Universal My Om Nom (by ZeptoLab UK Limited)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Dec 17, 2014.

1. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Well i suppose i could get past it not being 2d of the game itself is really good. Does anyone have any impressions on it? Seems like there's no reviews here yet. I'm still hoping for some good news :)

2. Anova

Anova Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 14, 2012
    Any impressions? I'm curious what game elements there are for the price tag.

3. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    The whole, "kids 6-8" thing to is the only thing keeping me from buying it right now. Hatch and Hatchi don't have age requirements in their descriptions, so I'm worried this will be TOO kid friendly, but if it's anything like Hatch and Clumsy Ninja, then I'm in.

4. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Since I am the father of a 7 y.o. boy who was already very excited (and very confused) because he thought he was getting Om Nom in CTR2 (guess they've been running levels and ads to build awareness for the release), getting this was a no-brainer.

For reference, I still have Hatch, although I haven't taken care of Bert in over a month (again) since that game highlights the perils of premium but cheap, let me say off the bat that I am hoping this game does well at the launch price because they're already doing 10X as much with this as Impending did with that game after more than a year.

It is very polished and cute. Lots of furniture, outfits, toys, etc. all in at launch that you unlock for purchase by leveling up and then buy with the game's only main currency of coins. The coins are liberally handed out for completing tasks and playing the mini games.

The mini games in at launch are decent - one is sort of a rocket ship flappy bird game (tuned for not throwing your device against the wall LOL), the other is a match 3 puzzler which does take some thought. Like in CTR2, there is a "TV" that links to all of the Om Nom shorts they've produced.

You have 4 rooms in at launch, the living area, which is expandable and customizable, a kitchen area, a bath area, and the recreation room. The game even nicely avoids the criticism I've seen from parents with similar games where the kid has blown all the coins and now the pet is hungry and they can't feed it and the kid feels awful: although the foods you buy in the kitchen cost coins, in the rec room is a candy tree that produces candy for free at intervals that are more than enough to fill Om Nom's belly.

As I said, lots of polish. There are interactions with all the objects in the room, and some really nice touches: I bought the Christmas fireplace/mantle and when I put Om Nom to bed the lights dim and then the Christmas lights on the mantle come on and gently light the room with the same sort of twinkling colors from real Christmas lights.

There is only one timer, and that's Om Nom's energy replenishment. Once he is tired you either need to let him rest or pay coins to give him energy (they don't specify how, maybe there's a red bull dispenser they aren't showing ;) ). Pretty sure you can even keep playing with him if he's exhausted, but you will damage his health (they have healing cupcakes to deal with that :) ), so not a bad lesson for kids. Between the amount of energy he has, the limited amount of time most people will spend with a virtual pet, and the generous way they hand out the coins, I don't see this as any negative because you can't keep playing with real animals either and they don't even have the option to top them off.

At any rate, if you're looking for some deep Om Nom simulator, move along, but if you want a interactive virtual pet that brings a lot more polish to the table than we're used to, I'd say go for it keeping in mind that my 7 y.o. son is far more the target than me or you.

5. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    agreed I bought this yesterday. 5$ is a little expensive but its a very cute game or pet simulator. and Om Nelle is cute as buttons!

6. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    I'd argue that based on the amount of artist hours involved in this along with the coding to make all these objects interactive and animated that $5 was a cheap as they could go with room for future sales, otherwise they would have needed to go freemium.

I really hope they hold to this price point and it succeeds. We can't both hope for less free to play game design compromises while thinking we can simultaneously call $5 for any well done game even a "little expensive" because it's not. If my mother could swing paying $30 for Asteroids for the Atari 2600 over 30 years ago, I think we can handle paying $5 for something that took more effort and time AND doesn't insult us or our kids' intelligence. For the poster child of that offense, please see the SpongeBob Moves In game that costs $4 up front (was $5 at one point) and is functionally no different than the worst freemium game you've ever imagined.

It won't be for everybody by any stretch, but it's well done with high production values and priced realistically.

7. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    It keeps me off the streets.

8. extreme472000

extreme472000 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Its def polished. I'm 30 and I enjoy it.

9. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Thanks man. You just sold me on it. I have a 7yr old and a 2 year old (both girls) that would love playing it.........That is after Dad trys it out first.

10. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

I am enjoying it for what it is, but I would like it much more if it used the same cute 2D as the CTR games.

There is a nice amount of stuff to do here, much more than Hatch, which I managed to play for around a month or so before it got utterly boring.

That said, I’m not quite sure how I feel about the energy system. I sure would never play it for such a long time that it would be a hassle, but I prefer the good old virtual pet thing about putting it to sleep at night, or maybe like Hatch which sleeps when the phone is charging. I kind of wish that the game forced a bit of responsibility in taking care of your Om Nom, with the risk of losing it. It seems that it doesn’t have anything like that.

I would say it is a lot closer to Clumsy Ninja than to regular virtual pets, and for that I find myself a bit uneasy afraid that they will change to a F2P model eventually.

All things considered, it’s a nice polished app. I always though Om Nom should have a virtual pet since the first CTR and I’m happy with the overall result. Hopefully the app will do well and receive a lot of updates to add more variety.

On a side note, does anyone know if the app uses iCloud to store data?

11. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    You know the surest way to see it go FTP? When people don't buy it for fear / hope it will go free. If people buy it, it will never be free. If people don't buy it, Zeptolab will have no choice but to do something to recoup their investment.

Fortunately, if this comes to pass, I suspect they will just release a separate free app as they have for the other CTR games. Zeptolab has demonstrated a core belief that if you want their work for free, you get compromises. Yes, certain paidmium elements have crept their way into all their titles, but I've never spent a dime more than the up front cost and never felt I was missing anything.

12. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Well said! I admit, I find myself doing the same thing sometimes. Worrying about buying a game because it may go F2P. Like you said, it is on US wether a game goes F2P or not. I know us here at TA are a small part of the big picture, but at least it shows that there ARE people out there still wanting to pay for premium games. I know this subject has been gone over a million times. Sorry bout that.

13. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I am bathing a virtual pet, maybe I am in my midlife crisis.

14. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

#34 ednan, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    Does anyone know how to train it to jump 2 chairs? I’ve tried throwing him over 2 chairs I bought, and I’m stuck with 50% of progress. Annoying.

NVM, it’s stupid, all you have to do is to make him sit down on it twice...

15. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    #35 Drucifer, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    Question. Just purchased this for my son and daughter, do they have to share the same pet or can there be two profiles so one can have a boy and one can have a girl?

16. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    If on same device, will share, no separate profiles.

17. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    That's unfortunate. :( Oh well they'll have to share I guess.

18. Hayden H

Hayden H New Member

Jan 2, 2015
    Neuroradiologist
    Cowtown AKA Funkytown
    @C.Hannum
    @ednan

My 8 year old daughter cannot figure out how to clean the Om Nom's room. There's dust all over the floor. Have you all (or anyone else) encountered and solved this?

Josie says thanks and so do I,

Bob Newbie (Hayden H)

19. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    #39 Drucifer, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    I found this for my kids. Click the cart in the bottom left then the second tab down, the hand and the heart, pick cleanup and just move the duster around the floor to clean. There are other option too when you get further.

20. extreme472000

extreme472000 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Anyone else have the problem for the quest to paint om nom? I paint him anf no reward and it wont go away