My Own Civilization

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Airapport, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Airapport

Airapport Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2016
    I entered indie gamedev in 2010 with a dream to make my own turn-based global strategy. Since then I released 25 games, which won 10 awards at various contests. Among them were turn-based strategies for example, CardsWars, a combination of cards and risk.

Now I feel ready for a bigger TBS, which will reflect the expansion of your nation over centuries.

I think, mobile devices lack these type of games now. My personal best are a series of EasyPlay (but they are more Risk, than Civ) and "Musket Smoke" (this is an ingenious game, but it's a wargame).

The news of Civilization VI release expedited my progress and I'm going to release my game before 21st of October.

Here's how it looks like now:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Game features

Focus your attention on really strategic issues. No need to issue orders to every warrior or a worker. Actually, there will be no individual units. Everything: see superiority, recon missions, building, wars are defined by numbers and formulas. They are defined by the primary directions, which are set by you.

Flexible technology tree. Your technological advance will be defined by what your people are doing and its environment Coastal nations will sooner advance in seafaring, while the steppes dwellers will be likely to become a major land conquering power. This will be more interesting than "Let's learn alphabet to open a way to catapults"

Achieve your aim using hard- and soft-power. You can influence your neighbours, get them into your alliance, establish a puppet government or initiate a rebellion in their provinces.

Even if your country is captured, you can stay in the game as a rebellion leader. Gather enough resistance points to revolt and declare independence!

And if you expanded too much, neglecting other development sides, get ready to fight the separatism at your empire's suburbs.

As you progress you'll see the chapters from the future history textbooks telling about your glorious deeds and giving slight hints on your future development.

New civilizations will appear in the unoccupied territories during the game. They will receive a bonus for quicker expansion.

Map generator creates realistically looking planet with continents, archipelagos with climatic zones, rives, highlands.

Unique names for the map objects and countries are generated.

Now working at:
    Well-working system of relations between the nations and between the provinces inside one nation.

2. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    This looks great! I love the ideas you have for tweaking the genre.

If you need a beta tester I'd be happy to help.
    I also have TestFlight.

Great work!

3. Bethor

Bethor Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2015
    This looks like my type of game! I would love the chance to help beta test this.
    Please let me know if I can help.

4. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Looks like my cup of tea!

5. Armadi

Armadi Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2016
    I've played every game in the civilization series and loved them all. Definitely interested.

6. Airapport

Aug 27, 2016
    Thank you! I estimate the first alpha (empire growth, terrain improvement, basic diplo) in mid-september

7. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Take my money!

8. Airapport

Aug 27, 2016
    What's made:
    Coded map informers (their art to be made later)
    When you expand your empire you first found colonies. You take 25% of their resources, but they have a chance to revolt. To avoid the rebellion you'll need to use your soft and hard power.

[​IMG]

9. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    Really looks like my cup of tea!!!!

10. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    Will there be real nations or fictive? Also I think adding natural disasters would be great and so much more realistic. Like earthquakes, floods, volcano eruptions and tsunami or even typhoon. Something like once in a while something happens somewhere and will slow you down or make you loose 1 population (if you have 8 then you'll end up with 7) or in the sea if there's a storm (which is why Mongolia could never invade Japan) your smaller (and cheaper) boats might sink (Mongolia lost its entire army on the way to Japan because of a typhoon, Kahn built many boats in a hurry and those where river boats which can't go to the sea).

11. Airapport

Aug 27, 2016
    The nations will be fictive (I have a built-in name generator for almost everything). And the conditions of their life will influence their tech progress. So, if a nation starts on an island and builds naval improvement, it will very likely become "England" in this world. And the step-dwellers will become the major land conquering force like Mongols.

For now I eliminated all the random from the game, but I'll think how to introduce various factors which slows down the civilization growth.

12. Airapport

Aug 27, 2016
    Colonies now can revolt! (The unrest points are gained from the resources you took as a tribute to the metro). Now need to balance carefully revolt and revolt-prevention activities

13. Airapport

Aug 27, 2016
    Gameplay animation

This Saturday I can share an animated gif of my own turn-base strategy gameplay.

[​IMG]

Here you see as I start, improve terrain, explore territory. Then I found a colony. I begin spending my soft-power points to keep the colony controlled and avoid it declaring independence.

Later you can notice how the colony's border colour is changed and its own flag appears on the city icon.

As the colony becomes an independent country, it gains an ability to found own colonies.

For the debug purposes I show the current projects of all the nations on the map (even in the fog of war). In the actual version you'll see only your projects and those ones which interact with you: propaganda, war, etc

I need to adjust gameplay coefficients to balanse the process of empire growth/collapse.

Within next week I'll do this, integrate convenient controls and informers to make the game ready for the pre-alpha test.

14. ludka33

ludka33 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Would like to help test this as well. I do have TestFlight.

15. Airapport

Aug 27, 2016
    Great! Send me a message, please, to GENERAL{AT}cardswars(dot)com

16. Airapport

Aug 27, 2016
  17. Airapport

Aug 27, 2016
    New Interface video

You'll plan the actual development strategy, and your subjects will work to perform your plans

18. Airapport

Aug 27, 2016
    The new version of the Civilizations Builder is ready! The soft-power influence model was elaborated and implemented. Now you can separate a rival country into parts by inspiring a rebellion in it. Or you can involve an enemy into your sphere of influence. The AI can do the same,ans as you've became a computer's satellite you have to rebel quickly to avoid being annexed.

[​IMG]
    (Late phase of the game: so many countries want the city of Monad to become their colony. But the idea of keep the things as they are (STABLE) has the most of the supporters for now)

Other changes:
    - New strategic commands interface
    - City interface improved
    - New resource: "Migration" is generated from the overpopulation in the cities. It's spent to founding new colonies.
    - You can set the number of enemies at the start of the game.
    - Next turn on Space

Versions for Android, Windows and Web

More about Ideas

Political processes of the civilization are defined by the ideas, supported by the citizens. Those, who control the ideas will control the world's destiny. You can spread the ideas in your and foreign cities by using your diplomatic influence and rule.

How do ideas work

Every turn some of the current ideas supporters get bored of this idea and they give up. Then the countries, which have influence over the current city, for new supporters (of those citizens who don't currently support any idea). And, finally, the supporters of the strongest idea, spread it among the neutral citizens.

When the support of one of the ideas exceeds 50% the political situation of the country or a city is changed.

What ideas you can spread

Being happy of the current situation. By default this idea is set in your own cities.

Joining your country completely. You can spread it in your satellite's capital (the the country will be annexed by you completely) or in its cities, to annex it gradually.

Including the country into you sphere of influence. You can spread this idea in the capital of an independent state. If you succeed it will become your colony (satellite).

Rebellion. You can spread it in the cities of your rivals to make them break apart. Or, if you became a colony of another country, you can start supporting the rebellion idea in your capital, to set you free.

Please, note:

to propagate the ideas in your cities you'll spend Rule (generated by obelisks and barracks). and to propagate them in the foreign cities you'll spend soft power (generated by temples and diplomatic academies).

You are welcome to test the game and share your impression in comments.

19. Airapport

Aug 27, 2016
    I updated the game, now you can scroll the map horizontally unlimitedly. And the map sizes are up to 200x200. I've made several optimisations, so, it's interesting how will your mobile device handle them.

Also you have a button now "Make several moves until something happens"

Now thinking of a better ideas spreading formula.

20. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    So looking forward to it.