liked gameloft to begin with, only because of their games. But now I'm starting to hate them for their prices... Like is UNO really worth 8 bucks?

5. Fubit86

Fubit86 Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    STUDENT
    Seattle, WA
    Whoa! Yes, SOME of their games are overpriced, but they make (mostly) quality games.

Asphalt 4 is fun, BIA is !!AWESOME!!, etc...

Them and EA make really good games so long as they aren't watered down.

I mean really, is eight bucks THAT MUCH???

6. l33j0hn

l33j0hn Member

Oct 30, 2008
    With 8 bucks I could buy Dizzybee 8 times =) which is a really polished game imo.
    Although, thats just speaking hypothetically.

7. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Dude, Gameloft is starting to be my favorite game company for iPhone because of their games!

Guitar Rock Tour is where they started to get some really great games! I love this one!

Brothers in Arms just freaking BLEW MY MIND, it's soooooooo fun!!!!

And I know Gameloft does overprice a few of their games, but most of their games are higher quality than anything in the app store.

8. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I not need these game, my Anglish is perfact alrady!

9. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Agreed!
    I love gameloft :p
    I cant wait for Ferrai, it looks prettty awesome

10. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Gameloft is really good, they are my second favorite after Freeverse. Freeverse makes great games and has great support. Gameloft makes great games, but the support sucks. I actually consider the quality of the Freeverse games to be higher. I'm just glad that they got rid of the finger tracking light, that was strange, but it was mostly annoying.

11. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    For a card game, yes. How much is a deck of UNO cards worth?

Honestly, I never played the games you guys mentioned, but the ones i did play were just overdone so much. Like why does Sudoku need some anime character for all the instruction screens and stuff? It's a real turn off. And just from looking at other games like their breakout-clone, I can just tell that they just overdid a simple game. And UNO, why do you have to earn all this stupid crap like icons and backgrounds? What's the point? Like they're trying so hard to make as much gameplay as they can out of it.

UNO should be $5 IMO, it's a good app, a good game, but what makes this version $3 more from the click wheel version? Online multiplayer that doesn't even work?

12. HandheldGames

HandheldGames Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    CEO & Founder, Creative Director, Producer, & Desi
    Lynnwood, Washington
    Looks like they are leveraging a LOT of Ubisoft's catalog from all platforms....Guess someone is serious about the iPhone. Considering most of these games retail for $30 or so on the DS - they are making similar profit - with no distribution headaches, returned inventory, etc.

Could be the way of the iPhone marketplace. And a way to hit the handheld console guys in the pocketbook.

Digital Distribution is NOW! WooHoo!

13. Mahaa93

Mahaa93 Well-Known Member

So, has anyone tried out this game? :)

14. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Me agriis wis yoo.:cool:

15. Pl0cks

Pl0cks Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    California
    I have this game and I have to say I love it! If you played the DS version of it, its almost identical to it. It's a fun and easy way to learn new words and definitions I highly recommend it.

16. ficbot

ficbot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Looks like there is a French version out too now---I was hoping it was the DS game 'My French Coach' (if it was, I could sell my DS---I use that game when teaching, so I have been keeping the DS for it) but it seems like it is instead a French version of the English Word Coach game. It's also only $4.99 instead of $9.99. So, if you want to play and you know French, you can save some cash :)

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=296702718&mt=8

17. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    #18 salsamd, Dec 12, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2008

Can you expand on this. How does the DS version of the French game differ from the iphone version?

FYI: the US app store only has English and Spanish word coaches.

18. I tried English and French and Spanish and they even made my best of ds games section http://mrbass.org/nintendoDS/games/ Now honestly it was awhile ago so I can't remember why. $10 does seem steep though compared to other games. Maybe about right if your thinking of it as a dictionary. I think it's better aimed though towards people trying to learn English. Same with Spanish and French. Although the target audience is native speakers of said language.

ok pulled out DS here we go this is the English My Word Coach
    write in missing letter in CAPITAL...not lowercase

R_WRITE
    UNHUR_
    _NTRUE
    E_AMPLE
    FINANC_
    SUC_ESS

Provides very basic, basic lemme say that again basic definitions of words.

A legal document that states and explains a formal agreement between two different people or gorups, or the agreement itself.

ON DS I have to move left to see PRETTY then I touch right too see CONTRACT and choose CONTRACT. If iphone does this I'll be so ticked. Hopefully they show you both choices at once or hopefully even more.

Like I said I think this is best for learners of the English language and not native English speakers.

A safe or peaceful place (touch left SLIGHT, touch right HAVEN)

Last example it's a doozy
    To remove your clothes or remove the clothes from someone else.
    (touch left CHARGE , touch right UNDRESS)...I'm gonna have to go with CHARGE!!! for the win.

19. ficbot

ficbot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    'My French Coach' on DS is totally different from the game I just downloaded to my iPod. It has an interface mostly in English, and there is a test where they give you a level. Then there are mini-lessons followed by various games (word searches, whack-a-mole words, multiple choice) you play to work on the vocab in the lesson. After you get a certain number of points, it advances you to the next lesson.

'Mon Coach Personnel' for the iPod Touch/iPhone is completely in French (although it did ask in the profile if French was my mother tongue or not) and a lot less polished. The set-up was brief (name, country, birthday and then it gave me maybe two dozen words and asked if I recognized them) and so far, I have only played two games. One was filling in the missing letters and the other was choosing from multiple choice definitions to match up to a given word. In both cases they cautioned me that playing too many times in one day would max out my points and not allow me to advance any quicker. But I am assuming, as there are more boxes on the game screen that are empty, that eventually I will unlock more games.

I really hope they port over 'My French Coach.' I like it better, and it seems more geared for those who are not native speakers. This other game seems like it is geared for French speakers the same way 'My Word Coach' is geared for English speakers. My French is good enough to play it, but I can't really use it with my students.